I'm getting ready to build a few Cigar Box Guitars.  I had a run of Kalimbas that I did for my daughters for Christmas and they turned out ok.  Time to step up to a bigger challenge.  I'm going to make about 4 or 5 ( one may be a bit smaller due to the size of the cigar box).  I also plan on making some of the cigar box amps to go with them.  I have been doing a bit of research and I'm thinking of making the guitars with a 22.250 scale and 18 fret due to the box size.  Any thoughts?  Did I mention, I've never played a guitar.

Dan

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It really helps to know a rancher when your building a guitar.  Look at the bone I got today for free!   This should make some good nuts and saddles.306259439?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I found another use for my dedicated mortise machine that sits and collects dust most of the time.  This carpet set tool had a 5/8" shaft that fit into the collet with just a little reshaping to make it round.  I also rounded the bottom edge to match my 16" radius fret board.306259289?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• So that is now your fret press?

• Yes Dan, I will probably get more use out of it as a fret press!  Dedicated tools are nice when you have the room for them, but in a cluttered shop like mine it's nice to see it do more than a one trick pony.

• Well I've been working on the neck and fret board for my 1st build.  This one is an oak neck with a walnut headstock, heal and fret board.  I made a scarf joint on the headstock and neck.  The neck has a slight taper down to the box.  The fret board has been a bit more of a challenge.  I set a file for my cnc to cut it out, but then realized I didn't have any way to hold the piece down while machining.  I decided to cut the frets by hand with a coping saw.  That worked ok, but there is some room for improvement.  The radius for the top of the fret board is 16".  I built a jig for my table saw that rocked side to side to get the radius.306251005?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306252356?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I think I need a CNC now....

• Did a bit of work on the headstock shape patterns and turner layout on my cnc today.  I also added and engraved my build name for this endeavor. 

306251877?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

I added a turquoise and coral inlay to the 3 hole fender style head, just to see if it was going to turn out.  What do you think?

Dan

headstocks .JPG

• Wow, you own a CNC.  Color me jealous.

• I think you are in a perfect position to create your own distinctive headstock design.

• Thanks everyone, the parts for the builds are starting to come in.  I also decided to build a few of the cigar box amps.  I received a kit from Gitty and put it together in a Nub box.  I want to add a headphone jack, output jack and handle, but so far it's looking pretty good.

I've started working on some headstock designs and tuner layouts for both 3 and 4 string guitars.  I like the contrast of dark and light woods together so I think I will make the headstocks and necks from different woods.  My overall headstock pattern size is 8" long (including a few inches at the bottom for the scarf joint).  Does that sound about right?

Is bending of the neck much of an issue on the 3/4 string guitars?  Do I need to do a glue up for the neck with a center section turned so it's in a quarter sawed direction?

Dan 

This reply was deleted.