Is the neck on a cbg the same thickness from the peghead into the box? Most pictures look that way. I'm using 3/4 inch thick maple for the neck so with a 1/4 inch fretboard the neck will be one inch thick from nut to body. Is this correct? Thanks

Doug

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Doug, as Pick says,  at times you may need to thin or create some kickback on the peghead. This done to give a greater angle from the nut to the tuner post. This in turn creates more down pressure of the strings onto the nut, which can eliminate buzz and give a tighter feel to the strings.

One of the ways I do it {without a scarf joint} is shown in the photos.

Cheers Taff 306654745?profile=original 306655857?profile=original 306656925?profile=original

• Thanks Taffy. I'm going to make the peghead similar to a guitar with about a 15 degree downward angle. 

• Yup that's about right  from nut to body . (most folks do it that way .) some folks taper it   . but  imho  it is  not necessary .  but depending on what type of  tuners (machine heads ) you use .you may have to  shave a bit from nut  to end of headstock .  (some tuner stems are shorter  .. and wood varies slightly also .   some folks also cut out a space into the neck  for the body lid to sit flush .  or even more  in an attempt to add more reso possibilities . not to mention , installing a  mag  pickup usually involves cutting a notch  into the neck inside the box also .

but yup on what you asked  ;-)

• Thanks anonymous pick. Appreciate the quick response.

This reply was deleted.