1st Build!! Please tell me what you think.

I just finished the CBG I have been working on over the last few weeks. This was a lot of fun to build and I am already starting on the next one. Please let me know what you think. I tried to use as many hand tools as possible when shaping the neck and headstock. It has a standard Radio Shack piezo, tung oiled poplar neck, red oak fretboard with burned frets and cut down .357 Mag bullet casings for markers. It plays great with a slide. It is loud when played unplugged very nice sound in my opinion, although I have not heard any others in person to compare it to. After I adjusted my amp it sound great plugged in too.

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

cbg.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jim, very sweet guitar for your 1st try.I too especially think the shell casings were a stroke of artistic genius.Fine work,keep on building!!.Michael.
  • Well you don't really need my opinion but that looks great to me.... Welcome to the asylum....How many more do you have started? LOL.....
  • Really nice job. Like the 357 Mags as position markers.
  • I think I'm gonna go with .38 special casings for my markers. Still contemplating if I should cut in actual frets or just go with marking them out like you did. I don't want to complicate things more than I already have on my first one, now the second one I have cooking up in my mind will be awesome after making note of all the mistakes I've made so far. Can't wait to start playing!
  • Beautiful job!... I love the brass bullet casing idea, and the laminated fingerboard and tailpiece really make it stand out as a labor of love.....
  • Very nice, I hope my first CBG looks as good. Nice pictures too.
  • Yea they got a little tight on the higher register. I was originally going to use some of my spent .44 mag casings but they would have overlapped the fret markers I burnt in. The .357 mags left a little less than a 1/16" of an inch of clearance.

Godzilla said:
    Jim, really nice first build! I am currently putting my first together as well. I have to say I love the idea of spent shells for fret markers, looks like they got a little crowded down the board though. Is this not the best hobby goin?
  • Jim, really nice first build! I am currently putting my first together as well. I have to say I love the idea of spent shells for fret markers, looks like they got a little crowded down the board though. Is this not the best hobby goin?
  • well after seeing your 1st build, I'm going to ad the red oak fingerboard on mine. Very nice
  • looks great,looks like you put alot of thought into it-and it paid off
This reply was deleted.