Hi, check out this an old Cigar Box instrument from 1899 that was just found.  It is signed on the side "Howard Bristol Made in America 1899",   The tax stamp is from Sept 1880 with the name of the cigars - Concha Regalia

I will post more photos and info at http://www.homemade-guitars.com/

when you have some time come check out the history website of cigar box and homemade guitars

Views: 439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How cool is that !

I know, I just love ebay because it really is the best place in the world to find lost history!

I'd like to look at a few of those up close. I know there must be some creative solutions to all of the problems I have just looked up on sites like this.

Very nice,what a treasure.

Nice find

Its back on ebay and started at .99 cents!...it was listed for 850 bucks, but had no bids, maybe someone can win it now

whooa! now he relisted it at 1150 bucks!

I think this seller cant make up his mind, this is the third time he has relisted it all for different prices, this last time is way high!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cigar-Box-Violin-1899-Signed-by-maker-Howar...

Dropped it to $950 now.

The problem with old stuff is that age and value aren't always linked.  I'm surprised by how cheaply you can pick up antique furniture, which is often way better built than a lot of modern stuff.  Old stuff is only worth anything if lots of people want it and it's scarce.

I don't know how much someone will pay for an old piece of musical folk art - looks like the seller isn't sure either.

I think I would rather have my Grandads.  Maybe not as old but ???

If that's really from your family's history that is sweet a F&*^%!!!!!!

If my house caught on fire, once the family was out the window that would be the first thing I carry out on my back!

Juice, I am 77 now and I remember my Grandad Gillespie working on this about the time I was

in late elementary school.  After my mothers death I kept it.  I am going to get a bridge and some strings so

it will at least be complete.

B-

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->