So the more I looked at the area where the strings would touch the top of the box, the more I didn't like it. So, I decided to add a fingerboard and see what happened. I found some 1/4 inch red oak and poplar at the Home Depot that were perfect for the job. The 1/4 inch was just enough to raise the fingerboard high enough to make it more playable and resolve the problem with the strings touching the box.
I used the poplar, thinking that it would give the overall look some contrast. I tried to use the red oak stain, but all it did was turn the poplar brown. It does not look like I wanted it to, but better luck next time.
I stopped by my local music store and got a piece of bone for the nut and bridge, cut 'em, slotted 'em, and mounted 'em.
My buddy came by and we gave it a whirl. He seems to think it plays pretty well. He plays in a band, so he took it with him to their practice and was going to have some of his bandmates try it out with a real amp.
I am ready to start on my next CBG, using what I have learned from this one. The next one should be a lot better! (I hope)