finally got the nerve to fret the neck and ran out of glue half way through. so i got some more glue today i am using Loctite Gel Control in a silver bottle with blue side grips. worth the $5.80 AUD it cost. the other glues i tried either took too long to set or soaked into the wood and didnt stick to the frets.
The frets are made from a Champion branded split pins 7/64 x 50 mm. even though we have been metric since the early 70's there are still some weird combinations around still...
2 mistakes i made. first dont cut the frets until you have sanded the neck! i initally cut the frets too long and had to nip about 3mm off and then round them with a file. i used the square in the picture to keep the frets square.. mistake 2 was starting at the nut end. if i had put any thought into it i would have realised that the frets were too close together to use the square at the bridge end....the other frets get in the way!!
would i do this again for frets? maybe but i would take more time and get the fret lengths even. the trouble with the split pins is the metal is quite hard. it took me one night of work to cut and dress the ends of 20 frets. they turned out slightly different sizes and i didnt get all the frets even from side to side.
still i am pretty impressed with my first try.
the box is cut for the neck, but changed my mind about using a piezo pickup. will attempt to engineer my own CBG Nation Collaborative Induction Pickup. as soon as the parts arrive from ebay ...
got to fix the neck to the box next,leaving the top unglued for pickup testing.
then i have to stop procrastinating and fix the amp i am halfway through rebuilding. got to play it through something...