Yes, it's back!!! 3rd & 4th July, at The Green Room Cafe Bar in Birmingham..and it's FREE!

The two nights are during Birmingham International Jazz and Blues Festival -  Friday night will be an open mic, and Saturday night will be headlined by the one and only Hollowbelly.

As I've just secured the date with the venue, I'm working on the rest of the schedule. If you want to play the Friday open mic, please let me know. On the Saturday night, the programme will be all home-grown talent, more stuff to be announced. During Saturday daytime I've yet to figure out what will be happening - because of the nature of the venue, we won't be able to run the typical mix of workshops and informal stuff, but fear not, I'm hoping to get some official street busking spots and stuff going on, and there will be lots of other music happing in the city centre...so watch out for further details. It's all part of the challenge of running an event with a new twist on it...(ie new venue, free entry etc). The venue is a modern city centre cafe bar, bang opposite the Hippodrome Theatre, and home of the "Southside Blues" sessions so it's a great place to bring Home Grown Music to a new audience.

Views: 1360

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one John, glad to see you getting underway with another Boxstock.  I've been out of the cigar box loop for a while, too much real life getting in the way, and not been building as much as I'd like, but it'll be good to catch up with people again and have a damn good laugh.

If people haven't been to one before then I would recommend it totally.  the previous ones have been some of the friendliest, funniest and classiest get-togethers of good people I've been to.

Hope you're well John.  See you July.

Good to hear from you...I've sort of been out of the CBG community side of things to a certain extent, mainly because I've been so busy making guitars, running workshops, doing gigs, festivals  touring etc...ie working on things that will bring in an income for me...it's my full time job now: my daughter works with me full time..and my wife has just retired..so no pressure to keep bringing home the bacon really!!!

and Soulcatcher - I'm going to try and make it to the T'up north roots festival too.  Its been too long.

Great news, John. All well and good I'll be there. I had a great time at the last one, but it will be nice not to have the pressure of being on the bill at this one. That's not to say I won't have a play at the open mic night, if there's space.
I'm looking forward to catching up with some of the smashing folks I've met at the last two events. 

Roll on July!

I'll be calling on a few favours to see who wants to play at Boxstock...of course there's the open mic on Friday night...but I hope there will be a few people who might want to play on the Saturday night as part of the main bill.  Unfortunately, there's no appearance money...that's why I'll be calling in some favours...its a FREE event, so I don't have the budget that was generated from ticket sales on the last few editions of Boxstock. I'll be supporting Hollowobelly, and I'm pleased to announce that I'll be joined by the amazing "Lil' Dave" Smith on harmonica.

If you've not seen Hollowbelly, DO NOT MISS THIS...he does very few UK appearances, and his performances are always a very special event. I've travelled thousands of miles on the road with Hollowbelly and seen his show countless times...but the experience never pales..it's always a knockout performance...his passion, song-crafting, showmanship and sheer energy are unrivalled.

Sounds cool

THIS EVENT IS NOW CANCELLED. I have just this minute been told that the venue have pulled the plug on it.  They had cancelled other events earlier in the month, and now I have just been told that they will not host the weekend gigs. Sorry about any disappointment, but this is totally out of my hands.

Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to coming up and meeing everyone. Shame, as I'm sure you've put a lot of effort in getting it off the ground. Thanks for doing it anyway... hope there will be another!

Real shame, I'd only got around to booking a hotel Wednesday!

Aaargh...sorry, but this was dropped on me yesterday and basically nothing I could do about it.

Ah sorry to hear that John
Have you tried one of the local community centres nearby to see if you can have you?
Surely someone out there has space ?
Sorry to hear about this John. I was really looking forward to it. Really rotten of the venue to pull the plug at such short notice.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Pink Toothbrush Alternative Market & Record fair

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Keith 66 Apr 24, 2023. 1 Reply

Small box woes?

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Jock MacHinery Jun 15, 2020. 12 Replies

Newby

Started by David Tarry. Last reply by David Bowes May 11, 2020. 7 Replies

FX rigs and recommendations

Started by Alex Rigby Mar 25, 2019. 0 Replies

London One Man Band festival with Hollowbelly

Started by Blind Boy Fullers. Last reply by Blind Boy Fullers Mar 20, 2019. 4 Replies

Best Amp

Started by Seasick Mick. Last reply by Seasick Mick Mar 13, 2019. 18 Replies

Looking to play some festivals next year

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jan 13, 2019. 3 Replies

New Site goes live!!

Started by John Pilling. Last reply by t-belly johnson Oct 30, 2018. 14 Replies

Demise of Gibson

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Sleepy John May 3, 2018. 3 Replies

boxes for sale

Started by Rick D. Last reply by Tony Dec 14, 2017. 5 Replies

My latest build - hubcap resonator

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 10, 2017. 4 Replies

My CBG

Started by Steve. Last reply by Steve Sep 13, 2017. 2 Replies

Some of my songs

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jun 7, 2017. 2 Replies

School project

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Michael Fred Johnson Feb 5, 2017. 8 Replies

Old Timers

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by David L. Oct 13, 2016. 2 Replies

Looking to get started

Started by Hubert Knight. Last reply by Hubert Knight Oct 11, 2016. 6 Replies

I Could Really Do With A Jig !

Started by Philip Hale. Last reply by Philip Hale Aug 5, 2016. 19 Replies

Help with parts please

Started by Toofy Peg. Last reply by Fomhorach Jun 14, 2016. 19 Replies

Brass Eyelets - big ones - where to get?

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Fomhorach Apr 27, 2016. 16 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
18 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
18 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
18 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
19 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
21 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
yesterday
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->