This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 6566

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

House painting supplies.

Do like Tom Sawyer and talk everybody into painting it for you.

Good eye deer, Paul.  Grab a guitar and brush and come on over~!

I'm in the middle of painting my Bo Diddly guitar right now, when it isn't raining.

Well I finally got my Bo Diddly 6 string silverware box guitar painted and clear coated.

The box top is made of Masonite. I sanded it good and cleaned it off. I started with my base coat. A spray can of Rust-Oleum Silver Glitter paint. The can wanted to squirt more than spray, but I got the top covered.

After that dried, I began spraying on the Caymen Green Metallic. I wanted a light shade for a silver-green look. That didn't happen. By the time the color had an even shade across the top, it was darker than I wanted. I accepted it and went on with the many coats of clear.

After it was dry, I removed all the tape to discover that the whole paint job was starting to peel around the top edge and around the pickup cavities.

So now I've decided to use some small wood/plastic molding or picture frame material to frame the box edge and pickup cavities to keep it from peeling further. Hopefully that will stop any more peeling. Hoping that the rest of the top holds on to the paint.

Here's a couple pics while I was waiting for the clear to dry between coats. 

nice look with the paint. looking forward to seeing this one when fished.

Me too.

A lot of delicate work removing the back and all the braces. What's your plan?

Front scalloped X bracing with a couple extra ribs being a 12 string, on the back I'll add a center brace between all the ladder bracing.

Good plan.

hi Richard, I hope you don't mind me making an observation and a constructive comment, but to me that top looks like it may end up over braced, going by your plan.

The main cross braces are normally the load bearing braces, and the diagonal braces "tone bars" behind the bridge plate are to control the top vibrations, and are carved to enhance the response of the top.

Just keep in mind that there is not much free area of the top to vibrate freely. And possibly the extra brace is not needed as a strengthener in this area. My thought would be to maybe leave the main cross braces un-scalloped if you are looking at increasing the strength of the top. 

You have a double X brace [a la Gibson] system there, but with two extra braces. Possibly your guitar has a large body and needs that bracing.

The photo shows one of my twelve string guitars top bracing.

Cheers Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

New box material

Started by Taffy Evans in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Andreas Fischer 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

Electric Cigar Box Mandolin

Started by Thomas McGuigan in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Thomas McGuigan 4 hours ago. 43 Replies

Questions on wiring up two piezos.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 17 hours ago. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Darryl Tuttle commented on Paul Keener 's video
Thumbnail

When I Can't Hold On

"Awesome song"
6 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on StorminSteve's photo
Thumbnail

Bar Fighter Sliders from down undah

"Hey the snail showed up good one enjoy Storming Steve ."
29 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked StorminSteve's photo
30 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Spring Guitar

"great lil gitty, Dave!"
38 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Dave Lynas's photo
40 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg liked Adam Cripps's video
43 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Adam Cripps's video
Thumbnail

Go With The Flow (QOTSA CBG Cover)

"The red light works! A lot of energy and passion, I really enjoyed  Adam!"
43 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

SLIDING THE PARTAGAS

"That’s a lot of commotion twisted sister! It’s Dave fault, you know those artists!…"
52 minutes ago
Marcelo Vid liked Shane Speal shanespeal.com's discussion VIDEO LESSON: How to Play the FUNK on 3-string Cigar Box Guitar
54 minutes ago
StorminSteve posted a photo

Bar Fighter Sliders from down undah

Received these cool bar fighter slides today from down under from Jeff "Bones"Good stuff !Thanks…
1 hour ago
Andreas Fischer replied to Taffy Evans's discussion New box material
"Thumbs up for reclaiming"
1 hour ago
Andreas Fischer liked Taffy Evans's discussion New box material
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service