1. What is your favorite slide?

2. How many do you have?

3. What slide material do you favor?

4. What material do you not like so much?

5. Do you have in slide technique advice?

Pinky finger: my fave, a tapered Dunlop brass.    Ring Finger, 1B.  A ceramic by Dave Lynas -which I like better on some songs.   Badfinger a bottle neck from my friend, the Maddog.     Pointer finger, a big socket HEAVY!    Thumb- I really like a shot glass for a lap diddley.

Views: 2656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like what you said, Jim.

Well, I really like the 100 foot tall water slide in Dubai...oh.

I have a couple of glass slides I made from bottles and a stainless steel one and polished brass - all sound a bit different but no favs. (Probably don't play well enough yet... )

I keep all mine secure on my third finger with thin strips of some Moleskin or blister protection adhesive pads carefully layered inside till the fit is right. When they get grungy, a bit of acetone/nail polish remover releases the glue and you can re-do them.

Can't believe I did not already think of a shot glass! Thanks, Uncle John!

For lap diddley, I put the shot glass on two fingers and play it with my fingers curved under the hand.  Kind of hard to explain.   Shot glass is really worth a try however you do it.

Wow, good questions...

1) Favorite slide is a glass one cut from the neck of a 'Crane Lake' wine bottle. Local liquor store sells Crane Lake for $5 per bottle.

2) I have about seven slides at any given moment (varies according to how many I drop and what I drop them on).

3) I favor (green) glass slides cut from wine bottle necks. I cut them myself to, just, cover all the strings of the guitar I'm playing. Because I end up breaking them when I drop them, though, I usually use slides I make from 3/4" copper pipe. 

4) I've made slides from various types of plastic and resin tubes but they always sound dull. Too bad - the material is so easy to work with. 

5) I usually wear the slide on my ring finger and use my forefinger to damp the strings. I use felt with a glued side to line the slide for a better fit.

Good info, Glenn.  Do you polish the copper slides?

My first was a 3/4x2 spacer from the hardware store drawer, very heavy but a perfect fit.

A friend introduced me to using a shot glass, its fun.

I have bought the set of slides from gitty but haven't taken the time to try them

Advice: use a light touch, just barely enough pressure that the string(s) stops buzzing the underside of the slide, no more than that.

Good advice.   Yup, I had and iron or steel spacer and is was HEAVY.   Even my brass one gets a bit heavy, especially since it on Mr. Pinky.

I don't really like glass slides, I mainly use a copper slide I got 20 odd years ago.  

Damn, Uncle. That is a very, very hard question. I must have over twenty slides (not including the ones I've lost or broken).

Normally, I play with a Dunlop glass slide, but lately I've been using a brass slide I got from Gitty. I must admit that that the brass has a clear, warm tone when playing the high E string. I also have tried a steel slide lately and find it to be very nice as well.

So, to answer your question, I don't know which is best. I lean toward one or another depending on my mood or what I'm playing.

The brass slide seems to work well on the ring finger when you need your pinky to reach a fret up the fretboard. The glass on the pinky is nice for sliding over all the strings at once. The steel seems very sharp and clear which works well on many songs.

I have not tried a ceramic slide, but I'm sure I will.

Tom T

Good response, Tom!

I've had trouble finding things that fit my fingers right and feel comfortable. I've found one glass slide, which I love...and it's basically all I use. If I ever loose it, I'll be in trouble. 

Slide playing took me awhile to get used too. I'm no expert, but I think I can now make some decent noise with it. At least I can on my CBG's. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->