Hey folks.  I'm just about finished with my next build, which is basically a 23" scale acoustic bass with weed whacker string.  It started out to be a U-bass but the tuners and the strings proved to be more than I wanted to deal with. 

So I'm testing out some weed whacker string and it's going great except for the E string.  I tried using some .105 trimmer string and it was just so floppy at the E note I couldn't keep it on the nut or bridge...not to mention it had no sound.  So my question is should I try a different gauge and if so higher or lower?  Which one would allow more string tension and still maintain that low frequency? 

Alternatively....should I just tune it up to an alternative tuning?  The other strings won't go up an entire octave but can I go up like 2 steps with each string and it still play properly?  I know nothing about basses, in case that wasn't entirely obvious.

Thanks for any input 

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That short 23" scale is gonna be tough to get down to standard bass frequencies. Even on my 39" scale bass I ended up using plastic coated wire clothesline from WalMart  to get decent tension on the low E. I think your idea of going up to a higher pitch bass may be the best way to go. Not a whole octave for sure but maybe bring that low E string up to a G and if that's not enough tension try A. Then you'd have A,D G, C as the 4 strings and still have a pretty bassy sound.

That's what I'm thinking too Jim.  I may have to tune it up a few steps. 

thanks

I tried to build a Ubass also. 21.5" scale. I used .095 for the E string without any trouble (I guess it's an octave higher than a real bass, but it worked). Trouble was that I couldn't get the high G string up to that note, even with smaller trimmer cord.

Ended up just building a ~34" scale bass canjo. Repurposing the Ubass build into a long-scale baritone uke.

I was able to get the E with .095 string but it was a little loose. I changed to .130 and I worked much better. The G I got with .050 string.

So I got it working and I took it all apart so I could stain it. Hopefully I'll have some finished pictures this week. Then I just have to learn how to play it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Thin a top

Started by Mark Werner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 7 hours ago. 28 Replies

Looking for an amp.

Started by David Womack in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by David Womack 14 hours ago. 2 Replies

4 string info follow up

Started by Ronald Hanes in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague yesterday. 1 Reply

Folk Outsider, 3-String Stephen LIVE at Gitty's

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Jim Morris on Friday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Spike commented on Nigel McTrustry's video
Thumbnail

Nigel McTrustry's Original Yellow Dog

"The musical depiction of a bar-room brawl between Muddy Waters, Angus Young and T-Model Ford in a…"
12 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Kentucky Mojo's photo
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Kentucky Mojo's photo
1 hour ago
Taffy Evans replied to Kevin Wiley's discussion Starting a 5 string banjo
"Hi Kevin, very neat work so far, is there such a thing as a quiet banjo? I built…"
2 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #292 - “Hecho en Cuba”

"O.o super pretty build right there ."
2 hours ago
BeetleJuice! commented on BeetleJuice!'s group Three string guitars
"3 string phtoto"
2 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly posted photos
4 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked AGP #'s photo