Hey, y'all!

Townes Van Zandt (1944 - 1997) was a Texas singer-songwriter-poet, whose music has touched a deep chord (pun intended) amongst many of us here at CBN. No, he's not related, except perhaps very distantly, to those other musical Van Zandt boys many of us also love. Townes was hailed, back in 1985 by none other than another gifted songwriter, Steve Earle, as "the greatest songwriter in the world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that!" Whether or not you agree with ol' Steve, there is a deep knowledge of the blues, heartache, pain and melancholy in Townes' songs. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, please visit his estate's website to get to know him better (all proceeds go to support his children and his second wife, Jeanene):

https://townesvanzandt.com/

Several of us here at CBN (myself, Uncle John, Turtlehead, and maybe some others I haven't seen or heard - I know the owner of Diamondbackguitarshop and beStillroy are also huge fans) have done videos of us playing our versions of Townes' songs, many of which came out nearly 40 years ago. We realized that the CBG may be the perfect instrument on which to reinterpret and breathe new life into Townes' songs. In fact, we've been kicking the idea around in the Comment section of Uncle John's video rendition of "Flying Shoes" for the last coupla weeks (check it out), and came up with the idea for a tribute album, using only CBGs (I know, I know: Townes never played one, to my knowledge, and I and perhaps many others of you learned "Pancho and Lefty" on a 6-stringer, but still...).

So, if you're still with me, we're looking for MP3 submissions from those who play Townes' songs, wanna try 'em on CBG, may have never heard of him but like what they hear - any and all are welcome. His catalogue is pretty deep, so I'd like to lay claim to "If I Needed You" right here, right now! (hmmm. Jesus Jones...nah) ;-) We're also looking for someone willing to create some original cover art. The idea behind this is not to make money. We wouldn't want to charge for these songs or this album. We just wanna get 'em out to the larger CBN audience. As currently envisioned, it would be of a similar nature to the free download Robert Johnson tribute album, or the various CBN Christmas albums. It is not designed to detract from, or compete with, the Blues Album Dan Sleep is currently putting together for CBN, which many of us here are also contributing to. All we ask, like the judges on American Idol, is that you make your submitted TVZ song your own.

For those who are interested, you can add MP3 files using the Attach Files or Upload Files link at the bottom left to this Discussion. Record 'em however y'all feel comfortable: lo-fi, hi-fi, wi-fi, or in-fi, doesn't matter. You can PM me here at CBN for any offline technical or otherwise discussions. I will, eventually, get back to you.

Views: 7140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:)

:)

Gents (and ladies),

There is definiely still interest in you (turtlehead) doing Pancho and Lefty! If you mean, do we wanna combine, give veryone a verse - of course, I think everyone is still interested! We're just trying to finish up the choir bit for Two Hands to get Thorsten set, and then we move on to P&L.

Also, I think real life is getting in the way for most of us (it certainly is for me right now). But I'm determined to cut my Two Hands vocal track tonight, as well as If I Needed You (I played it Wednesday night for a harp-playing friend of mine, who blew a very sweet accompaniment to it - so sweet that I wanna record him doing it.)

Turtle, if you put the time in to record it i'll sing on it I already know the song so there's no time involved. I'd like to slap a whole band song together for this. Sitting in that chair for a few hours isn't as fun as it once was. Just need some new motivation insperation constipation. Tip for writers block read a book you don't like. Listen to music you don't like, because what you like isn't working.

Ditto me.

Good to hear guys.  I was just checking before I dig in. 

Ron, you're definitely right that real life's getting in the way (doesn't it always), but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The show I was directing went up this week, and while it was all a little stressful due to technical problems, it wasn't at all bad (if I do say so myself). 

I'm still up for a bit of Pancho & Lefty action. Turtle, if the backing track I did a while a go isn't up to scratch or is causing problems, don't be afraid to chuck it out. By the way, only just listened to your vocals and bass line for Two Hands, and they're very cool.

Having to listen to your own voice with no accompaniment is tough, it lays bare all those little niggley things you don't like about your voice. But, it's exactly those things that make your voice unique to you. 

"Having to listen to your own voice with no accompaniment is tough, it lays bare all those little niggley things you don't like about your voice. But, it's exactly those things that make your voice unique to you." 

That's why Jimmy Iovine invented reverb >:-E

True!

I'm going to try to give it a go with your version Vinyl.  It's such a solid foundation and better than I can do.  I was just making sure that others were still in.  Now that I think about it we still have time, I just didn't want to end up doing it solo.

The voice thing is humbling, but you're exactly right - it's what makes us all unique.  Every song I do I have more respect for the truly great singers who can carry a tune acapella.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hello boys.

Vinylhed has already posted a backing version for pancho. Go back to page 13 or 14 of this discussion.

Thanks for all the recorded voices for two hands so far (and as well for bass, clapping etc.).

The chorus is just amazingly massive - if I add some reverb it sounds like in church. I will probably have to cut the verses as some interpretations differ slightly  - but everyone will get a part of a verse!  So I'm looking forward to the next vocal recordings.

THorsten,

Thanks for the reminder! With over 200 replies and nearly 3000 page views, it's getting harder to keep track. BTW, I will be uploading my Two Hands vocals tonight.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
1 hour ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->