Hey, y'all!

Townes Van Zandt (1944 - 1997) was a Texas singer-songwriter-poet, whose music has touched a deep chord (pun intended) amongst many of us here at CBN. No, he's not related, except perhaps very distantly, to those other musical Van Zandt boys many of us also love. Townes was hailed, back in 1985 by none other than another gifted songwriter, Steve Earle, as "the greatest songwriter in the world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that!" Whether or not you agree with ol' Steve, there is a deep knowledge of the blues, heartache, pain and melancholy in Townes' songs. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, please visit his estate's website to get to know him better (all proceeds go to support his children and his second wife, Jeanene):

https://townesvanzandt.com/

Several of us here at CBN (myself, Uncle John, Turtlehead, and maybe some others I haven't seen or heard - I know the owner of Diamondbackguitarshop and beStillroy are also huge fans) have done videos of us playing our versions of Townes' songs, many of which came out nearly 40 years ago. We realized that the CBG may be the perfect instrument on which to reinterpret and breathe new life into Townes' songs. In fact, we've been kicking the idea around in the Comment section of Uncle John's video rendition of "Flying Shoes" for the last coupla weeks (check it out), and came up with the idea for a tribute album, using only CBGs (I know, I know: Townes never played one, to my knowledge, and I and perhaps many others of you learned "Pancho and Lefty" on a 6-stringer, but still...).

So, if you're still with me, we're looking for MP3 submissions from those who play Townes' songs, wanna try 'em on CBG, may have never heard of him but like what they hear - any and all are welcome. His catalogue is pretty deep, so I'd like to lay claim to "If I Needed You" right here, right now! (hmmm. Jesus Jones...nah) ;-) We're also looking for someone willing to create some original cover art. The idea behind this is not to make money. We wouldn't want to charge for these songs or this album. We just wanna get 'em out to the larger CBN audience. As currently envisioned, it would be of a similar nature to the free download Robert Johnson tribute album, or the various CBN Christmas albums. It is not designed to detract from, or compete with, the Blues Album Dan Sleep is currently putting together for CBN, which many of us here are also contributing to. All we ask, like the judges on American Idol, is that you make your submitted TVZ song your own.

For those who are interested, you can add MP3 files using the Attach Files or Upload Files link at the bottom left to this Discussion. Record 'em however y'all feel comfortable: lo-fi, hi-fi, wi-fi, or in-fi, doesn't matter. You can PM me here at CBN for any offline technical or otherwise discussions. I will, eventually, get back to you.

Views: 7140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and I thought I'd add our vocals to Thorsten and RTZ's previous mix to give people an idea of how it's shaping up. I can't wait to hear other people's vocals added. 

Attachments:

This sounds soooooooo good already.  Great job everyone from top to bottom.  The MAN has been keeping me so busy lately but hearing this has re-energized me tonight.  I'll get to work and will have no problem making the deadline.   This whole thing is shaping up to be the cat's spat.

Very nice Louise & Vinyl this will be fun to see how it turns out.

Remember submit your vocal without effect no matter how much it hurts

your pride, it will sound so much better when it is mixed!

good morning, everybody (8:00 am in Austria). This is very very nice. There'll be a huge, overwhelming choir, beautiful choir if it goes on like this. Thanks everyone for the vocals, I'm really looking forward to matching these tracks together.

Guys, this is just great.   Exciting.  

Okay,  I listened to Louise doing the chorus alone and to Vinyl's mixed vocals.   Nice.

Linda and I really want in and will get it done soon.   Will try first with what I know - making a video - just singing the chorus then convert to mp3.  Thanks so much to all who are doing this.

Here's my go at the vocals.  Did a bunch of takes and never felt great about the verses especially after hearing Vinyl and RTZ.  I'd be happy just to be a member of the choir.  But here it is in all its naked glory.

I also did a clap track (claps throughout) and a bass track on a cheap acoustic bass (not CBG).  I'm no bass player, but here it is if we want it.  I only miss a couple notes ;)

Attachments:

Here's the clap track and my mix to see how its sounds.  I like it.  Thorsten will make it sound superb with all of the individual tracks.  This has been a good lesson in singing for me.  I usually sing alone and this is my first real attempt at harmonizing at all.  Hopefully I'm at least adequate. 

Attachments:
Aaaannnndddd the hits keep on rollin'' in!

Jimi Z, thanks very much for your submission; great tone!

Thorsten, Vinyl, RTZ, and most especially Louise, watching y'all collaborate on the fly continues to be a thing of wonder and beauty. Uncle John, as usual, you did a very, very good thing when you suggested this song; there's an amazing energy flowing through this project. I feel so lucky to be part of it with y'all.

Uncle John, for recording, there's a coupla ways to go. You obviously have a computer. Download the free sound editing program, Audacity. If you are using a laptop, it likely already has a mic built into it, but if you want a standalone mic, you could: 1) Go to Rad Shack, and get a cheapy "computer mic" that plugs into the 1/8" mic jack on your computer. 2) Go a little more upscale, and get a USB mic, online at Zzounds, Sweetwater, Harmony Central, or even Guitar Center, or maybe from your local guitar emporium.

Here's a link to get you started in looking at USB mics, if you so choose: http://usbmicrophonereview.com/

You could also look at the iRig mic, which I have, which works nicely for around $45, but you'd need to get a tabletop mic stand for it, as well as for the Blue Snowball mentioned in the above review. But there's no real need to go this route; a Rad Shack mic is enough to get you started.

The CBN community is definitely watching this space, with nearly 2200 page views already! I think this album is going to, lessee, slay the naysayers (not that there were any;-) ), kill the killjoys (nope, none o' them, neither), and convert the unconverted (of whom there may actually be quite a few). Viva Townes!

thank you!

I just logged on to the front page and the TVZ tribute was knocked of the forum list.

Hope it's a sign it's slowing down but not dead.

RTZ,

Easy enough to get back up there; just gotta post a Reply, and it jumps back on ;-). We ain't even close to bein' dead yet, not with over 2400 page views - the album's not finished!

I'm still buzzing! If a little tired and emotional, from long rehearsals.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
4 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
6 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
15 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
15 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
16 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
16 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
17 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->