Hi all,

I am hoping to build a couple of through neck cigar box ukes and use classical guitar strings and am hoping the guitar stings will give the cigar box more energy to make more volume. I am not sure what guitar string to use for each comparable uke string.This would be using 20 inch baritone uke scale.

I want to tune to the standard GCEA Uke tuning and am wondering if anyone has experience with classical nylon strings to know what tuning up they can withstand.

For the uke G sting can I use the guitar E string and go up +3 to G with out snapping?

Can the guitar A sting be tuned up +3 to C ?

If I tune the guitar G -2 to E and the guitar B -2 to A will they be too slack?

Can anyone suggest a better strategy to use guitar strings for uke tuning?

I would like to do this using the familiar building techniques that I have used for my standard CBGs. As gifts for a couple people with the deadline of their birthday I just don't have time to learn and experiment with other building techniques.

Any insight on using classical nylon stings on these CB-Ukes would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Titch.... thanks for that instructable. .... gives me some ideas !

Ukes are low stress like the others said. Without knowing any better I have made a couple ukes with a cigar box and bolt on neck. I just glued a block of wood in the box and attached the neck. Glued on a normal uke bridge and no troubles yet - maybe two years old.
Check out Southcoast strings for sets of baritone strings.
http://southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm
Also, Living Water string in the UK, he will make you custom sets, and his strings are really good. Shipping isn't too bad either.
http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/living-water-strings/
Best of luck with the build and keep us posted, I love baritone ukuleles!

Thanks for the tip on strings. I will post pics and video when I get this finished 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Questions on wiring up two piezos.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

My love hate relationship with CBGs.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 22 hours ago. 14 Replies

Latest Activity

Korrigan replied to Thomas L. Knapp's discussion Lessons that use a GDG Tuning with High G?
"I may be wrong but I  don't think anybody breaks down tunings into which octave the…"
14 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Clay Clark's video
21 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked W.M. Peterson's photo
24 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked darren brown's photo
24 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Mark's photo
26 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
27 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Charles's photo
28 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's photo
30 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Clay Clark's photo
33 minutes ago
Shane Speal shanespeal.com posted a discussion

VIDEO LESSON: How to Play the FUNK on 3-string Cigar Box Guitar

You guys wanted the funk? Well, I got da funk! Here's my favorite little funk riffs on 3-string,…See More
33 minutes ago
George Ross liked Charles's photo
38 minutes ago
George Ross liked Jittery Jay's photo
39 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service