Took up CB Gitty on their sale and have .056" guitar strings, jumbo piezos, and a psycho distortion knob board (among other doodads) coming in the mail soon..

already had a 1 ft tall, ~3" diameter tin laying around and some music wire, as well parts to build out a 100 watt stereo amp...

So I'm thinking put the tin on a 4' dowel and wire it all up with a spring reverb inside the can... but feel its missing something. I'm just not sure what though.

So just figured I'd put this out there, see what anyone might want to chime in as far increasing the crazy on this build or things I might need to watch out for.

BTW - I am blaming Shane for the psycho distortion purchase. Seen it in 2 of his videos and really it just sounds too good to not try one. OK, so maybe blame isn't the right word, I just hope its as good in the flesh as it sounds in those videos.

Views: 468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lovely, another youtube channel I must delve into further..

quad uke video is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvoYGnkGcf8

And this looks like something I was contemplating but not exactly. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHUdBb9sDUo

Wait.. And Daniel lives in the same town I do apparently... This world is hugely small.

Hi Harold.  Yep, we both live in Roy.  I've lived here for about 6 years.  

Update - 

Parts came in yesterday. Can't wait for days off coming up... Plotting out the wiring and some other details.. I'm hoping to get this thing done before Sunday but ... Squirrel.

Have fun with it... on the spring, longer is better... if down the length is longer, use it... I have seen builds with multiple springs...

If you are going 30", the .056 should be great, but why not go with a bass string?

things I currently have in my possession -

Piano wire in varying lengths up to 17' and .046" thickness 

12x CB Gitty .056" guitar strings ( which btw are over a yard in length )

74 Zither Pins

4 foot dowel 1" diameter

various tuners, wiring kits, and misc guitar string sets, random wood, screws, glues..

Things I don't have at the moment-

bass strings

money ( went broke at cbgitty.com ... well worth it though... )

This whole thing sorta popped into my head AFTER I had ordered stuff and was kinda looking around at what I had. So planning based on what I have on hand.

Just an update here. This has suffered severe project creep and trade quest... I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the month... 

It's not like like your on a clock, it'll get done when your good and ready, I haven't done much as of late either, got several builds I have to get started on, just haven't felt well as of late, so lack of motivation has been my thorn. Plus, I haven't decided which way I want to go with my 3 string build I plan on keeping and playing, standard box maybe with a piezo, go all out electric with surface pups, or a nice res. So, I've got all the parts I need and then some, just have see the doctor about removing my "lazy bone" lol.

The thing about it is, although I'm not on a clock, especially as far as deadlines go with this - it is for myself after all, and learning and all that - I have had a major problem with focus and sticking to stuff, especially the past several years.. 

So its more about self-discipline/regulation for me.. At the very least, as long as I am putting the time in and I'm only leaving it alone to let glue dry and such (and go to work and sleep and all that) I am not too worried about it.

Part of the hold up on this bass has been putting together an amplifier to use with it- my little 4.5v preamp into blue tooth speaker just doesn't seem up to the sonic challenge I have in mind with this..

The bass itself has suffered project / feature creep. The Gitty Gang Show on Friday was hilariously on time for me there.. What started as a simple idea for sticking a tall tin and a string onto a dowel with some electronics has turned into a much more complex and technical beast.

For starters.. I found I had ~2" of dowel left above the tuners and decided I'd carve a squirrel into that part... Never having carved woodland critters out of wood before... 
The carving isn't the worse but I think I'll have to go all 40K minis master-paint on it to really make it shine, the carving is a lil too crude to read on its own. 

I have settled on the features though, so the scope of this project is known.. Just dealing with hurdles along the way, the minor mistakes, accidents, oops, workarounds, etc.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
14 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
15 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
15 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
17 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
20 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
23 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
23 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->