There's been many discussions about the best tools to use when making cigar box guitars, but this video is guaranteed to humble any builder.  Filmed in 2012, the video, Guitar Maker at Dzalaka Refugee Camp, Malawi shows refugees making great, playable guitars out of chunks of discarded wood and the most basic tools available.

Note how the builder makes a radiused fretboard with just a hand planer!  The frets look like they're nothing but electric fence wire.  And yet, they sound great, as evidenced by the soundtrack.

I don't know if the builders are still refugees, butthey do have a facebook page.

Views: 3828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow excellent perfect.

Inspiring, we bitch and moan to ourselves about not having the right gear but these guys do it on a real budget. Respect to them and be cool if we could help them out in some way?

Yeah, I think this cured me of moaning about my working conditions. ;) Amazing really.

That is so cool.  All with just a  hand saw, file and a Jack plane!  Hope he can sell some.

He talked about sponsors. How would one contribute? I find this completely humbling.

Yup I'm looking into that right now with Shane's help....

Amazing. All hand work. I'd buy a CBG from these guys.

Total respect to these guys, they are better Luthiers than I.  I would buy one too and pay double for what he asked for.

Heres true git builder!!! Look those tools... huh.  I raise my hat. 

That was amazing.

shows that the flatness of the neck is irrelevant (i.e. close is good enough) especially as the frets are filed flat.  beat these play nicer than most factory made un-setup guitars 

Does anyone know if they've shipped guitars before? We're so used to things coming from China without a problem because they ship in bulk containers made for voyages, but these guys probably don't have that option. So as far as buying products from them goes, the first question to answer would be is shipping even a possibility.

If the answer is yes and the concern is that CBGs can't make the trip because they are hollow whereas solid bodies are OK, then maybe a solution would be to have them make a three string version of their guitar with a solid body in a rectangular shape that looks like a CBG. That would be a simpler build as well.
I'm sure someone could arrange to get donations through, but it would be cool to have one of their amazing products and that would be incentive to spend.

As far as sending them things go, paint would be one thing that is restricted. Tools is a great idea. I don't know if there are restrictions on those with all the terrorism these days, but the last I heard was it's OK if in the cargo of the plane and not being carried on board. For ships, I have no idea.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->