So, I was messing around with creating surveys through Google Forms and thought it might be fun and informative to make a questionnaire for the CBG community to get an idea of what everyone is doing out there.  Just some basic questions about what you're building, playing, buying and selling, and how you're tuning. 

I wasn't able to embed the form here, so here's the link:

The Great CBG Survey of 2016

There's no login required and no personal information is collected.  You'll be able to see the results of the survey when you're done and I will update this post with results as we go.  I'll also provide the raw data to anyone in spreadsheet form if you're interested in analyzing further.  This could be useful information for builders and sellers or anyone who is curious.

So if you're like me and have wondered if GDG is really the king of all tunings, whether 3 strings are more popular than 4, or what kind of pickups most people use, take a few minutes to fill out the form.  The more responses the better, so share the link and hopefully we can answer some of these burning question!

RESULTS:

UPDATED 1/18/16:  Thanks for the participation everyone!  We received 85 responses in the first week.  I'm going to leave the polls open going forward so go ahead and take the survey if you haven't already.  For those who have taken it, here's a link that should take you to the summary of responses.

CBG Survey Responses

Here's the link to the Google Sheet through 1/18/16: (No login required - you should be able to view and download in whatever format you'd like)

Current Results Spreadsheet

Views: 1277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can view the results after completing the survey.  Since a login isn't required, it appears either Turtlehead will have to post the interim results, share the Google Sheets form where the responses are posted, or you can skew the results by taking the survey repetitively to see the results when you are done.

If login was required (Google Account) and editing responses was turned on, then you could go back into editing your response, not change anything and just see the current responses for the survey.

I guess it is an advantage of being late to the party that I got to see some meaningful results after I answered the questions.  Early responders wouldn't see much that was interesting.

I figured I'd let it run through tonight to give it a full week.  I'll have the results and links to the Sheet up tomorrow.  We got about 20 more responses this weekend. 

I've updated the original post with links to the survey results.  Everyone should be able to view them with no login to Google required.  Let me know if there are any issues.

Interesting info.  Nicely done.  Thanks, Todd!

Great survey, really interesting results. Thanks for all your input. Wayfinder did a good job expressing his deciphering of the results, and my thoughts pretty well concur with him. I was hoping that the survey would show my wife that my obsession with CBG wasn't unique. She wasn't convinced. The seven CBG's under construction out in my shop this very night did not help my case! I remind her that it keeps me off the streets and easy to find. As she slowly shook her head and went in the house, I put down the fretting saw, opened the laptop, and checked Cigar Box Nation. Lord, I love CBG's.

Too funny Grandpa, I never thought about the "See, I'm not crazy!" angle.  I'm sad but not surpirsed it didn't work ;)

Good summary Wayfinder.  I like the question about the 7% of the non players.  That lines up with the people who call themselves builders.  I thought that number would be higher actually, but glad to see so many people calling themselves players.    

I love analyse data, a lot of people are discovering CBG's like me (2 years), but the fretted and electric pickups I don't are expecting.

That surprised me too Marcelo, especially fretted vs. fretless. 

Very interesting numbers. Thanks for doing this. 

It might have been helpful but more complicated to split it into question sets around builders and players. Only one percent play diddley bows? Fascinating. We are a minority. Was surprised that "World" or other ethnic music wasn't listed as a response option as to musical genre played. 

Thank you for putting this together! I just hope that builders don't look at the survey and stop offering diddley bows and chuggers!

I thought there would be more in the diddley/chugger camp too Gordon, and I knew I was forgetting something in the music category! 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray left a comment for J. D. Woods
" If you are interested in building your own pickups, I wrote a blog about how I make my…"
11 minutes ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
37 minutes ago
Niall McCracken is now a member of Cigar Box Nation
3 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
4 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
14 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
16 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
16 hours ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
16 hours ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
17 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->