Thanks to the encouragement of several folks in this forum, I built my first CBG recently. It ended up a bit high strung..that is to say, the strings were too far from the neck. I adjusted the nut as well as the bridge. I restrung it...with the same strings and, you guessed it, SNAP. I knew it could happen. No problem, I had another set. When I ordered my parts from Gitty, I ordered 2 different sets of strings.

So I strung up the second, heavier set of strings. I went easy and tuned them up, but they were VERY loose and sloppy...unplayable. So I tightened them up another octave...it sounded horrible. Each string sounded fine together, and all 3 together were fine, but when I tried fretting one (I fretted the neck in diatonic configuration) blech! 

Grasping at straws I noticed that the recommended tuning on the string package was not the GDG that I was using...so I thought I'd go ahead and tune to the recommended and SNAP once again.

I've re-strung my 6-string guitars numerous times over the years, so I know how to do it. What am I doing wrong with the CBG?

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was this recommended tuning? String gauges? Scale length of build?

Please excuse the copy pasta for my answers:

String Specs:
#1 - .022" Bronze Wound
#2 - .014" Plain Steel
#3 - .010" Plain Steel

set of 3 strings specifically for a 3-string cigar box guitar (CBG) that you want to tune in an "Open G" (GBD) or "standard guitar" (GBE - the three highest-pitch strings of a standard 6-string guitar) tuning.

String Specs:
#1 - .030" Bronze Wound
#2 - .022"
Bronze Wound
#3 - .014" Plain Steel

set of 3 strings specifically for a 3-string cigar box guitar (CBG) that you want to tune in an "Open D" (D-F#-A)" tuning.

The length is 25½ inches.

I bought a cheap set of Martin light acoustic strings and used 3, 4, and 5. I've tuned it to GDg. It was a little nerve-wracking tuning them up after the last 2 snapping on me :)  I played around with it....it is still very much a work in progress. I may end up re-raising the bridge as my pick hits the box behind the strings. Then I need to learn how to play it LOL.

Tuning is all about relativity. Possibly you will find this helpful.

Basically I use standard medium gauge strings A (45) D (35) G (26)

Tune down to GDg.

You can slowly tune up...

EBe...FCf...F#C#f#...GDg

Because the string relationships are the same 151 tones for their respective major scales, all the fingering positions are the same. The CBG just sounds in another key.

I hope this is helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njmikeb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from...  

It's not rocket science guys. Think about a guitar, and the difference between its scale length and that of your build. If you have a regular guitar, hold your build up against it, bridge to bridge. If your nut reaches fret #4 on that guitar.. Well what pitch does each string give you at that fret? If your target pitch is somewhere exactly between two of em then go for the lower one. A guitar string can typically target a pitch two steps higher than its built for, and three below at 25".. (They have substantially less range at a shorter scale)...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
2 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
2 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
2 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
6 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
7 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
7 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
8 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Often quite true Uncle John :) -Glenn"
10 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
11 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
11 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->