I'm sure somewhere on here it's been done to death, how to make a slide, you can even find a ton of you tube video's using everything from string and lighter fluid, a bowl of ice water etc etc, score once blah blah blah.

Here's the easy method, never made one before in my life till just now, here's what I did, literally, it took less than 10 min to make 2 I needed.

First, I put a tea kettle on the stove with water to boil, while waiting, I took 2 plastic cups with large enough diameters for the large 1L bottles of wine to fit into neck first, filled the first one with lots of ice topped with cold water, took a standard hand held glass cutter you can buy anywhere from H-depot to Walmart, scored the neck by laying the bottle on it's side and slowly pressed against the neck turning the bottle, pressed hard enough to hear and see the glass scratch, even went over the area a couple times(they say score once only...bull puckey) made a good circle score around the neck, there's my water boiling, poured it into the other cup, proceeded to dunk the neck into the hot water up to and past the score mark, alternating between the hot and cold leaving it in no more than 30 seconds each, started to think it wasn't going to work, after about the 4th to 5th switch, "POP', perfect slide, did it a second time, took a few more dunks, assuming because the hot water started to cool off.

easy peasy, simple no mess, no combustibles, no cleanup, just lightly sand the breaks on the slide to avoid any sharp edges, I used Gallo Moscatto, a fine vintage for slides lol, hmm, maybe a good Riesling next....

Tried them already on my new 2x canjo builds from yesterday...WOW, never played a slide before, hard to believe a single string canjo got me grinnin like an idiot from ear to ear LOL, ;-)

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

glad to be of some help, about ready to start my 4-5 string banjo build using a 12" tambourine drum base

When sanding the edges clean, I use a bucket of water with a few drops of dish soap and wet/dry sandpaper... I take no risks.

I've done this with beer bottles ( Corona brand ), as well as mexican coke bottles and IBC root beer bottles.. only thing is I score and remove the wiggly tip part first then cut to length.

I need to put some cloth in there with my finger to keep it on, I just have small hands I guess.

Also - I was aiming only for stubby slides ala Shane Speal.

Moleskin works great on the inside of a slide...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Fret dot recommendation

Started by Douglas Eric Marsalis in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Brendan deVallance 2 hours ago. 29 Replies

My first build

Started by Calvin Harris in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Korrigan on Tuesday. 3 Replies

Sting Issues

Started by Roland Wood in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Sunday. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

Just not quite right!?

Posted by David on January 17, 2018 at 10:02am 2 Comments

Festivals

Posted by Chuck Numbers on January 15, 2018 at 9:46pm 1 Comment

My fret slot cutting setup

Posted by Jim Brown on January 5, 2018 at 4:24pm 8 Comments

Latest Activity

Ron Lutz posted a status
"#39,40 poplar boxes handmade, canvas prints of local historic photo and one of my pinhole images which is also on canvas. 21" scale. GDG"
4 minutes ago
Ron Lutz posted a photo
5 minutes ago
Erasmo Coco commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

Tricone Tube Screamer Blues - Backslider Guitars

"I like that Kat ! Thanks Nancy !"
10 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Paul Cezanne's discussion Trouble converting an old radio to an amp
"Lugs 1 & 2 on the back are the on/off power for the radio. Lugs A, B, & C on the bottom are…"
15 minutes ago
StorminSteve liked sparky37's photo
37 minutes ago
StorminSteve liked sparky37's photo
37 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Taffy Evans's discussion Shop/homemade tools and & Jigs
"Item #4375 for $4.86"
41 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Uncle Gus's video
45 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Downtown Vinnie's video
46 minutes ago
Nancy kat liked Janis Wilson Hughes's video
47 minutes ago
Nancy kat commented on Janis Wilson Hughes's video
47 minutes ago
Nancy kat commented on Janis Wilson Hughes's video
Thumbnail

Linger by The Cranberries - CBG Tribute

"Janis this is beautiful your voice is so sweet very Angelic! Watched it three times loved it.. and…"
48 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service