I built a CBG that I was going to send from Oregon to my brother in New York.  I had a box that was a little big but would do, all told it weighed a little over 8 pounds.

I went down to FedEx and it was going to cost $88US to send it.  Yikes!  I checked with UPS and USPS and they were about the same.  USPS did have one option for about $55US.

The box was a bit big, about 48" x 18" x 12".  I figured I can make a smaller box that will just fit it, 36" x 11" x 5", and I can get the USPS price down to about $30US.  That's at least manageable.  UPS and FedEx are still higher.

I was shocked how much it was going to cost, and still a bit put out even if I can get it down to $30.

How are you folks shipping your CBGs?  Any way to do it for less?

Thanks,

Scott

Views: 809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh I like that! A bit messy to build but super light, super secure, and will fit like a glove! And a 4'x8' 1/2" sheet of pink stuff is only $8 locally. Plus, once you build the foam box, it makes a great form for bending the cardboard around it. Building a big box with no form is a bit awkward.

Pretty sure this is how I'll do it. Thanks David!

Ok, to take it one step farther into the ridiculous: build the foam box, put the guitar inside a plastic trash bag too protect it, lay the guitar in the box, use expanding spray foam to fill in the gaps and seal the whole thing in super snug.

I think if you did that you could probably even safely skip the cardboard wrap.  You've basically encased it in a single block of foam. 

Hmmm..... Maybe skip the foam box altogether.  Just build a rectangular form, line with plastic, spray in some foam, lay guitar in, spray in a little more foam on top and wait for it to set.  No messy foam boards to cut, still costs just a few dollars per guitar to pack.

Yeah, I think I'm getting silly now, but I'm still thinking of trying it.

I just chose a random Oregon and New York zip codes, put in the info in the USPS postage calculator, and my last git I sold("The Gambler") which in all reality, was a little heavy for a Git, and with packaging(and I package well) would have cost less than $23 priority mail. My total box size was 4x8x36" and weighed with packaging 5#'s, it arrived safely to a happy buyer.

That was a home made oak box with electrics and a lot of embellishments.

I use an 8 x 8 x 36 box and USPS has never charged more than $25.00 with insurance.

Yep, shipping my last commissioned build from MA back to VA cost 85 bucks. Lucky for me my cx offered to pay for the shipping but dang. That did include them boxing it up too, so maybe not that bad I guess.

I picked up a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" foam today.  Hopefully I can get a box together over the weekend.  I'll weight the guitar by itself and again boxed up to give you the info.

Thanks again for pointing me to that link David.

You are welcome Ducati, always happy to point to the hidden gems experts like Wichita Sam have added over the years :0)
I weighed the guitar, it’s 2 1/2 pounds. I also pieced the box together. Now I just need to do some final duct taping, wrap it in cardboard, and ship it. I expect it will cost about $20. Much smaller box at 38” x 10” x 5.5”.

I never use Duct tape, only clear shipping tape, some post offices frown at other tape for packaging.

Good job on getting the weight and size down, makes a big difference.

Duct tape is just to hold the foam box together. That will be wrapped in cardboard and maybe paper with just clear tape, like you say.
All set! Final packaging was 5# and 39” x 11” x 6”. Should cost about $22 to ship. Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions.
Attachments:

Only thing you need now is my address...;-)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
43 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->