Cigar Box Nation

#1 resource for Cigar Box Guitars, Free Plans, How-To, Parts & More!

Presented by C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply, your one-stop-shop for Cigar Box Guitar parts and accessories!

As you guys know, I have been doing some Saddle testing, "Bone Saddle Experiment" video. There is more than what the video shows, if you look back at some on my pictures. I tested 4 bone saddles, the best tone and quality that I got out of this, turned out to be a scrap piece that I had, 1/8" thick, 5/16" tall and 1 - 7/8" long, that one sounded the best out of all the "nice" looking saddles that I made, hands down.

I started drawing some conclusions, it seemed that the less mass I had in my saddle, the better it sounded. So... I decided that I wanted to duplicate "that" sound in to something that looked nice and pretty. Tonight, in slightly less than 2 hours, I made a saddle, out of hard maple with a very slim piece of bone laminated to the top, where the strings lay, drilled some holes in the maple to lessen the mass, carved it out and found that it is possible to make a saddle, that sounds as good as the best completely bone saddle that I had made to this point! I might do another video to show the results.

These pictures show the best bone saddle that I made and the maple / bone saddle that I duplicated the sound with, notice that none of the holes are directly under a string, they are spaced a quarter of an inch apart. This is what I was trying to accomplish with this experiment, something that looked nice and also gave a GREAT tone.

Tell me what you think, any ideas are certainly welcome! If you have some ideas here, that I have not thought of, I would definately put them to the test, because I love doing this kind of stuff.

Views: 207

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you worked hard on this didnt you? very good job obtaining some very useful information!!!             i do hope you wore breathing protection

James, I work with asbestos all the time, certified,  and this is what I can tell you about the "bone" thing... at my age, I will be dead before any symtoms even begin! I'm realy not too worried about that stuff.

No, that's not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that will take about 20 - 30 years, on the average, before the symtems will start... that is an average, mind you, not a figure. These are based on someone working with it daily, I take ALL the precautions when working with asbestos, because I work with it all the time, the very limited time that I work with bone is all done in a controled atmospher, without power tools, that create dust. That's all I'm saying, dust is the key word here.

James, you did not piss me off at all, like I said, I do this stuff all the time... was just stating a fact, if you know what the hazards are of the material that you are working with,  and you know the hazards of the material involved, then you work with it accordingly and knowingly. I'm not promoting doing this without thought, but the hazards are very low. That's all I'm saying.

Oops. This is why I should probably be a bit more cautious! I deliberately took you out of context, most likely due to chronic sleep deprivation. But I meant it when I thought it looked GOOD!!!

Kev,

Obviously, you could sell these...umm, kin ya make me a couple? I'll pay ya for 'em.

Sure Oily, Just pm me with the specs that will work for your git, these are just slightly less than 5/16" in overal height

RSS

Sponsors

Recommended Links & Resources

© 2014   Created by C. B. Gitty (Ben).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service