So I am picking up one of Gitty's 2.5 watt amp kits and plan to wire in the gain control, as per the video advice that they provide. But I am wondering if the Psycho Knob kits they offer would have anything else to add to the mix - or if I will be getting the same control by wiring in the gain control? And to add even more confusion.....what about adding a tone control with a small capacitor? AND just for fun, how difficult would it be to add a headphone jack to bypass the speaker? (Yes, I seem to be trying to jam a whole pedal board system into this little amp) You all are so free with advice and suggestions, any help would be appreciated.

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no idea on the psycho knob but if you want to use headphones you will need a series resistor to limit the current flowing into them. full amp power would just destroy them. as to what size resistor to use depends on the resistance of you headphones and their power handling capacity. 

need a bit of time and a notepad to work out a suitable starting resistance... if i can...lol 

You can add the psycho knob and get 3 different effects with the board  Also if you look at GuitFuel boards they have a board that has the 3 installed and a headphone jack as well  Hope that helps 

The gain knob will get you a little bit of distortion.  The Psycho knob will give you more than you can handle...

IMHO, the psycho knob would eliminate the need for the gain, as you can use it in Bypass, Gain, Blues Crunch, Rock and Metal modes...

The downside to the psycho knob is a 2nd 9v battery (no big deal) and slightly more complicated wiring. (again, no big deal)

A Gain knob adds some distortion to the amp and can be very versatile when adjusting your amp's controls. I would add the gain knob.

A simple tone circuit can be run off the volume pot. Run a wire off the volume pot's center lug to the #1 lug of a B100k tone pot, jump lugs 2 & 3 and attach a 100n/.1uf cap between lug 3 and ground. These type circuits work best with quality pots, the cheap ones tend to limit the effect too much.

A Psycho Knob should be treated more as a effect pedal. You could run your guitars signal through the psycho knob first and then to the amp like the usual effect pedal.

Another consideration, instead of adding a tone circuit to the amp, use a acoustic guitar preamp with EQ as a effect pedal. This will give you a boost effect and the EQ will be more effective at adjusting the tone.

Thanks for the advice, gents. After some serious cogitation I'm gonna try to stuff an EQ pre-amp to dial in the natural sound of my git, the Psycho Nob and the little 2.5 watt amp into one box. My plan, to simplify the wiring and save the batteries, is to wire all three separately and use short jumper cables between each. That way the units won't be 'on' unless I plug into them and I can patch out before the amp into a small headphone amp on occasion( to avoid scaring the cats). I guess I'm making up for dreams of playing through stacked Marshalls. I really appreciate the free flow of ideas on this site. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Fret dot recommendation

Started by Douglas Eric Marsalis in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Brendan deVallance 4 hours ago. 29 Replies

My first build

Started by Calvin Harris in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Korrigan on Tuesday. 3 Replies

Sting Issues

Started by Roland Wood in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Sunday. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

Tinbox stickdulcimer

Posted by Kim Österberg on January 18, 2018 at 3:25pm 0 Comments

Just not quite right!?

Posted by David on January 17, 2018 at 10:02am 2 Comments

Festivals

Posted by Chuck Numbers on January 15, 2018 at 9:46pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

shane wagstaff left a comment for Joe Caruso
"Hi Joe . The control panel of a Provost Jet Located at RAF Cosford "
32 minutes ago
shane wagstaff and Joe Caruso are now friends
33 minutes ago
rob muller replied to rob muller's discussion "Psycho Knob" vs. gain knob
"Thanks for the advice, gents. After some serious cogitation I'm gonna try to stuff an EQ…"
42 minutes ago
Kim Österberg posted a blog post

Tinbox stickdulcimer

I have just finished my latest build. There is still some work to do, like lowering the action etc,…See More
57 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Ron Lutz's photo
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Ron Lutz's photo
Thumbnail

3 guitars image transfer

"UJ speaks the truth really nice work ."
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Paul Craig replied to rob muller's discussion "Psycho Knob" vs. gain knob
"A Gain knob adds some distortion to the amp and can be very versatile when adjusting your…"
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Ron Lutz's photo
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

Bonesy Playing The Blues In G (Original Song)

"Thank you Nancy Kat I love my black sleek dancing  feline ..... Meow back to you .... "
1 hour ago
Ron Lutz posted a status
"#39,40 poplar boxes handmade, canvas prints of local historic photo and one of my pinhole images which is also on canvas. 21" scale. GDG"
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service