I'm lookin on buildin my first with a punch box. The type of sound I want out of it is raunchy blues style. I'm trying to figure out the best type of Pick Up with pre-amp tone knobs. Any idea?
Much apriciated.

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

im still experimenting with piezo's but so far ive found that if you want to use a very big amp or anything with distortion of any sort i go with a more conventional electric type pickup. (i.e. humbucker or single coil fender) just a suggestion. ask Ted he's the expert.
A piezo will do raunchy blues, but Otis is right, they can be screwy about things like gain. The more gain you pile on, the more you risk horrible feedback. Some of this can be finesse-d with the type of box you use and how you place the piezo, but the potential is still there. If you're gonna play in a high-gain environment, you might want to go magnetic.

That being said, I've built exclusively with piezos, so far, though I've got this "plan" to wind my own magnetic pickup sometime soon. I play loud and smile through the feedback.

Enjoy!
I'm a long time blues player and I make pickups for CBGs too. My suggestion would be to go with a magnetic pickup and a tube amp that you can overdrive. The piezos, when overdriven, have a harsh clipping that's really unpleasant, at least to my ears. This is due to impedance mismatch with the amp. If you install a piezo, it's best if you add some kind of damping material to reduce feedback and tame the high frequencies and/or run it through an EQ pedal or impedance matching buffer circuit. In general, they're best for a more acoustic sound.

Skeesix
--
http://skeesixcbgs.com/
Making your cigar box guitar rock!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Hubcap build help.

Started by David Bowes in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 18 hours ago. 9 Replies

One Hand Dan's Triple-Neck Cigar Box Guitar

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles yesterday. 0 Replies

A Simple Instrument

Started by Erasmo Coco in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by the anonymous pick yesterday. 5 Replies

B

Started by David Bowes in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by David Bowes yesterday. 4 Replies

Fretting with nails

Started by pavlovamericanroadtrip in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Wayfinder on Sunday. 174 Replies

Latest Activity

James O Lunsford commented on Maddog's photo
Thumbnail

La Aroma de Cuba 2 String Tin Can Reso "Chugger"

"Looks Great Love that Red yard stick Nice Build"
11 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Maddog's photo
12 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on James O Lunsford's video
Thumbnail

Once in a lifetime

"Thanks for all the comments and views Everyone Ya'll The Best"
22 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Jim_in_Tucson's photo
24 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on ron f.bright's video
Thumbnail

MOJO LOCO!!!

"Got ta Rock out sometime sounding good Man Mojo cooking"
24 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked ron f.bright's video
25 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on Mr.C's video
Thumbnail

Just a sound test or boredom

"Sounds good Don't be bored play More Man works for Me"
26 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Mr.C's video
28 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on Daniel Hulbert's video
Thumbnail

Deluxe Travel Ukulele

"Nice Build sounds god"
29 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Daniel Hulbert's video
29 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Jim_in_Tucson's photo
Thumbnail

Beautiful carved Tenor Ukelele and hard case from Tucson recycle artist, J Quantrell

"This is SO reminiscent of my own builds, other than all the intricate carvings, beautiful colors,…"
29 minutes ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Gilles C. Caron's photo
Thumbnail

First build 1

"Nice collection!  Welcome!"
31 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service