There are, I'm guessing, thousands of you out there. You're clearly not all from south of the Mason/Dixon- this spirited venture would appear to encompass the whole of N America and Europe. So- we can't all be playing 12-bars in G, or mournful dustbowl slide (I am SO jealous of Beetlejuice!)- what are YOU playing?

I'm really new to this game- after nearly forty years not quite getting six-strings, I've had a pretty productive forty days, and have posted three items of varying UK takes on proper rhythm'n'blues (NOT R&B). And I've had some positive feedback- it's different, apparently. But from what? Is most everything else just 'blues in G'?

To quote Marvin Gaye- what's going on?

Views: 804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funnily enough, I had an idea just this evening for CBG playing over a chill-out type synth loop. If you say there's no wrong way, then prepare for a new video in a week or so...

There must be limits though, surely? Discuss...

I'll look forward to any of your videos! I honestly don't think there are limits except in the ability and the imagination of each person playing. I thought I'd reached an impasse when, in a jazz tune, a chord named F#m7flat5  was called for. There's no good way to play this on 3 strings so I struggled to figure out the notes in this chord and then arpeggiated, or broke the chord up, into a run that sounded good to my ears. I'll confess that I've had some training in theory (thanks mom!)  but this is the sort of thing that convinces me that the boundaries still require much more exploration!

but that's just a contorted name for F#dim7, lol

Dang it you got me thinking, if you skip the 3b you can use this finger pattern for a dim7 chord...

Hmm- maybe the 3b is sorta necessary, cos it sounds a little out there for me. But then I don't play jazz, and I have very little theory (I know a few scales). I tend to find CBG chords by accident/ make them up as I go along (delete where applicable)- some of the 'legal' ones are a big stretch, even with a 24.5" scale.

While on the subject though, I could use an alternative IV chord for the 12-bar in G- any ideas?
Kind of you to say so Jim, but (and see my response to JL) it's all made up on the hoof with little or no theory, or planning even. Longer fingers would be handy...

Anyway, the weekend stretches ahead, and I've promised I'd build something. The tailpieces arrived this afternoon so I no longer have any excuse!

Check out the Resources>Free Music and Albums tab up top and you can find a good selection of things from Blues to Beatles to Motorhead.

I'm of the belief that anything and everything can and should be played on homemade instruments.

Good tip- thanks. Perhaps three-string tabs will be easier to read than six-string... Not sure that everything can be played on homemade instruments, but your're perfectly correct in saying ANYTHING can be!

Death Metal on a one string shovel git - anything is possible

https://youtu.be/IyQOw-_H4yE

Well, that's something to aim for. Gonna have to build me a one-stringer sometime soon. I got the timber; what gauge of string would anyone recommend?
Some oak would make a good neck either a G or A string there's no rules to be held down to .
Yeah- just found me some nice oak. I'm in the UK, so we've got no wood (only half-joking), but I have found bench slats(!) in oak, 1220mm x 35mm x 20mm, shaped at the back just like a real neck! 35mm is wide enough for three strings, but 20mm may be pushing it a bit for strength (which is why I bought oak rather than sapele or iroko). Starting a three-string fretless this weekend, but might do a one-string too- it might be better for that cross-section.

I'll post pics- whether they work or not!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. left a comment for Jim Weaver
3 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Crazed Fandango
"I see you’ve been gone awhile, we picked up a glitch in that time, here’s what to do?"
3 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Bill Andy
3 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Sam Beavers
3 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Angel 2x Anti-Body #17

"Ooo… tre sexy"
3 hours ago
Profile IconBill Andy, Bill Andy, Sam Beavers and 1 more joined Cigar Box Nation
4 hours ago
Cigar Box Nation commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Jose Cuervo | Shelly West cover on 4-string CBG

"Got your message about more glitches on this site. I've been talking to Ben about making the…"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 199th Zoom Mtg 04/22/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
6 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked David Hopkins's photo
12 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked David Hopkins's photo
12 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
13 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked Paul Atkinson's discussion Journal Article on the Cigar Box Guitar scene in the UK
13 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->