Hi all, here are some photos of my latest build.

The back and sides are silky oak (not really an oak) reclaimed from 100 year old waldrobe door. The top and neck are New Guinee Rosewood. All 1/4 sawn. fingerboard is Ebony and the frets are gold evo frets.

It has a resonator piezo on the cone and a microphone inside, mixed at the pre amp.

Thanks for looking. Taff

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's gorgeous Taff.

This is stunningly beautiful!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hanns, the two or four dots that are in the fingerboard tongue over the body normally covers the screws or bolts that secure the fingerboard to the top. Resonator necks or normally bolted onto the body.

Obviously the other two pearl dots on my guitar are traditional twelfth fret markers. 

I do not think that the Epiphone has four bolts holding down their fingerboard.

cheers Taff

Oooops, 12th fret is marked with 3 pearl dots, but you's would have noticed that.

Taff

Ah, a very pragmatic reason - I was speculating about all kinds of wild tunings that would make the 15th and 19th fret especially important...

Hi, I came across a question from Richard Dean elsware on this site asking how would this guitar sound as an acoustic?

I would say bottom line is that it would not sound as good, actually no where near as good, as the full acoustics I build using this '000' style of body. For a number of reasons.

For one thing the guitar top and it's bracing would not be as responsive, the heavier components used would not lend themselves to the type of tone exspected in a good acoustic guitar. 

The main contributing factors are top design and side depth. But I love the "000" style guitar when built as a full acoustic. I used the "000" style on this guitar as an experiment. It worked well, according to the look on the customers face.

Thanks for your interest Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

VIDEO: Cigar Box Harp by Don Peddle

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by david tranter 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

VIDEOS: How to Make Copper Wire Frets on a Cigar Box Guitar

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Gerrit Klaassen 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

Gitty Gang Episode #40 - Building with Bigger Boxes

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles 16 hours ago. 0 Replies

Viol Build Pics

Started by Greg Turner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Greg Turner on Friday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

StorminSteve liked StorminSteve's video
9 minutes ago
Richard Dean replied to Paul Craig's discussion What's on your workbench?
"Also Lonman, these had painted on soundhole designs, and even the fret markers were either painted…"
14 minutes ago
Blind Lemon Cello liked Maddog's photo
15 minutes ago
"Awesome, post pics of it when you can, even steps along the way, I'm removing the ladder…"
25 minutes ago
StorminSteve liked Maddog's photo
27 minutes ago
27 minutes ago
28 minutes ago
28 minutes ago
Donkey commented on BeetleJuice!'s blog post Cigar box guitars strike a chord at Portsmouth Middle School
"This is awesome. Kids involved in any sort of hands-on, project-based learning is good. Perhaps if…"
30 minutes ago
"even older instruments the fretboards were mostly rosewood or maple, black ones were just stained…"
40 minutes ago
JB liked Paul Slocum's photo
48 minutes ago
gary herget commented on BeetleJuice!'s blog post Cigar box guitars strike a chord at Portsmouth Middle School
"This is cool, need more people willing to do this so our craft doesn't fade away."
48 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service