My grandfather built dulcimers, fiddles, and mandolins I have these instruments of his from when he passed. I have been building my own traditional bows and playing guitar for about 25 years. So I had the desire to build an acoustic guitar then I found these CBG's and fell in love with their sound so I got all the materials together to build one. I have a ton of exotic wood from building bows so I am now in the process of building some CBG's and a dulcimer or two. I just thought I would share his love of the art.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry some of these survived a house fire so they were damaged a little in the fire

Beautiful instruments, your grandfather did a good job. The case is really nice too.

Thank you he was very talented and patient lol

That's not fire damage; that's character and history! Just means the instruments will play with a smokey tone ;-). Lovely boxes, and that case is to die for. Your grandfather was very skilled. Great that you're continuing the family tradition. Of course, your name IS Harper! Thanks for sharing this.

I agree about the character but when he passed a few years ago I would have loved to been able to show you all how great they really were. He was an artist

My grandpa left me an instrument.

It fired .50 caliber lead slugs...

Ha ha I have those too..

Hello Lester!  My father was my inspiration as well.  He was a true craftsman, though he did not make musical instruments.  Your dad's creations are beautiful.  Treasure them.

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Tuning trouble

Started by Douglas Botkin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Anthony Waszkiewicz 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

How to Build an Electric Kazoo in Three Minutes

Started by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker in Feature Articles. Last reply by Wayne Avery 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

Fun with a 2x4 Bass - Build Your Own

Started by Shane ( in Feature Articles. Last reply by Rooster 6 hours ago. 1 Reply

How to Build a Rebak Fiddle

Started by Shane ( in Feature Articles 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

Dutch Cigar Box Festival 2016

Started by Gordon McCranor (ElGordeaux) in Fests and Concerts: Organizing and Promoting. Last reply by CaptnCatfish 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

Build a 2-String Cigar Box Guitar

Started by Shane ( in Feature Articles 16 hours ago. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Carl Ashton posted songs
8 minutes ago
Muddy Creek Guitars liked Pat's photo
17 minutes ago
Muddy Creek Guitars liked Lapsteel washboard's photo
22 minutes ago
Anthony Waszkiewicz replied to Crow's discussion EASY TO BUILD CIGAR BOX GUITAR: AN UNCLE CROW STYLE CBG IN ONE HOUR!!
"In your measurement scale, you indicate 59cm scale...which is equal to 590mm. The first fret at…"
33 minutes ago
Anthony Waszkiewicz liked Slowpaw Steve T's discussion 2015 Cigar Box Nation Christmas Album Submissions Page
52 minutes ago
Anthony Waszkiewicz replied to Calvin Wallace's discussion Talk about making a build your own.
"Very nice build..make sure it is registered before you take it on the road."
1 hour ago
Anthony Waszkiewicz replied to Douglas Botkin's discussion Tuning trouble
"How much string "surface contact" do you have on the bridge and the nut.?  Friend of…"
1 hour ago
Eric liked onesixtwocbgs's photo
1 hour ago
Eric liked Wade's photo
2 hours ago
gary herget commented on Mr.C's video

Linus and luice

"Nice one "C", didn't see ya trippin' over nothin'."
2 hours ago
Blues Frog replied to Bob Pugh's discussion What to do to make a cbg look girly.
"I just finished making one for my Granddaughter. I made the neck Pi nk. The inside of the box pink.…"
2 hours ago
Robert DiPietro liked the anonymous pick's video
3 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service