I know these are home built instruments, and nobody worried about being perfect or if there even was any kind of standard when someone made their own 1,2 or however many string instrument, it was about the culture and music, but how many of you, have made a mistake in your build, couldn't let it go, had to dis assemble, repair or start over due to modern reasoning, not being able to stand a mistake in the build, whether it was physical or aesthetically? and would you sell one with mistakes, or have we all become Taylor, Martin, Dean wanna bees?

What's your faux pas, and what did you do, fix it, leave it, sell it as is? or.....

I'll go first, (need to lay on a couch like a patient) My second build, fret markers 15 thru 21, are now 14 thru 20...arghhhhhh, never done that before. Have 20 slots cut, and only 19 frets to use.....I'm reconditioning and reusing old ones, and didn't count right. It's killing me mentally, I don't know if it's modern consumerism mentality, whether it's a Taylor or Walmart Starcaster for $99, we want it perfect, so how does one recondition our thinking? I'm leaving my mistakes for now, trying to decide the ole "I'll keep this one" but that will irritate me just as much, set it on fire, fix it, I don't know.....is my hour up yet???!

fortunately the top design even if accidentally hides the fret markers on the fret board top mostly

What makes me mad about the carelessness, is this is one of my nicer oak neck jobs with a natural clear finish to show off the wood, but alas....what to do.

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first 6-string solid body guitar build. It has a Hardtail Strat type bridge, strings go through the body to the backside with brass inserts.

After I got it together, I noticed that the bridge placement was off by 1". Had to take the strings off, move the bridge to it's rightful place, drill the holes for the strings and inserts and put it all back together. Covered the mistakes with a pickguard on the top and a Strat tremolo cavity cover on the back.

It was a DOH! moment.

Fret markers - grrrr.  Here's a photo.  Notice the brass inlays either side of the 12th.  One of them hides the fact that I put the fret dots at the 11th, the other is for symmetry.  We've probably all done something similar many times.  The worst thing is just wanting to turn the clock back 5 minutes and concentrate !

Good coverup.

I love this one, could see me doing that too.  My latest was drilling the sound hole on the wrong end of the box, which led to cutting the slots for the neck backwards - no saying "I meant to do that" on that one.  I just picked a different box and put the other one aside for a future lefty maybe.

Yesterday I was measuring to put a strap button on, one of the last things I do.I was interrupted for just 45 seconds sat back down measured it drilled the hole in the wrong end under the neck. HA

So hard to to look at an error. I made that pretty little three string and instead of grabbing a 22 inch fret board I grabbed a 24. I had a whole stack of fret boards because I was practicing measuring and cutting them. I wanted to know how to figure out the placement without a computer. Well I didn't figure it out until I went to string it. So disappointing.
I was using a tin lunchbox to make a uke which because of the art on it is unintentionally left handed.

On one of my builds, I put the double dot at the 13th fret. Not exactly proud of it, but hey :)

Yipes!

How many of these have I done?  On one of my early builds, I put the marker dots at the 3,5,7,10 and 12 frets (instead of the 'harmonic' points at 3,5,7,9 and 12). Didn't realize my mistake until I was showing the instrument at a shop where I hoped to sell it.

The shop owner, no less, pointed it out!

I told him that playing your slide against the markers as I laid them out gave you a 'bluesy' sound up and down the scale. (I usually don't think that fast but I really wanted the showcase.) After trying it a few times, he shrugged and conceded the point.

Now I'm locked into building ALL my instruments that way. 

I thought fret 10 was often marked on Banjos? I marked 10 not 9 on my build..

I've always heard that a "master" is one who is best at covering up their mistakes!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

2017 "Kick The Can" Build-Off contest - Canjos, Tin Can Guitars

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Andries D. EKER 13 hours ago. 56 Replies

Tools Question

Started by Shawn Doyle in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by ChickenboneJohn 13 hours ago. 12 Replies

Advice

Started by Sean Albany in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Erasmo Coco 20 hours ago. 8 Replies

Custom box

Started by Shawn Doyle in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Clark Rowden yesterday. 4 Replies

Shipping a CBG

Started by Ducati Scotty in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Richard Dean on Sunday. 24 Replies

Latest Activity

the anonymous pick commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

Bonesy noodling on a tinjo

"tha  tin bone's connected to tha  .... jam bone  ."
32 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

"Very nice tones with volume come resonating out of your tinjo Bones! No fumble to my ears, sounds…"
57 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

New "improved" headstock

"looks raw as mate great result by the looks ."
58 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Dave Lynas's photo
59 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Improved reso Ukulelle

"thats one sweet rig there amoungst all the other ones there."
59 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Dave Lynas's photo
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

"Thanks Dave thats my Tinjo entry just waiting to hear back from Shane as per our last message ,oh…"
1 hour ago
Taffy Evans replied to Taffy Evans's discussion Making my biscuit tin CBG sound better
"Hi JP, thanks for nice comment. What you point out is true of all guitars and Stringed…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on CaptnCatfish's video
Thumbnail

Mississippi Blues Bunch-The first Wine and Beerboxguitar session

"Wonderful big box sounds! Thanks for the fun!"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

"Fabulous Bones! Sounds like a resonator for sure. Nice play ol bean."
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Scott Schoepf's photo