I posted a question about mounting a magnetic pickup inside the cigar box without cutting a hole through the lid. As I saw it, this setup offered a number of advantages, one being the box top didn't get chopped up.

Well, I couldn't let it go so where is my update.

I made mounts for both a single wound and mini humbucker. This set the pickups on springs so it could slide up and down.

The pickup mount is then attached to the neck assembly with a single screw.

Since there is no hole in the box lid, the single screw allows the pickup to be easily moved up and down the neck or angled to enhance certain strings.

With the cigar box lid installed the pickup presses directly against the box top under spring pressure.

So, how does it work? While the guitar is not completed, I couldn't resist stringing it up with a couple of strings and attaching it to my amp via some jumpers. I fired up the amp and turned the volume to the same position I always use. Then the moment of truth.

I picked a few notes and was rewarded with a familiar tone from my amp. I haven't recorded any tracks on Audacity to compare, but just listening, I think the volume is every bit as strong as my regular player. I guess a magnetic field just isn't impressed by a little cigar box top.

This is really encouraging. I can have the warm sound of a magnetic pickup without having to cut up the box top. I can also drive my self crazy trying different locations and angles of the pickup. Should keep me busy and confused for months. I'll pass along any interesting findings as I get her finished and playing.

Views: 1321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

*you've actually worked it out entirely :)

"...I figure that they become, electrically speaking, an extension of the pickup poles. When the strings are plucked, they disturb the field of new magnets just as they do the pickup poles. Since they are closer to the springs the effect is stronger. Functionally, I think it's like moving the pickup closer to the strings..."

bingo!  the 'field of the new magnets' has become one with the field of the magnet that is glued on the bottom of the pickup, just as the pole pieces (which are just steel rods) did when it was manufactured. 

btw that was me who dropped that nugget on you. here .

Now id be remiss not to advise you..  These (like any magnetic pickup which is not like a steel guitar 'horseshoe') will affect your box' sustain, and you might have tried smaller ones. (pretty cheap & easy to swap em over tho eh)  Sustain is often sorely lacking in cigar box guitars - this is not necessarily a bad thing, a banjo 'plinky-plink' can be very pleasing - but its worth knowing, especially on a slide-only guitar.  every blessed thing is a trade-off in this game

Ps I really like this guitar, there's a number of little details about it that are outstanding.

Thanks Kid.

I do remember you pointing out the magnet trick. I may run down and pick up the smaller size magnets and give them a try. They are, as you say, cheap.

I'm quickly finding that every adjustment on a CBG is in fact a compromise of two things you may want. Makes getting the perfect set up a challenge.

Thanks for the help and guidance on this project.

T

if you want to try something really radical next time get a cheap stratty number, punch out the pole pieces, turn it on its side so that the strings pass through those pole piece holes (you can mortise em into one slot with a dremel/chisel if you like) and put a pair of horseshoes around the lot ;)

If you can't find a suitable size horseshoe magnet you can build a 'box around it, stack a couple those neo discs like you have there, break it into two stacks and turn one over.  Put one at the bass end and one at the treb (snip the mounting ears off the pickup base) and put a scrap of steel top and bottom.  Viola! a killer lap steel pup..

(yes i have done this too, works great.  You just need height adjustment on the sides to tune it up to your string action)

Nice looking build Tom! Having the ability to move the pickup around to get the tone you want is a real benefit. Just as a side thought, Have a leaver with notches. Secure the pickup between two sets of springs. You now have a stick shift tone control! The springs would hold the pickup in place as you choose what gear you want to play in. : )

I have a few high output distortion pickups from years past. This would be the best way to tame them monsters. 

The idea of rapid easy movement is high on my list. I've not got the pickup held in place by the springs between it and the sub-mount. No screws needed to attach to the neck. Now adding some kind of lever to make it movable is a real possibility. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm...

This is sooo interesting.  Always hate cutting through a pretty top and also getting the danged hole just exactly right!  Def trying this on future builds.  "Old Goat" aka Alan Dillard

There are some "hot" humbuckers (15K ohms) on ebay. They are in a single coil size and would work well for this. You may have to thin the box in the inside (just a bit) and keep the strings fairly close to the box top, but it definitely is a workable solution.

Now that's a cool way keeping my eyes on this .

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
4 minutes ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
4 minutes ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
6 minutes ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
1 hour ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
4 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
8 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
9 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Dar Stellabotta's video
9 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Off the Bench !

Top neck - 23" 018p,028,038 / Bottom neck - 28" 018p,030,044,056.
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->