I bought a reso from a guy in Alabama. He did a real nice job, but I am having some issues now that I've gotten into playing it...

I'm tuned to DGB...

• I've noticed on my B string that when I go above the 7th fret my notes go really sharp...to the point where it sounds like I'm hitting out of tune notes. Aggravating, as my high string carries my melody.

• On my D string, 5th fret almost sounds muted, but the notes around it sound okay. I can't figure this out?

• The G string is vibrating like crazy. I fingerpick, so I can play kinda hard at times to keep the volume going. Anyway, the G string is vibrating and I found out what's causing it lastnight (see photo below). Where it goes over the saddle on the biscuit, the string is actually hitting the screw on the biscuit because the groove on the saddle is cut so low...so it's causing this horrible vibration now because it's just touching it barely, but enough to cause a noise. I don't know how to fix it. I don't want to mess anything up.

I'd like to find an experienced builder who can help me solve these issues or at least let me know what's going on. I have no experience building these things and don't want to hurt my git. It sure would be great to find a builder in my neck of the woods. Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah, I would have used the one you sent, domino is an issue being it has too much contact surface.

I think he did this because I told him I don't play slide at all. I'm strictly a fingerpicker, so I asked him to make sure the action was slightly lower since I know on standard CBG's they keep it raised a bit for slide playing. Anyway, he kept the part.

I'll make ya replacement biscuit, but you may have to file the top of your cone a little depending on damage done to it drilling holes it, can't believe he did that.

Just means getting your hands dirty a little working on it, experience will do you good, don't get buyers remorse, chalk it up to learning.

More pics of the bridge closeup. You can see the string hitting that screw head:

Here's tons of pics on string grooves in a saddle of all kinds, you'll never find anything like what you've got

click here --> images

I asked him why the deep cut grooves and the fact that my strings descend in height. He said that was normal on stringed instruments.

Here's the deal though. He claimed the buzz was there before that 4th screw was put in. He said there are three screws under the domino, as he put them in to get the buzz out, so maybe he assumed the buzz was coming from the cone/cover (metal to metal contact). I just emailed CB Gitty. They said if the cone/cover is creating the buzz that it can be extremely difficult to pinpoint the source of the buzz. I told him they should start making rubber ring gaskets to go between the metal cover and cone (and body too). He said it was a great idea might might affect the tone.

Wow.

Facepalm.

In fact...

There's ton of awesome builders on here, but I'm going to suggest you contact Pick and/or Taff for second and third opinions, before opt to listen to someone whom claimed he had buzz issues and sent it to you anyway. not offense to other builders, just tossing 2 random experience builders on here that have more than their share of builds under their belt. I may not have a lot of CBG's under my belt, but plenty of resto's, and I've setup plenty.

To make this extremely easy, with little down time, order another biscuit/stud(nut) from CBGitty, remove the one you have, if screw holes have rough edges on cone, lightly sand till gone, test fit the replacement, if high, place on sandpaper, slide back-n-forth till achieved height, and I bet all you problems will magically disappear unless he had issues with cone installation.

Arrrgh! I am like a drunken Jerry Lewis with tools in my hands. I'm not touching this thing. I can guarantee I'll mess it up.

I'm worried it could be the cone. Also, the body is sealed shut.

before blaming the cone, and it might have some effect, not sure, we're only talking a Philips screwdriver and some sandpaper

Come on folks...there's gotta be someone out there who can get this thing in working shape for me. This is sad. And I was just getting into this...took my fingers awhile to get use to the tighter/thinner strings compared to my GDG CBG.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
3 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
3 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
5 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
7 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
7 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
10 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
13 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->