Ok so im 3 strings and im gdg. Scale length 25.5". I'm using lite strings at the moment and I'm happy with the tension and sustain on the 2nd & 3rd, but the first string, tuned correctly, seems much looser and has got that buzz. I'm thinking a heavier gauge might fix the problem. Have I got this all wrong? I'd just like a bit more tension on the first string.

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too. I found a steel acoustic set and put the .014 on. Much better.

Please Forgive the soapbox moment that follows:

to clarify that light/medium/heavy is the TENSION that the package is put together for intended use.

A light tension #6 E string is about the same gauge as a medium tension #5 A string just tuned up a 4th higher.  My go-to reference is the D-Addario string tension guide, showing every gauge and its tension across a full octave of notes you can tune it to.

http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page

I shall reference that reference. Thanks LJ.

If I'd only had that reference before many years of trial and error!

I had the same problem with my 2x4 guitar, same scale length.  I started with the 3/4/5 strings as usual (in this case an acoustic set 25/32/42) and couldn't get the low string to come into tune, it was super tight and still a note low.  I switched it out for the 2nd string which was a 16 and it worked great, tension feels ok, I like the sound but there is some twang to it.  Funny thing is I had a couple of these sets and the other ones worked fine with no issues or maybe not enough to notice.

Chordgen.rattree.co.uk
String tension calculators that I recently wiled away an hour on. I build 25" scale gits, GDg, .042/.032/.022.I've tried different high g strings...010, .013, etc., but I like the heavier wound .022. Anyway, I was muckin' around with tensions, seein' what might balance better than my chosen gauges. The science is pretty straight forward, but I found that even though my tensions were not as close to balanced as one could achieve, the tone and sound are good. It looks like .046/.030/.023 would be better balanced. So science will balance with art when building and playin'. And as we all discover when buildin' gits, there are so many "art" variables..box size, neck wood, electric strings vs. acoustic strings...that a balance of art and science is somewhat random in outcome. Some of my gits sound awesome, others less so. So, I will try some slight variations when stringin' up a couple of gits, but gettin' close is probably gonna be close enough. So light vs. medium vs. heavy will be in the ear of the beholder. Thankfully, strings are a cheap commodity, so experimentation is a low cost excursion into finding your sound. My .02.

I think you're right. And like you say, strings are relatively cheap so experimentation is a must. Cheers

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Back on nights!

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 2 hours ago. 4 Replies

Gigging with a small amp

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by ChickenboneJohn 18 hours ago. 11 Replies

Speakers

Started by Dropout in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter 21 hours ago. 10 Replies

Diddley bow music?

Started by Snuffy Smith in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans Jun 21. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

introducing cbg to guitarists

Posted by Donald Rees on June 21, 2017 at 10:27pm 12 Comments

Tricone Resonator CBG

Posted by Hal Robertson on June 21, 2017 at 3:30pm 4 Comments

Backslider Washboards

Posted by Milt Haselmire on June 19, 2017 at 6:30pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Jeff Reilly liked Lamme's photo
17 minutes ago
Jeff Reilly liked Lamme's photo
19 minutes ago
Mr.C posted photos
1 hour ago
Lamme posted a photo

Headless diddley bow

My new headless didley bow.
1 hour ago
Andries D. EKER left a comment for Keith Rearick
"Hi there Keith thanks for looking in the last fjew times Apprriciated !"
1 hour ago
Andries D. EKER posted photos
1 hour ago
Chick Who Tinkers left a comment for Erasmo Coco
"Thanks for adding. I really like your sound :-)"
2 hours ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Andries D. EKER's video
2 hours ago
Andries D. EKER posted a video

Missisippi B Dylan - A D Eker 2017

I like these lyrics, its like a suit that suits me well, its a coat that gives me a warm and well known feeling , zimmerman the genius lyre sist from the USA...
2 hours ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

Green Peas on a Pink Plate A D Eker 2017

"Thanks Guy's Glad that some of you took a lissen, think the title reminded, a bit to much…"
2 hours ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Double Rainbow - an original song

"Still raining still dreaming! Mighty fine Derek! Great vocal! lines as well ! verry suttle strat!…"
2 hours ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans's video
Thumbnail

CBG Blackbird Version

"It Stands Up just Fine Gary, i must say that the level of video players is on the up and up ,but i…"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service