Well now I'm going to start with my first CBG.

Just purchased the wood for my neck. It's red oak and have it made square and straight and its now 44 by 19 mm and 120 cm long. (sorry for metric sizes).

Also on the flea market bought an old mahjong box being 456 x 284 x 61 mm. So volume is big. Is this to big??????

Lid thickness is app. 6mm and bottom is app.6,3 mm is the lid to thick?

And now for attaching the neck: should I mount it to the lid (glued or screws) or to the bottom? Think I'll make it go through the box. Also planning to use a rod piezo.

All help is welcome :-)

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That box doesn't sound like it's too big. Most of the boxes that people build with, even the big ones, are still quite a bit smaller than a full-size acoustic guitar. I've seen some that were comparable, but not many. So 'too big' is a relative term. As for the thickness of the lid, it's a little thicker than I'd prefer, but I've had a few that were close to that size, and they sounded good, so I think you'll be alright. As for mounting the neck, it depends on what you want. If you want the best sound, mount it on the thinnest side. If appearance is important, and one side looks better than the other, use that one. I would use screws to mount the neck, because they're easier to remove, if necessary.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Etsy sales

Started by Bob Pugh-Angry Rooster Guitars in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Grandpa 3 minutes ago. 3 Replies

What's your day job?

Started by Jittery Jay in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Greg Thompson 9 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Whats your excuse.

Started by BP - RabidSalad - in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by BP - RabidSalad - 4 hours ago. 3 Replies

Top 10 Cigar Box Guitar Building Hacks

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Wayfinder 9 hours ago. 33 Replies

VIDEO: Elmar Zeilhofer's Electric Harp-Cigar Box Guitar

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Maddog on Tuesday. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

soundboard wood

Posted by jeff weins on April 29, 2016 at 4:50pm 3 Comments

Vibro-Uke

Posted by Primitive Acoustics on April 28, 2016 at 1:30pm 11 Comments

Zenstrument #5.

Posted by Murdoc_420 on April 28, 2016 at 12:06am 3 Comments

The Latest Version

Posted by Hal Robertson on April 22, 2016 at 9:19am 6 Comments

I think I messed up

Posted by Andrew Corl on April 21, 2016 at 12:38pm 6 Comments

Latest Activity

Grandpa replied to Bob Pugh-Angry Rooster Guitars's discussion Etsy sales
"I'm with you Bob. I saw a lot of quality looking gits and recognized a few sellers by name…"
3 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Another Dawn - original song

"Thanks for the kind comments James! Need to hear some more if your new stuff!"
3 minutes ago
Greg Thompson liked Mark Davidson's video
4 minutes ago
Bruce commented on Jim Morris's video
6 minutes ago
Greg Thompson replied to Jittery Jay's discussion What's your day job?
"I teach visual art at a high school. Since beginning my building journey about a little over a year…"
9 minutes ago
ron carlson commented on ron carlson's photo
Thumbnail

Cinco de Mayo

"Ha!  Thanks John!  "
21 minutes ago
Grandpa replied to Isaac's discussion Fun with a CBG and a $5 DIY harmonica-rack mic!
"Another fine DIY excursion into musical innovation. Thanks for sharing."
27 minutes ago
turtlehead replied to turtlehead's discussion Who wants some jam tracks?
"Thanks John.  Uploading them to Dropbox now under the folder Wav Files. "
35 minutes ago
David "Dr. Easy" Reed posted an event

David Reed & Drunk Bay Cigar Box Guitars at Memorial Park - NE Front St., Milford, DE 19963

June 12, 2016 from 12pm to 7pm
WOW!  Beer!  Bluegrass!  Beer!  Beaches!  Beer! - and CIGAR BOXES! I have been offered a feature…See More
44 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on BP - RabidSalad -'s photo
45 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on Brad Rhinehart's photo
47 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on COYOTE BLUE HYMNS's photo
48 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service