Hey friends,
I'm trying to wire a lavalier mic into one of my gas can builds. The flexy metal pour spout will house the mic and (hopefully) I'll be able to sing into the spout while playing. I know...ridiculous. The plan is to wire mic and pickup to a three way switch and treat the mic loop as a pickup (does that make sense?) the problem- the mic needs to be powered.
I've got 9v bumped down with a resistor for the proper power to be supplied. I've got an 1/8 inch aux plug to plug the mic into. It has 3 posts coming out the back. I'm pretty sure I have all the correct components but I have no idea where to run the wires in between. I'm pretty sure I've been about as clear as mud in trying to explain this. At any rate, I need help.

Thanks,
Sikes

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you intend to feed via the same jack as the guitar signal, you might need an impedance matching transformer in the gas can as well, i suspect like others that feedback might be the major obstacle though.

I think Sikes you are going to have to experiment. Never thought of , Paul's tin can idea it may work. Is it not just a peizo in a Tin can ? Have to agree with Darryl as well, if the mic is low impedance you will need an impedance matching transformer.

Acoustic/piezo preamp?

Adam,

I am trying to understand the question a little better. You have a mic that runs on DC voltage and you want to power it with a 9V battery? It is sort of like Phantom power and that is what you would want to emulate. Crazy old guitarists used to power onboard electronics with 3 wire cables to get the job done. With 3 wires you can combine the audio signal ground with the negative side of the battery signal on one wire. Positive audio signal on one wire and positive 9V on the other wire. So you want the mic audio coming out of the guitar amp?I'm sure this has been done both ways. What you want to do can be done, but it does need to be done right. The input of your guitar amp does not want to see 9VDC , but you can block that with a diode. Let me doodle a little with a wiring diagram. It sure sounds do-able.

have you considered a ghs soundhole mic..  ?   I love them.. they can feedback but only if you're close to the amp.. they require a AA battery..  they are a pain on a regular acoustic because of the battery location but on a gas can...  or CGB  .. you should be abe to design with easy access. and yes you can sing into it..  I used to sing into the soundhole of the guitar for fun..

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

2017 Halloween Build-Off!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by harry thompson 8 hours ago. 31 Replies

Banjo question

Started by Rose Ericson in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Titch the Clown 18 hours ago. 46 Replies

Fretting?

Started by Joe Nanzer in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Joe Nanzer on Sunday. 8 Replies

Latest Activity

Chick Who Tinkers commented on Chick Who Tinkers's photo
Thumbnail

A1

"No worries, Chris. Hope your wifi gets sorted easily for you. We'll chat about all things…"
14 minutes ago
Dennis Reedy commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Postmaster 2 sample

"Dave when you finger pick do you use your fingers or finger nails... what do most people do?"
15 minutes ago
Dennis Reedy commented on ChickenboneJohn's video
Thumbnail

ZZ Top's "25 Lighters" on cigar box guitar

"Great lesson ,ZZ Top is my favorite band, more lessons on their songs would be great. You are a…"
22 minutes ago
Chris Lyons commented on Chick Who Tinkers's photo
Thumbnail

A1

"Hey love, my Wi-Fi's down. If it comes back up Ill message later and share how I tamed that…"
45 minutes ago
Primitive Acoustics commented on Primitive Acoustics's video
Thumbnail

Crank Wheel Cigar Box Guitar

"Twitch and Chick-Thank you so much for checking this out and taking the time to comment!!"
59 minutes ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Janis Wilson Hughes's discussion Scroll saw fret slot cutting - I need a thicker blade - help a sister out please
"These are what i use in my saw Janis, my saw takes pin ended blades, .5 mm is just nice for…"
1 hour ago
Mike Whitney replied to Mike Whitney's discussion Round peizo... feeling underwhelmed.
"Man, I know...! - and old enough to know better. I grabbed some 'chopstick' like scraps…"
1 hour ago
Muddy Creek Guitars commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

Cancer Booth

"Great work for a great cause!"
1 hour ago
Muddy Creek Guitars liked T-Gripped's photo
1 hour ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Janis Wilson Hughes's discussion Scroll saw fret slot cutting - I need a thicker blade - help a sister out please
1 hour ago
"I just had a quick look, i suspect these are too long for your saw, [ 11"], but it gives you…"
1 hour ago
Erasmo Coco commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

BACKSLIDER TRICONE Cigarbox guitar ( TEST RUN 6)

"Thanks again Dave ! Glad you like it."
1 hour ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service