Hey friends,
I'm trying to wire a lavalier mic into one of my gas can builds. The flexy metal pour spout will house the mic and (hopefully) I'll be able to sing into the spout while playing. I know...ridiculous. The plan is to wire mic and pickup to a three way switch and treat the mic loop as a pickup (does that make sense?) the problem- the mic needs to be powered.
I've got 9v bumped down with a resistor for the proper power to be supplied. I've got an 1/8 inch aux plug to plug the mic into. It has 3 posts coming out the back. I'm pretty sure I have all the correct components but I have no idea where to run the wires in between. I'm pretty sure I've been about as clear as mud in trying to explain this. At any rate, I need help.

Thanks,
Sikes

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you intend to feed via the same jack as the guitar signal, you might need an impedance matching transformer in the gas can as well, i suspect like others that feedback might be the major obstacle though.

I think Sikes you are going to have to experiment. Never thought of , Paul's tin can idea it may work. Is it not just a peizo in a Tin can ? Have to agree with Darryl as well, if the mic is low impedance you will need an impedance matching transformer.

Acoustic/piezo preamp?

Adam,

I am trying to understand the question a little better. You have a mic that runs on DC voltage and you want to power it with a 9V battery? It is sort of like Phantom power and that is what you would want to emulate. Crazy old guitarists used to power onboard electronics with 3 wire cables to get the job done. With 3 wires you can combine the audio signal ground with the negative side of the battery signal on one wire. Positive audio signal on one wire and positive 9V on the other wire. So you want the mic audio coming out of the guitar amp?I'm sure this has been done both ways. What you want to do can be done, but it does need to be done right. The input of your guitar amp does not want to see 9VDC , but you can block that with a diode. Let me doodle a little with a wiring diagram. It sure sounds do-able.

have you considered a ghs soundhole mic..  ?   I love them.. they can feedback but only if you're close to the amp.. they require a AA battery..  they are a pain on a regular acoustic because of the battery location but on a gas can...  or CGB  .. you should be abe to design with easy access. and yes you can sing into it..  I used to sing into the soundhole of the guitar for fun..

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

4 String DBGE tuning options

Started by The Big One in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Guitar skills

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 22 hours ago. 18 Replies

Easy DIY Cigar Box Guitar Stand by Eric Denton

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Clark Rowden on Wednesday. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

Mini Vacuum Former Experiment

Posted by Clark Rowden on July 20, 2017 at 6:30am 1 Comment

Pocket hole neck attachment

Posted by Jim Brown on July 18, 2017 at 11:13pm 0 Comments

Bladder instrument

Posted by Tom E on July 15, 2017 at 5:00pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

#6 CBG

"Woof ....."
1 hour ago
darryl kernaghan replied to The Big One's discussion 4 String DBGE tuning options
"Maybe a string calculator will help you out here, i've linked one, but there are…"
3 hours ago
Arlan posted a photo

Time for some building on this beautiful sunny day !

Today is going to be a good day for some building, one CBG on request with modern bridge(experiment…
3 hours ago
Grandpa commented on Grandpa's photo
Thumbnail

Snakeskin! (2)

"Andy, thanks for the " Snake Farm " reference. Went and listened to some Ray Wylie…"
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

#6 CBG

"good stuff .. and  man's best  friend approved ."
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

SWAMP WITCH GUITARS BY THE CEEBEEGEEBEES -REPOST DUE TO CBN CELEB CONTENT

"cheers AGP , it's a  swamp witch  g_itar  video  . only thing…"
3 hours ago
Erasmo Coco commented on James O Lunsford's video
Thumbnail

Like a Rock

"Think I'll go buy a Chevy or is it a GMC . Nice guitar Great Job !!"
5 hours ago
Erasmo Coco liked James O Lunsford's video
5 hours ago
Dustin Aurand posted a discussion

Looking for an amp.

Ok. Looking for a keyboard with the following features.PortableUses batteriesMic inputBass…See More
5 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly replied to Mike's discussion Guitar wall hangers in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Here's my upgraded hanger"
5 hours ago
MadGomer replied to Mike's discussion Guitar wall hangers in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Both look good gentlemen, carry on with the builds!"
5 hours ago
The Big One posted a discussion

4 String DBGE tuning options

Hi all,I have my CBG tuned in DGBE tuning, since I know the ukulele and don't want to re-learn all…See More
6 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service