First time making 1 and 2 string canjo's, have no idea if they're good, bad, or just what they are, I've never played them before, heard a few on here and youtube, kinda winged it on both, each are a little different other than the string count, both are 25-1/2in scale, diatonic, wood burned in fretless marks, every string tune to a G/g, makes noise, thought they'd be a little louder, going to make a few slides next for these and my other builds, then attempt to play them, may hang on wall, or sell if worth more than the pennies mounted on them, at least I know one is worth at least .02 cents and the other .01 cents LOL.
Let me know what you guys think, I'll try and figure out how to post a vid or 2 once I figure out how.
Got a great business proposal, bring all your full PBR and I'll empty them faster than you can use them, free, seriously....no charge LOL.....no seriously
on a more sobering thought.....I like the tall boy canjo, and if it dents up, so what, just adds character, if too banged up, doesn't seem like all that complicated to replace, and can change the look over and over with different tall boy's, and bonus, you get to empty the.....hmmmm, getting on a theme here. ;)
Thanks for the offer, but if you re-read the post, while I said it was hard, but in the end I made it, slayed the dragon, downed the PBR. It wouldn't seem right to build with a beer you wouldn't drink!
I put the strings thru the end of the can as the "bridge" and did have a 16oz can that wasn't up to the task, caved in under the pressure of the strings. It was pretty easy to replace.
I can see where a beer can will have a tough time under the string tension, you might want to try what I did, if you have too many collapsing cans, drill out a penny, use it as a washer for the string on the can, just that much more surface area for the tension will probably keep that from happening, but then you won't have to drink as many ...might be a win lose LOL
The string holes held up ok, the can was attached by a couple of screws into the neck and the whole thing just kept moving forward and finally folded at the rear screw.
Hmmmm, I can see how a single tiny dent in the top of the can would make the entire thing collapse, all the pressure is on the entire can as it pulls towards the neck, I have a suggestion, what if...you fasten the string to the very end of the neck going upward into the same hole on the bottom of the can, no more forward pressure, only downward on the rear of the can, that should be strong enough to hold up, and the bottom of your can would remain the bridge, no more strain on the can mounting points. Just spit balling
I had this exact issue on a similar build. I fixed my design by gluing a piece of wood for the can to press against, and then zip-tying the can to the neck... not the prettiest way to go though.