heres a video on how to make a flat pick up!

https://youtu.be/g_RUuKsUt-k

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't removing it Moritz.  I was in the middle of editing it to be minimally abrasive.  But let's just leave it as it is; it gets the point across. 

Don't tell me stories, it was there for days...

I'm talking about today's post, oh wise one.  The one you copied while I was editing.  You couldn't know that of course, but it often helps to to think about the conversation before hitting the keyboard.

But seriously... after your posts on CBN you whine about being fair

As far as I recall, Elmar in Austria was  pretty much the first with these flatpickups, and he said from the start if you want to copy the idea there was no secret to how they are built - that's a remarkably generous and open attitude.  After all, anyone can buy one, figure it out, copy it and start making them...unless there's a patent or copyright protection...but as far as I know there's no such intellectual property protection on the flatpup. Like it or not, it's in the public domain.

I remember some advice I was given at a guitar show where I was selling my cigar box guitars...and  a guy told me that if I really wanted to make some money, I should teach people how to make them.  At the time I was a bit sceptical about this, but after having a couple of thousand people through my workshops, I've come to terms with the virtues of passing on my knowledge.

Elmar appears to have  decided not to copyright or patent his idea. You can't imply a patent, trademark or copyright: it's a legal entity. For anyone who thinks they've got a great idea...you can choose to share it or protect it, but if you want to protect it ,you need to get serious about it though trademarks, copyright, registered designs and ultimately patents.

Cigar Box Nation is a little pond ...and there's some big, big oceans with some big sharks out there beyond the comfy horizon of the chat room and forum.

I agree, the more I help others in their journey, the more I seem to get rewarded in mine.....I think its kinda Christ like....give and it shall be given!

Now, if someone could tell me.....I dunno, how they make them awesome English made metal body Pyro-resonators!!!...those are sweet!

Copied from Elmer's website
http://www.original-flatpup.com/prices-faq/product-faq

"What if I'd like to make a pickup based on the Flatpup design myself?

When publishing your pickups using the Flatpup principle, please refer to this site.
Call your pickup however you like - except "Flatpup". That's my baby."

I think he is a very gifted and generous person.

I think some people are mis understanding Scott's message intent. I don't feel he was criticising the guy for making the pup, more the video of how to make it, like many others here, I have made copies of Elmar's design for my own use, with Elmar's approval. But to publish a video as a "how to" , without acknowledging Elmar is a step too far in my mind, especially as it is to publicise his own commercial site, others will probably disagree, that's fine, each to their own ethical values

This topic rises over and over again.. just in case anyone would like to know my opinion, I put it in a story: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profiles/blogs/eleanor-s-flat-cake

Your a very Gracious Man Eimar. Maybe you should start marketing your pickups as "The Original Flatpup".
I agree that there's a fine line between sharing and walking all over someone's ideas. If anyone wants to make their own pickup based on someone else's design it's probably fine, but it's rude to show everyone else how to do it or build and sell without acknowledgement and permission.

thank you Craig. They are called "Original Flatpup" since their beginning ;-) www.original-flatpup.com

I've been a CBG guru since the 90's, Noobs might not know me. Created my first pup, the Tesla Transducer (the very first CBG pickup for sale) in 2003 and it still helps pay the rent.  In 2005 I introduced the Stonehenge magnetic CBG pickup based on pups in the guitar I made for the Honey Dripper movie (years before CBN).  A few years later the DownUnder drop-in mag CBG pup.   Lots of other pickup/bridge/tailpiece combos over the years (Flatbed, Panama Red, Happy Ending, Gold Nugget, Scarab and many many custom one-off designs).

I make a lot of my living on CBG pickup sales and instruments, but I also educate anyone on how to make your own all the time.  Elmar has a vid on how he makes his.  I do believe it's respectful to acknowledge the original maker, but I gave up on that almost 15 years ago when cheaper copies started showing up claiming to be original.  

CBN (and Handmade Music Clubhouse) are about sharing ideas and helping others.  I've been totally ripped off on my designs, and one guy called me out on eBay and cut my price in half for a perfect copy, but that's life...   Folks still buy mine and still buy Elmar's creations.  I still answer CBG questions every day.  Can't let it bother you.

I have one of Elmar's very first Flatpups, and we went back and forth on his awesome idea many years ago.  It's nice to be recognized as the inventor, but after many years and many copies it just doesn't matter anymore - nothing to do about it.  Keep doing what you do and keep innovating.  Elmar is a class act!

(BTW, I'm member #1 here at the Nation)

http://handmademusicclubhouse.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Crocker-Guitars-and-Gear

Elmar, remember this one?  What year was it?  I was showing it off the other night on Skype, shot that pic right now, say hi to Angus!

what the point of this forum if you or anybody object to sharing.

C.B.Gitty make a living out of these cbg's but we dont see him moaning of us copying.

no doubt a few of you still buy Chinese made stuff that are direct copies of other manufacturers  and rubbing hands coz you've saved money at the expense of others.whether you like it or not that is how it is these days .CBJohn says if your bothered then get it copyrighted if not then don't winged about it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Rival Sons

Started by Paul Craig in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by SlowFoot 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

A5,E5,G5,A9,E9... etc how to do?

Started by jose garcia paredes in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by jose garcia paredes on Friday. 6 Replies

Volume vs size.

Started by Mardi Macfly in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Moritz Voegeli on Friday. 7 Replies

Build support for cbg´s?

Started by jose garcia paredes in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by John Sawyer on Wednesday. 9 Replies

Kirinite

Started by Michael Walker in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter on Wednesday. 2 Replies

Bowed necks.

Started by Sam Gordon in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Wednesday. 10 Replies

Blog Posts

Fundraisers

Posted by smilingdog1 on February 19, 2017 at 12:00pm 0 Comments

Craft CBG Amp from Soviet radio

Posted by Pavel Aleinik on February 16, 2017 at 1:30am 1 Comment

neck fretted and how not to do it!

Posted by Timothy Hunter on February 14, 2017 at 8:23am 5 Comments

Strings

Posted by Doug Dickerson on February 11, 2017 at 12:20am 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Elio commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Superficial Reasons - original song

"Beautiful ballad Derek! (is a ballad ...? I see as a ballad. - è una ballata...?a me…"
2 hours ago
Old Joe Caruso replied to Peter Solomon's discussion Setting up a CBG workshop in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"I have a standard height bench belt level and a storage unit about 20 inches higher - I find the…"
2 hours ago
Elio liked Derek Rose's video
2 hours ago
Profile IconDwight Bergstrom , Tom Maier and Angelo Mikro joined Cigar Box Nation
3 hours ago
SlowFoot replied to joe's discussion what strings sound the best on a cbg?
"No...not really."
4 hours ago
wes carl commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Decca Next

"Dave the amp man   I think it will be cool "
5 hours ago
Angry Rooster Guitars posted photos
14 hours ago
James O Lunsford commented on Derek Rose's video
14 hours ago
Derek Rose commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Superficial Reasons - original song

"It does have big nasty teeth at times! Thanks Wes!"
16 hours ago
Larry Barber liked Dustin Aurand's discussion Great 6-string tuning for CBG players
16 hours ago
Jim Morris commented on Jim Morris's photo
Thumbnail

Burlap Banjo Re-done

"Thanks Maddog."
16 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service