heres a video on how to make a flat pick up!

https://youtu.be/g_RUuKsUt-k

Views: 3578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my, the cat is out of the bag, and flat as a pancake. Poor kitty.

Now that this secret is revealed, what can we expect next? Perhaps a video of how to make bone slides and custom bone bridges? Or maybe how to start your own guitar parts business?

The idea of sharing ideas and information on this site is a very important attribute which enables all members to grow. And I support this mantra, in as much as it maintains a level of ethics and respect to all involved.

And with a few exceptions, most of what we create and share on this site in regards to guitars, amplifiers, etc. are not new or owned by trademark, copyright, or patent...either actual or implied.

Not everyone who builds cigar box guitars or related items do so as a business. But there are a number of members who are small businesses. A few of them make a version of the flat pickup as part of their business. And to reveal the method or "secret" to the flat pickup without consideration to how it may affect their business is crossing a line that needs to be addressed.

If the video was simply showing how a standard pickup was made (a frame, some magnets, and a lengthy wrap of hair-thin copper wire), no worries. But posting this video could directly affect the trio of flat pickup businesses already represented here.

As an example to what I mean, consider another well known and long time member's iconic guitar called the Swampwitch. I have one, as do many other people. Anonymous Pick made one custom for me, and I love it.

But I would never consider making or posting a video of how it was made.

I would never make and post a video of me making bone slides, like we see from Randy Bretz. Nor would I post a detailed how-to blog of how to start up a guitar parts business like Ben's at C.B. Gitty.

In the end, it's about fair play, respect, and acknowledging that sometimes there is a line drawn in the sand...and a good reason why you should stay on one side of it.

Go to Facebook and do a search for "joes muziekinstrumenten atelier". A post from Elmar (the originator of the flatpup) comes up. It sounds like he is fine with whoever is producing flatpup style pickups. 

I'm not sure if I can repost what he said here due to copyrights. 

Ok Scott, let's speak about ethics and respect: I have a problem with this site that in many cases it's for me not clear if a post comes from somebody involved in cbg business or not: with your post I had the problem I had to check whether you are involved in flat pickup business or not: I suppose you are... If so why do you not declare this clearly? 

It's even worse: there are few people like Chickenbone John who share their experience, but there are far more people involved in cbg business they are not ashamed to fis hfor information from hobbyist builders. 

Ethics and respect for me means that it's clear who is involved in cbg business, that I know their clear names and not only a pseudonym or even a bunch of them.

To be clear Moritz, I am not associated with nor do I produce the type of pickups shown in the video. I have purchased the flat style of pickups from another member who has been making and selling them with Elmar's blessing. Although I make my own pickups (not the type/style in this debate), and could very well make the flat ones myself, I choose not to out of respect for Elmar and one of the two others here who make and sell them.

As others have pointed out, including Elmar himself, the issue is not really if someone wants to make his or her own flat style of pickup for personal use in a guitar project. Elmar only asks that others refrain from using the label "Flatpup" and for referral to his website.

In regards to my CBN name or pseudonym, I offer my first name, Scott, and my nickname Farmer Ted. Those who chat with or write to me may use either. Last names are reserved for professional interactions.

Thanks Scott for clarification.

Thanks Erasmo, you got it, maybe on our side of the big pond we are a bit more strict about the distinction between information, promotion and business. I agree with Scott that last names may be reserved for professional interactions, on the other side I never and never will buy something from a person I cannot identify on the net, worse if I have to do some detective work to find out whether A be the same person as B or not.

You're wrong Wayfinder: over the years I didn't have any problem with providers nor need for support after buying. My rule number two: never buy from a bigmouth, the real players I know are modest people.

P.S. Please don't mistreat the initial riff of «smoke on the water» no more, I have vivid memories of the story behind this song...

P.S. « You're wrong Wayfinder...» was the answer of a post Wayfinder has cancelled.

Wayfinder, it's not fair that you continue removing your offending posts, apart from the «rotten apple» one, so I will save a copy you cannot just cancel:

Original post was left with intent of dealing with a reasonable, rational person.  When I realized all you were doing was trolling, I removed it and decided to leave it be, but now explain why it was removed.  You should have just let it be.

Moritz, in all the time I've been on CBN I've not once seen someone intentionally insult another person's playing-- until you.  Your rude and hateful posts don't deserve respectful response.  Since CBN isn't much moderated against such posts... troll away. But do so by yourself, 'cos I'm done replying to you.

Don't tell me stories, it was there for days...

As far as I recall, Elmar in Austria was  pretty much the first with these flatpickups, and he said from the start if you want to copy the idea there was no secret to how they are built - that's a remarkably generous and open attitude.  After all, anyone can buy one, figure it out, copy it and start making them...unless there's a patent or copyright protection...but as far as I know there's no such intellectual property protection on the flatpup. Like it or not, it's in the public domain.

I remember some advice I was given at a guitar show where I was selling my cigar box guitars...and  a guy told me that if I really wanted to make some money, I should teach people how to make them.  At the time I was a bit sceptical about this, but after having a couple of thousand people through my workshops, I've come to terms with the virtues of passing on my knowledge.

Elmar appears to have  decided not to copyright or patent his idea. You can't imply a patent, trademark or copyright: it's a legal entity. For anyone who thinks they've got a great idea...you can choose to share it or protect it, but if you want to protect it ,you need to get serious about it though trademarks, copyright, registered designs and ultimately patents.

Cigar Box Nation is a little pond ...and there's some big, big oceans with some big sharks out there beyond the comfy horizon of the chat room and forum.

I agree, the more I help others in their journey, the more I seem to get rewarded in mine.....I think its kinda Christ like....give and it shall be given!

Now, if someone could tell me.....I dunno, how they make them awesome English made metal body Pyro-resonators!!!...those are sweet!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
13 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
14 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
19 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
22 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
23 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->