Meet the Savart's Wheel, a tuned rasp instrument performed by legendary instrument inventor, Bart Hopkin.  There are thirty discs placed on a rotating spindle, each with ridges placed on the edges.  Hopkin uses hand-held styrofoam cups with plastic plectrums as the means of playing/amplifying the notes.  (Styrofoam is a great resonating material!)

Enjoy the irritating sounds as Hopkin plays Somewhere Over the Rainbow!  (We're hoping that he records a Christmas album on the Savart's Wheel someday...)

Learn more about the Savart's Wheel by visiting Bart Hopkin's website.

A note from Shane Speal:  Bart Hopkin's work has been highly influential in my study of DIY instruments.  The back issues of his now out-of-print magazine, "Experimental Musical Instruments" are an essential resource. This book contains all of the canjo-building how-to info that Ben "Gitty" Baker has gleaned over almost a decade of building these fun, easy-to-play instruments. Canjos are one of the easiest homemade instruments to build, and now you have all of the how-to guidance you need right at your fingertips! This guide is chock-full of detailed color photos and diagrams to walk you through each step of canjo-building.

How to Build a Canjo - $9.99

Views: 1916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

would make winding pickups more interesting . 

"Enjoy The Irritating Sounds",  You got that right. 

You have to try hard to outdo the bagpipes, LOL

oi !!!  nothing wrong with bagpipes...lol  ( ex Pipe Band drummer) lol

The only thing missing is someone with a voice like gargling sawdust to sing along...

and I like bagpipes too, AC/DC a long way to top if you wanna rock-n-roll !!

Yoko Ono.

A perfect pair.  Gives me the heebee geebees just thinking about it.

Yea.  Pretty ugly.  Sorta takes the glass harmonica concept and gives it a big middle finger!  But...have any of you guys done any exploring on Bart's website?  I think it's REALLY cool!  Some of the instruments he invented and plays are just weird and not very pleasant-sounding.  But some of them are really beautiful!  Inspired by Bart's pot harp (I think that's its name)--I have a couple of old stew pots at home that I'm going to make into some kind of harp.  His floating guitar is really pretty-sounding too.  And IMO he plays pretty well.  I like the gongs too.

I'll be featuring his videos on a weekly basis.  His work radically changed my life.  Learn everything you can from Bart Hopkin.

I'm on it.  Thanks for posting that, Shane!

That's very raspy.

I am pretty sure that with some effort, I could improve the design.

Getting the drum to run true and reduce "wow" and "flutter" would be a start. Then changing to a drum of infinitely varying diameter instead of steps.

Color coding zones for pitch reference might be a good thing.

I am confident I could improve the results to at minimum, the level of horrible. LOL!

Interesting concept, from a thinking man. Dig it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Simple Moving Coil Pickup

Started by Joseph J. Rogowski in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

Hubcap grounding issues

Started by Colin Trundle in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan 8 hours ago. 13 Replies

Build this Wooden Kick Drum Pedal

Started by Rose Ericson in Feature Articles. Last reply by the anonymous pick 8 hours ago. 12 Replies

2017 Halloween Build-Off!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Daniel Hulbert yesterday. 30 Replies

seeking advice

Started by Michael Graves in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Titch the Clown on Saturday. 4 Replies

Intruduction

Started by Martin Ford in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Martin Ford on Friday. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Ducati Scotty posted a discussion

Diddley Bow for my one year old

Since I built my older son Tor a three string license plate guitar, it only seemed to make sense to…See More
7 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked RTZGUITARS's photo
22 minutes ago
RTZGUITARS posted photos
30 minutes ago
Stephen Cohen posted a status
"I just posted a video of my beer-can guitar composition, Garden of Bees. My beer-can guitar naturally helped me create a sound like bees."
34 minutes ago
Stephen Cohen posted a video

Garden of Bees

Stephen Cohen: beer-can guitar; Garden of Bees composed by Stephen Cohen at deFENIKS Art Center, Mortsel, Belgium; recorded at Grant Street Studio, Portland,...
40 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

It’s After Midnight Baby R. Sundberg & James O. Lunsford

"I'm going to play this to my baby after midnight tonight ..... Smoooooottttthhhhh work both of…"
1 hour ago
Downtown Vinnie posted a video
2 hours ago
Downtown Vinnie commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Farceur

"Thanks brother D, Oh Kat,hahahahaahah,yer killin me...."
2 hours ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

It’s After Midnight Baby R. Sundberg & James O. Lunsford

"Thank you Dennis for the really nice comments. I gave the guitar you built for me a double workout…"
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Leaf Down Lullaby 2 - Slide version

":-(   and i'll miss you most of all scarecrow  pick . right ,... right ? :-."
3 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Dennis Reedy's photo
Thumbnail

Half round

"Unreal box mate killer score ."
4 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Dennis Reedy's photo