I had a few folks that expressed an interest in buying a CBG from me, but it appears they were intimidated by the 3 string versions, and felt that a 4 string version would be more familiar to them. No amount of explaining would suffice, so I built a couple of 4 stringers.

I was not sure what type of tuning would satisfy these guys. The guy a the music store suggested maybe I should tune them like a mountain dulcimer. I figured I would give it a try, but the strings he gave me are really light and I am not sure I like them.

How could I tune/string a 4 stringer that would satisfy someone who is familiar with a normal 6 string guitar?

The bottom 4 strings? The top 4 strings?

Views: 18512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure why Shane calls A7 the magic jazz tuning - I would think you would want Amaj7 for a jazz tuning. Probably depends on what period of jazz you're listening to, lol.

I've played "Linus and Lucy" (the Charlie Brown theme) on a 3 string tuned DAd (AEa would work too). It's actually very easy. No reason you can't play other jazz tunes - in any tuning you like.

Brian Lemin said:
I see the "A7" referred to as the "Magic Jazz tuning".
I could be quite interested in playing Jazz on the CBG...... can anyone comment on this tuning or point me to some A7 jazz audio/video/tabs please?
If you want a low grindy blues sound, string the top 4 string (EADG) and tune it D-A-d-f#... and off you go.

the best,

Wichita Sam
I stand corrected, just got it out of order.

Doc Oakroot said:
CDGA? Yikes - that's a strange tenor :) How about CGDA?

Tim Norman said:
Tune it as you would a tenor guitar CDGA.
For what it's worth, I tune mine GDgd. All my demos (The Blind Gee tracks, played by Sam Vandenberg) were on this tuning. There is some merit in NOT having your guitar tuned to a triad - you can easily add the major or minor third with a finger. If you listen to my demos I'm sure you'll agree that G D g d is not a limited tuning - you can get lots of chords.

Today I came up with a very easy and flexible tuning that gives you the best of both 4 string "Spanish" and 3 string open G d g worlds.

from closest to you: HIGH Bb, low G then d g.

Open or a straight bar across gives minor. Plus one fret on the Bb string gives major. Presto! Every major and minor triad with two fingers!

Why put the HIGH Bb where the low G would normally go? Because your top 3 strings (the ones furthest away from you) are now G d g, which is standard 3 string tuning. Great for power chords and octaves and all that other 3 string stuff, and exactly the right strings to play with a slide, easily not playing the string nearest you. So in one guitar, you now have a 4 string for easy triad playing and a 3 string for classic blues slide.

Despite being like a banjo tuning (which also has the high string closest to you) it's probably not so good for pickers because the thumb is going to be on the major or minor third a lot of the time.

only 18 months to stumble onto this gem. I know you produced the Chord Shapes for 4 string guitar but that was all closed shapes. Did you ever do up something similar for the   HIGH Bb, low G then d g?

Cause this sounds like a great option for heaps of newbies who likely don't have the strength in there last two fingers for closed chords. "Open or a straight bar across gives minor. Plus one fret on the Bb string gives major. Presto! Every major and minor triad with two fingers"

Sometimes it's easier to grasp the concept with a chart than trying to explain it with words & from what I can gather this tuning has great merit for not only newbies but for people with limited hand strength from injury or stroke etc....

No, I haven't. But, all this time later, I think an even better tuning is GDAD. That makes minor and major triads easy on the A string, gives you a very open (add2) tuning on open strings, and a DAD open tuning on the high strings for slide. It's a great tuning and you'll find heaps of stuff on it - maybe tending toward the pretty sounds.

Thanks :). "Pretty sounds" - that will be a change from what I've been making lately. Almost finished my cookie tin (finally) so might even give it a try on that.

The point is something familiar to regular guitar players.
Bottom 4 - DGBE.
Works with the same chords as a regular guitar, minus the top 2 strings.
It gets easier. It's also the same tuning as a baritone uke ( as noted earlier). Same chords, so all they need is a baritone uke chord chart .... this is also good for noobs.

Matt
Yes, understood, but not sure that is necessarily always the point. The guitarists who play my instruments love that they find new shapes and progressions rather than being in same old guitar land. I agree it makes it easier for a guitarist keeping the low or high 4 tuning, but why is that such a good thing? Shake the tree a little I say! Find new things. Write songs in a different way to what you've done for years. The tuning I found today really suits someone who 1) prefers the open 3 string tuning (especially for slide) but wishes they could get a real triad more easily too and 2) someone who has never played guitar - 2 fingers, all major and minor chords.
Still, I prefer GDgd but then I'm not a guitarist.

Matt Towe said:
The point is something familiar to regular guitar players.
Bottom 4 - DGBE.
Works with the same chords as a regular guitar, minus the top 2 strings.
It gets easier. It's also the same tuning as a baritone uke ( as noted earlier). Same chords, so all they need is a baritone uke chord chart .... this is also good for noobs.

Matt
Glenn Reither said:
Yes, understood, but not sure that is necessarily always the point. The guitarists who play my instruments love that they find new shapes and progressions rather than being in same old guitar land. I agree it makes it easier for a guitarist keeping the low or high 4 tuning, but why is that such a good thing? Shake the tree a little I say! Find new things. Write songs in a different way to what you've done for years. The tuning I found today really suits someone who 1) prefers the open 3 string tuning (especially for slide) but wishes they could get a real triad more easily too and 2) someone who has never played guitar - 2 fingers, all major and minor chords.
Still, I prefer GDgd but then I'm not guitarist
What Iggy said ...
I had a few folks that expressed an interest in buying a CBG from me, but it appears they were intimidated by the 3 string versions, and felt that a 4 string version would be more familiar to them. No amount of explaining would suffice, so I built a couple of 4 stringers.,

Going back to the original post, that does seem to be the point. I would be he's talking to people with some sort of musical background or knowledge.
Now with pure noobs, it wouldn't really make a difference ... they gotta learn from scratch anyway.
But I go back to the chords .... the best thing is to get people, even noobs, playing quick to keep from loosing interest.
Best thing , easy to play and learn. The baritone uke chords are a breeze to find online ..... what about all the other tunings?

Matt
You're right.

Matt Towe said:
Glenn Reither said:
Still, I prefer GDgd but then I'm not guitarist
What Iggy said ...
I had a few folks that expressed an interest in buying a CBG from me, but it appears they were intimidated by the 3 string versions, and felt that a 4 string version would be more familiar to them. No amount of explaining would suffice, so I built a couple of 4 stringers.,

Going back to the original post, that does seem to be the point. I would be he's talking to people with some sort of musical background or knowledge.
Now with pure noobs, it wouldn't really make a difference ... they gotta learn from scratch anyway.
But I go back to the chords .... the best thing is to get people, even noobs, playing quick to keep from loosing interest.
Best thing , easy to play and learn. The baritone uke chords are a breeze to find online ..... what about all the other tunings?

Matt
But either low 4 or high 4 isn't a get out of jail free card for a guitarist except for playing lead. For example, uke is the same intervals as high 4 guitar, but a C Major on uke is not the same shape as C Major on guitar. Nor is G, F or anything else. So even with high 4 tuning, you have to learn all new shapes anyway. Same for low 4 because critical notes in the guitar shape will often be on the 2 strings you don't have. Then you have to ask yourself what tuning will give you the most flexibility, or will give you good droney colours? Or just be simple plain fun.

My buddy Sam Vandenberg, who is on this network, played all my demo's for me. He had a 3 string and a 4 string for 2 days before he put down the demos for Blind Gee 3 and 4. GDg and GDgd tuning. Even now, he might not play that tuning for weeks, but can pick one of my new gats up and play something great, as evidenced in the demo's. He finds it harder to play lead on those tunings and if it was high 4 guitar tuning he would obviously find lead a no-brainer.
But that's just for lead.

If a uke player wanted something they didn't have to learn new shapes on, I'd use a high 4 tuning. But for a guitarist, they're going to have to learn new shapes anyway, whether it be from a book or through the joy of discovery. The easiest way to turn a blinkered guitarist onto treating these things as a different instrument rather than just a guitar with 2 broken strings is to play something for them, show them a couple of shapes, and let them tinker with it for 20 minutes. It's a CBG - you shouldn't need a book. Just pick the damn thing up and play it, then write your own book and sell it to the scaredy-cats :)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Niall McCracken is now a member of Cigar Box Nation
2 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
3 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
14 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
15 hours ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
15 hours ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
17 hours ago
AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
17 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
17 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->