So as time progresses, I'm getting closer and closer to starting my first build. My tuners just got delivered today, so I guess I'll probably start on the head of it first off.

I'd like to do an angled headstock, but I'm not sure what the best angle for it is, any tips, suggestions etc..? 

Views: 952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, see Rick's or my posts on Scarf/Splicing neck peghead, post this week.

15 degrees gives about the correct break angle and pressure on the fingerboard nut.

Cheers Taff

Really, just do what Taff says. I feared making my angled headstock and it was easy! Ok, I had a devil of time gluing it but I think I spent more time worrying about it than making it. Have fun!

Thank you sooo much!! Two more questions (for now), what type of glue is best for gluing the headstock to the neck? And should I drill holes and use pegs, or just run with glue?

I've always used tightbond glue, Original. Never had to reinforce if you have good mated surfaces.

Taff

what Taffy said, and lots of clamps.

any reputable pva or similar glue is ok, the issue is in the matching of the parts, and quality of the joint, with good compression from clamping etc, you are unlikely to get failure, and for what it is worth, I use an 11 deg angle for headstock joints, no reason for that other than it was recommended to me a long time ago, and works ok

I've done a lot of scarf joints for 3, 4 and 6 stringers. Never had one fail. It is not a difficult task if you keep a couple of things in mind.

1. Make sure the two mating surfaces are well matched.

2. Apply the glue (TiteBond) to both surfaces and ALLOW IT TO BECOME TACKY. Many folks apply glue and immediately try to clamp things together. They just slip and slide on a scarf joint. You have plenty of work time, so let it get real tacky before putting pieces together.

3. Sprinkle a very small amount of salt on one of the glue surfaces to help keep things from sliding.

4. Don't go crazy with clamp pressure. You just don't need it and it causes things to slip.

By the way, I use a 12 degree angle. I've read about 11, 12 and 15. I think they all work well.

Hi again if you look down the side bar of recent posts in  "forum", check out "Another way splice/scarf jig" it shows gluing ideas.

Taff.

if this worked for medieval lutes,  then its really up to you what angle, if it does what you want, its right...

Roland, I like Titebond glue and there are other good ones. 

I would say that unless you are a good, experienced wood worker that keeping a first build simple is the way to go.  No scarf.  Cut the head stock down so it sits lower than the fret board - or use a glued on fret board that causes the head stock to be lower.  

Bolts for nuts reduce strings hopping out of place.  Making the head stock long enough to have about two inches between the nut and nearest tuner helps create some downward angle and keep the strings where you need them.  In the CBG world, most of us have no qualms about stringing the strings to the 'wrong' side of the machine heads- the straightest alignment will work best. 

Scarf it if you want.  Have fun and good wishes.  Build, learn and move on to the next one.  A great starting

how to play video is knotlenny's cbg 101.  You can google it or find it at page top under resources/how to play.

Hi Roland, here is what Uncle john is talking about. Only one of these necks has a scarf joint peghead.

I save it for the classier models I make, I have tried all ways as you can see. some are straight though at the neck thickness, but this depends on the length of the tuner posts.

Cheers Taff

Taff

Yup!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
14 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
14 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
15 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
15 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
15 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
17 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
18 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
20 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->