Handmade Copper Pipe Guitars and Scrap Iron Guitars

by Shane Speal

Two of the most freakish guitars in my extremely weird guitar collection are by Tone-A-Cane Copper Pipe Guitars and Pete Regan’s Metal Guitars. Both are crafted using metal for body and necks…and both are so damn heavy, you could win bar fights with them.

The Tone-A-Cane Guitar (www.copperguitars.com) is the brainchild of Worcester, MA artist, Timothy Dlugasz and, with the exception of the wood fretboard, is made completely of copper pipes. In my Tone-A-Cane (an early version, serial # 03), the body is mostly non-existent, with small shrimp-fork wings to coming out the sides. More recent Tone-A-Canes have a Les Paul-ish body outline made from copper for better ergonomics.

I’m a guy who appreciates a baseball bat neck and the Tone-A-Cane is the fattest, most massive neck I’ve ever seen. The neck consists of three copper pipes that run the length of the body. Two smaller pipes flank the sides while a thicker pipe goes up the middle. A wooden fretboard is glued to them (intonation is perfect, by the way) and the headstock is formed from the two outside pipes joined with a few elbow connectors.

The humbucking pickup delivers a surpisingly warm jazz tone when plugged into my 30 watt Musicvox MVX-30 amp. I’ve used the Tone-A-Cane in several concerts and it’s always a crowd pleaser, causing cellphones to pop up for pictures and videos.
Tone-A-Cane Guitars are sold online at www.copperguitars.com. You can also see the newer Ghost Body versions at the website.

Pete Regan Guitars look like modernist sculptures that should be hanging in an art gallery. Huntsville, AL based Regan uses hunks of scrap iron, rebars and welding joints to create super-heavy Mad Max guitar/weapons that have sustain for days.
The Pete Regan guitar in my collection is a 2-string slide instrument inspired by cigar box guitars. Regan started with a narrow rectangle body crafted from rebar and flat metal, adding disappearing circle “sound holes” and loading an EMG single coil. He added a bottom hunk of rebar to rest on your lap when sitting, providing enough weight to cut off circulation to leg.

The neck is simply two hunks of salvaged rebar with a nut also made of rebar. There’s no warping here!

I’ve tried several string combinations with the Pete Regan. One incarnation was to use the low and high E strings from a standard pack of electric strings and tune it E – E’. Here’s a quick demo.

In addition to making the scrap iron guitars, Regan has also invented a percussion instrument that gives the sound of prisoners hammering railroad spikes with their chains clanging.

The pedal (which I call the John Henry) is simply an old ball peen hammer with chain links attached to the back, mounted to a lever pedal. At the top of it is an actual railroad spike. When you stomp on it, the hammer slams the rail spike and then crashes back with a shattering rattle of chains. Since prison chants and field hollers provided the continuing concept of my latest album, HOLLER, we used this stomper everywhere. Here’s just one example, the song “Big Leg Woman/Swing the Hammer.”

Pete Regan doesn’t have a standard website. (I don’t even think that’s his real name!) However, if you want to see more of his instruments or contact him about building you an iron battle axe guitar, you can find him on Facebook.

Views: 4428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Copper fronts from old hot water cylinder

Great job, love them.

Thanks Paul

Fantastic! How thick is the copper?

Thanks John.The copper is 0.6mm thick

o

The sound hole was cut with a piercing saw.I think I snapped about 10 blades

Man that's a great job. BEAUTIFUL

Flippin' BRILLIANT... have always loved his creations. Thanks for sharing Shane!! Heavy metal indeed, hah! -Glenn

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->