Hey all.  Just wondering what you might recommend for an easy but lasting fret dot.  I can't decide on whether to paint the dots, use stickers, paint a sticker then place, or do some type of inlay.  I was leaning towards using some simple round stickers then clear coating on top of that.  What do all of you usually do?

D

Views: 378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw someone on the nation using a hole punch and some blue tortoise shell picks, looked kinda cool.If you have access to a drill press the ridgy didge fretboard inlays can't really be beat, they're not that expensive, and theres plenty of youtube videos covering the how to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQG078149CI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7Q_P9_bdw

Goodluck

Brett
If I'm doing an old fashioned neck I'll use 1/4" dowels (you can get them at any craft store). When it comes time to finish the neck and dress the frets, I'll sand the surface of the fingerboard using olive oil. The oil seeps into the end grain of the dowel and stains it much darker than the rest of the fingerboard, making them stand out. Good contrast.

If I'm doing a high end guitar, I use MOP or abalone of some sort. Same process. Drill a hole but just much more shallow.
Brilliant!

Naz Nomad said:
Brass rod ... it's total overkill, but it's everlasting. A perfect match for a pack of Ben's gold fretwire too.

I just used a 1/4" paper punch on a black CD case on a build, and inlayed them with epoxy for the fretboard. And I drilled holes in the side of the neck and poured black pigmented epoxy into it for the side markers.

I have seen some necks here on the nation where the marked frets are just stained a lot darker with no dots. I have to say it looks really cool and I will have to do this on my next build.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have scanned the site looking at all the pics of various dot inlays. They all look so good, so it is hard to choose. I really liked the darker stained ones the best. I am being too much of a perfectionist I think. Anyway, thanks again.

D
I'm currently working on my first build and I used fender tortoise shell picks cut with a hole punch I thought it worked great.

Douglas Eric Marsalis said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have scanned the site looking at all the pics of various dot inlays. They all look so good, so it is hard to choose. I really liked the darker stained ones the best. I am being too much of a perfectionist I think. Anyway, thanks again. D
Small nails, cut most of the shaft off, drill shallow hole size of nail head, tap 'em in.

Use for side markers also: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/4-string-5-5?context=user
you can drill a hole, melt some solder in it, and then sand smooth. It looks really nice when its done.


I've used the hole-punch method to punch nice, round markers out of flatpick material. Get those big Fender triangular picks and you can do a whole guitar...
I used a Forstner bit (1/4") to drill the holes, using my drill press for precise depth. They look good and fit flush.

For the side markers, I use one of those hairbrushes with the thick plastic "bristles" with the little knobs on the end.
These are tapered, so I just cut them off, stick them into a 1/6" (or so) hole with some glue, and then cut them off flush with a razor blade when dry. They look quite professional....
You could use bullet casing ends, that's my favorite. 38 special seems to work the best for when you get down lower on the fretboard on the last few frets. Check out my page cause I couldn't figure out how to link up a picture. I get alot of positive reaction from those who see them used.

Good luck.
I use a 1/8" hole punch on medium guitar picks for side markers -- so they match the fingerboard ones.

Mark Werner said:
I've used the hole-punch method to punch nice, round markers out of flatpick material. Get those big Fender triangular picks and you can do a whole guitar...
I used a Forstner bit (1/4") to drill the holes, using my drill press for precise depth. They look good and fit flush.

For the side markers, I use one of those hairbrushes with the thick plastic "bristles" with the little knobs on the end.
These are tapered, so I just cut them off, stick them into a 1/6" (or so) hole with some glue, and then cut them off flush with a razor blade when dry. They look quite professional....
Your markers are so freaking cool but that's gotta be expensive, no? Brass is so damned expensive these days. I don't even wanna tell you what I spend on .454 shells (no primers).

Godzilla said:
You could use bullet casing ends, that's my favorite. 38 special seems to work the best for when you get down lower on the fretboard on the last few frets. Check out my page cause I couldn't figure out how to link up a picture. I get alot of positive reaction from those who see them used.

Good luck.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor


Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Who wants free guitar parts?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Cigar Box Nation News. Last reply by Michael barron 1 hour ago. 4 Replies

Resonator guitar

Started by bizzaro guitaro in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 7 hours ago. 6 Replies

solid body?

Started by john mackay in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Fomhorach yesterday. 16 Replies

Cigar Box Guitar Building: We dispell the myth of plywood Vs MDF

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Mark Lindsay yesterday. 6 Replies

How many frets

Started by Barrie Collins in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Fomhorach yesterday. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

Blue Tooth Amp

Posted by Al Nelson on May 26, 2016 at 8:13pm 2 Comments

Accoustic Guitar Magazine / CBG

Posted by wes carl on May 26, 2016 at 3:30pm 2 Comments

$9.99 Violin?

Posted by Jim Morris on May 20, 2016 at 1:21pm 12 Comments

Premature Jocularity?

Posted by Jim_in_Tucson on May 15, 2016 at 4:30pm 2 Comments

Latest Activity

darryl kernaghan replied to Wayfinder's discussion Lace Alumitone-- How is it done?
"That one where i got the noise from the amp,was number 1,at the time i was still using a wall wart…"
17 minutes ago
Clock The Wolf commented on Dave Lynas's video
33 minutes ago
Clock The Wolf commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
Thumbnail

Hot Legs - Live session - Samson c2 mic test

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!! LIVE HOT BUGGZ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"
35 minutes ago
Clock The Wolf commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Rocket Fuel

"Rocketman."
37 minutes ago
Clock The Wolf commented on Mr.C's video
Thumbnail

Have safe weekend

"Coooooooooooooool"
39 minutes ago
Clock The Wolf commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Billy The Kid

"Ted! Jim! John! OVERLOAD!!!"
40 minutes ago
Mr.C commented on Mr.C's video
Thumbnail

Have safe weekend

"Have enuff wire left over for another want me to pop into a envelope uncle john"
51 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on Uncle John's video
58 minutes ago
Michael barron replied to Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com)'s discussion Who wants free guitar parts?
"I do"
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick commented on Rick Alexander's video
Thumbnail

Low Rider Jam

"COOL   es'e.   "
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick replied to Justin Hilts's discussion Guitar build #7 and first pick-up
"yup  . lookin  good  ."
1 hour ago
Clock The Wolf commented on Uncle John's video
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service