I have a couple of 4-string pups and would like to use at least one on a 3-string build.  Should I angle the pup to keep the magnets closer or just center it on the strings and go with it?  

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"(The closer a pickup is to the strings the louder the volume.) Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying."

Not necessarily. Try an experiment with a pup that only adjusts the whole pup up and down, much less individual pole pieces. You get it too close to the strings, you can actually "choke" them, losing (not loosing) volume. Why? Because the mag field, and therefore its pull, is so strong at a certain close distance to the strings that it can affect the string's ability to vibrate freely. There is a definite sweet spot within a pup's mag field where strings sound their best.This phenomenon has been known amongst guitar techs for a very long time.

Try it and see...

I have heard that rumor and understand how people would think that to be the case.  I have myself gotten a pickup too close to the strings and received bad sound... but that was mainly because the strings either struck the pickup while vibrating, or the magnetic field was unbalanced and didn't handle the strings evenly.

In reality, the magnetic field produced through a pole pickup is so weak at the tip of the poles it would be almost impossible for it to negatively impact strings.  The rumor that a "too strong pickup" can negatively affect strings or another equally strong rumor-- that it can diminish sustain-- was put to the test by a guitar tech on Youtube. 

In his test, he took a 200 lb / sq in magnet (far stronger than any pickup magnet) and near-mounted it directly over the strings on an electric guitar.  He tested the volume and sustain of the strings with and without that ultra-strong magnet in place.  The result:  zero discernible effect.  His finding:  myth busted.

I have busted the myth myself (at least to my satisfaction) with flat pickups.  We're talking pickups with high-power neo magnets mounted directly beneath the strings-- often within 1/8" distance.  No distant magnetic field-- we're talking direct magnetic attraction from a high-power magnet (far more powerful than just about any standard pickup magnet). 

The results:  everyone who has used a flat pickup can attest to the terrific sound they produce.  And their magnetic pull and field is far stronger and direct than that of any standard pickup.  In fact almost the entire upper magnetic field of a flat pickup surrounds the strings, unlike an inner-body pickup with pin-transferred magnetic field.

So I'll have to respectfully disagree on this one.  I've not seen evidence that any magnetic field short of a high-power electromagnet could negatively affect the performance of guitar strings.  And if the magnet was that powerful, it would literally suck the strings right down to the surface of the magnet. 

Since I build and sell flat pickups, it makes sense I would have researched this rumor pretty extensively.  Not seen any concrete evidence so far supporting pickup/string interference.  But I'm not posting this carved in granite.  The above are just the findings of a YouTube experimenter any my own playing... as well as the experience of flat pickup players world-wide.  I still have an open mind on this subject and am interested in any documented experiments that a standard pickup (or flat pickup for that matter) can adversely affect guitar strings.  My findings though:  the more the magnetic field surrounds the strings, the better the sound (which is why flat pickups sound so awesome on a CBG).

No tests or data to back this up, but at some point the magnetic pull has to effect the strings ability to vibrate /oscillate i'd think, and effect volume less than sustain probably, as i say, just my thoughts.

I agree with you.  The question is at what point that "some point" is.  I figure if a 200 lbpi magnet can't do it, and N45 neo magnets can't do it... standard guitar pickups don't get anywhere near that point. 

I'm sure it could be figured out mathematically by determining the amount of pull a magnet would need to have on an X-diameter string with Y-content ferrous metal to overcome the Z-tension factor of the string (or something like that), but I'm guessing that figure would come out pretty high-- at least well over 200 lbs/sq in magnet pull-- and way out of guitar pickup mag field power.

Not to denigrate your own experience, which is well documented here, but I will equally respectfully agree to disagree to agree, through my own experimentation using both movable single coil pups with fixed pole pieces, and those with independently-movable pole pieces, as well as with a few humbuckers. I have myself done this test numerous times, and in all cases but one that I can think of, getting the pup too close to the strings did indeed choke them, due to increased magnetic pull on the strings. And in each of the above cases, there was also such a thing as getting the pups too far away, allowing for insufficient disturbance of the mag field by the strings. I could hear a discernible difference in tonal quality dependent on distance of pole piece to string, and there to my ears was a point at which the strings seemed to resonate "better." I'd did this by being as meticulous as I could, using feeler gauges, mm-scale rulers, as equally-applied1/4 turns of the adjustment screws, and my own two ears. I do not have SPL or voltage data, nor the handwritten distance data sheets to back this assertion up, and admit that it is a qualitative difference. But I continue to fine-tune my commercial gits this way, because I at least can hear "something" different. And not because I read of the myth in Guitar Player magazine; this experimentation was done when I didn't know diddley squat about pickups and pole positions, and figured "Hey, look! Adjustment screws! Wonder what these do?" It could be that this may just rank up there with people who think tonewoods are hooey, while others continue to unfulfillably desire Brazilian rosewood for their acoustics.

Considering your experimenting, I'll have to experiment more and pay close attention to a possible "choke point".  In this field I've learned to discount nothing. ;D

P.S. Adding a 0.15" blade, for comparison you would have to lower the pickup 0.15", otherwise you just raise the pickup for this amount which increases the volume.

Ah I see.  Yeah, if that height would bring the pickup too close to the strings, that is definitely a consideration.  Fortunately most pickup heights are easy to adjust.  Unless of course they're perma-installed on a solid CBG shelf, which might present an issue.

So good point.

Further experiments with my 5.4K four pole single coil alnico5 pickup with a plastic cover: I used a 10" piece of a very fine string to find the magnetically hot spots of the pickup. On the surface of the pickup hottest is the point between the middle poles, second the middle poles, third the outer poles, at a distance of 0.20" same results. With a 0.02" steel blade above the poles nearly same results, but with a better response for the outer poles.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

POD 2.0?

Started by Mensh in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear 1 minute ago. 4 Replies

Box art

Started by Scott Hall in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Scott Hall 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

What Amp for Gigs?

Started by Mensh in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

One Finger Lesson: Take Me Home Country Roads - VIDEO & TAB

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Ron Oldoren 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

Another Neck Strengthener

Started by Wayfinder in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 2 hours ago. 34 Replies

One Finger Lesson: "Yesterday" by the Beatles - Video + TAB

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Zak Davis 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

One Finger Lesson: "Amazing Grace" - Video lesson

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles 23 hours ago. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

43rd Shamrock posted photos
12 minutes ago
Miku posted a video

Psalterium model Lasko Munalny

Low-fi double lyre made of broken necks and beer keg. This metal disc is made of very light and resonating metal. No idea what is it and where it comes from.
19 minutes ago
bemuzic commented on bemuzic's video
Thumbnail

FB Live - Busking in my favourite spot : -)

"Thanks John, it was a great day. That bridge is really old. It was built in the 14th…"
25 minutes ago
Rich commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

CBG Dorothy

"made the house begin to twitch as I recall"
28 minutes ago
Thumbnail

CBG Dorothy

"2 string  tornado."
28 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

CBG Dorothy

"No 2 string?"
54 minutes ago
Dockyard Guitars replied to Dockyard Guitars's discussion CBG Makers, Players, and enthusiasts wanted by Winston Churchill Trust Fellow 2017.
"Thank you Ron, i'll try and make that festival. Already a big fan of Chickebone John! I…"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

CBG Dorothy

"The way I heard the story -  it was one string in Kansas, 3 strings in Munchkinland, and 4…"
1 hour ago
Scott Hall replied to Scott Hall's discussion Box art
"Thanks!"
1 hour ago
Metal hic commented on Metal hic's video
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

CBG Dorothy

"Hmm.   I would have thought Dorothy would be a four string girl."
1 hour ago