Hi guys! Well I've been lurking in the CBG world for a time. Now I want to build my own cigar box guitar!

I just want to know your advice for a beginner, I have a 19x25cm tin box which I want to use as the body of my first baby. Which tunning should I use for it? Or which scale length would work the best?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everyone will have an opinion on tuning and scale lengths.

The most common tuning seen on CBGs is DAD and GDG. That being said, any 1-5-1 interval would sound okay.

As for scale lengths, Fender, Gibson, Martin all run in the 24 1/2" to 25 1/2" range. 25" scale is pretty common on a CBG. As with the tuning, you can set the scale length to anything you want, but, remember that you will need different strings if you stray much from the above ranges.

As you will see a lot around here "there are no rules."

welcome. I did a lot of reading from this site before I made my first one and I have learned so much by doing this and that. With each new build you will learn something new and try something different, but I guess my advice is to read a lot for ideas and how things are done (and not to do), secondly, have fun doing it. After a build you can always build another.

I'd worry more about the tin box collapsing, especially the top, once you get it strung up. Fortify the box corners with some wood posts. You may also need to fortify the tin top' one way to do this is by installing a sound post, just like a violin, directly beneath the bridge, spanning from the underside of the neck to the bottom of the tin. You can also directly attach the neck to the top when running the neck through the tin, but you may not want to do this if you're planning on installing electronics. Siggestion: go get a cheap cookie, biscuit, or candy tin to experiment on first, if the tin you have has nice graphics.

You should post a picture of your tin.As far as scale length I agree with Tom T. As far as reinforcing the tin.I don't. Attachment posts where the neck enters and leaves the tin. Small gap between neck and tin lid. Mag pickups installed in the neck. I don't cut holes in the tin lid.Here are a couple of photos. You should check out AGP and Jim Morris pages as well . Hope this helps.

Realize now that this is an addiction. By the time you finish the first one you will be filled with ideas for the "better" next one. Erasmo gives good advice "enjoy the building process" and don't stress too much over getting everything to the optimum. Finish it. Play it for a while and decide what you like and don't like about it before you design your next one (and there will be another).

Almost too busy building the next one (plus CBG amps/ cutting wine bottle necks for slides, etc.) to play the darn things!  Just built my 7th, an acoustic 3 string resonator.  Donating it for a good cause fund raiser and am not sure I want to do another resonator.  The hole for the cone is a pain!

If its your first CBG I'll offer these few suggestions.

24 inch / 61 cm scale, easy to do the lay out for frets/fret-markers, a little less tension on the neck to worry over.

tune Gdg as that matches up with 93% of the tutorials on how to play it once you are done building

save the tin for a later build, do a nice through neck with a box of wood or wood-like-substance, tins have some special considerations/handeling/techniques that you will discover after building a few with wood boxes and start contemplating the tin...

Update! Guys I'm sorry I haven't posted the picture of the tin box, I've been reading your replies and I'm thinking my strategy, since I don't want it to bend or something so i've been searching for a wood alternative, or a cigar box.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

2017 Halloween Build-Off!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by harry thompson 8 hours ago. 31 Replies

Banjo question

Started by Rose Ericson in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Titch the Clown 18 hours ago. 46 Replies

Fretting?

Started by Joe Nanzer in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Joe Nanzer on Sunday. 8 Replies

Latest Activity

Chick Who Tinkers commented on Chick Who Tinkers's photo
Thumbnail

A1

"No worries, Chris. Hope your wifi gets sorted easily for you. We'll chat about all things…"
14 minutes ago
Dennis Reedy commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Postmaster 2 sample

"Dave when you finger pick do you use your fingers or finger nails... what do most people do?"
15 minutes ago
Dennis Reedy commented on ChickenboneJohn's video
Thumbnail

ZZ Top's "25 Lighters" on cigar box guitar

"Great lesson ,ZZ Top is my favorite band, more lessons on their songs would be great. You are a…"
23 minutes ago
Chris Lyons commented on Chick Who Tinkers's photo
Thumbnail

A1

"Hey love, my Wi-Fi's down. If it comes back up Ill message later and share how I tamed that…"
46 minutes ago
Primitive Acoustics commented on Primitive Acoustics's video
Thumbnail

Crank Wheel Cigar Box Guitar

"Twitch and Chick-Thank you so much for checking this out and taking the time to comment!!"
59 minutes ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Janis Wilson Hughes's discussion Scroll saw fret slot cutting - I need a thicker blade - help a sister out please
"These are what i use in my saw Janis, my saw takes pin ended blades, .5 mm is just nice for…"
1 hour ago
Mike Whitney replied to Mike Whitney's discussion Round peizo... feeling underwhelmed.
"Man, I know...! - and old enough to know better. I grabbed some 'chopstick' like scraps…"
1 hour ago
Muddy Creek Guitars commented on T-Gripped's photo
Thumbnail

Cancer Booth

"Great work for a great cause!"
1 hour ago
Muddy Creek Guitars liked T-Gripped's photo
1 hour ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Janis Wilson Hughes's discussion Scroll saw fret slot cutting - I need a thicker blade - help a sister out please
1 hour ago
"I just had a quick look, i suspect these are too long for your saw, [ 11"], but it gives you…"
1 hour ago
Erasmo Coco commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

BACKSLIDER TRICONE Cigarbox guitar ( TEST RUN 6)

"Thanks again Dave ! Glad you like it."
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service