Ya, it's been a long time. I want to get three done. This is the hardest of all three. Thought it would be awesome to get the fun one first. This will be a piezo semi hollow guitar.

The guitar will be made in four layers. The top is 1/4 ply. The second layer down is 1/2 ply. Third layer is 3/4 maple from a table top. This layer will support the neck. Bottom layer is another layer of 1/4 ply. 

First. Each layer will first be cut into 13 11/16 x 17 7/16 rectangles. Each piece of wood will get a 3x3 inch grid. There are three patterns. Each patter has 3x3 grid markings. So they will line up in the very same spot on each piece of wood.

The bottom layer gets two recessed plates. The will be cut out of and sit flush in the 1/4 ply. I'll have to start each with a knife cut. Then use a jig saw to finish them. These tow access plates will screw into the maple layer above them.

The maple layer will get three cavities cut out of it. One for the pots and jack. One for the three way toggle switch. And one large one on the left side, as your looking at it in a stand, of the guitar. 

The 1/2 ply layer is mostly one large cavity. There will be support for the output jack. And a block of the same wood for under the bridge.

The top layer will get holes for four knobs, the output jack and three way switch. There will also be a sound hole.

At this point the four layers are still rectangles. I'll first glue the top two layers together. Then cut the neck pocket out of them. Then glue the rest to make one block. Once dry I'll cut the body shape out. 

The two piezos. The one at the neck will be permanently sealed within the guitar. the only way to have access to it is to make a plate on the face of the guitar. Choosing looks over function. The second piezo will be under the bridge/

Two pics. The first pic is the maple layer. The second is the 1/2 ply along with the block for the bridge.

Views: 1382

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just substitute the pot and cap values for the ones you want. Both will be on in parallel and hum cancelling, so that's a plus.

Nice designs.  Best wishes, Cause. 

Thanks Uncle John. Even with the setbacks I'm still having a blast. Really hope I can salvage that piece of maple.

Paul. Guy at work is an electric engineer. I'll ask him about your popping problem. Those jazz basses are awesome. With two pickups wired like that they're meant to be heard as one. 

I've destroyed a few 5 way switches doing all kinds of crazy wiring. My first real soldering was on a five way. Learned real quick that heat doesn't only make the solder stick. It's melts plastic too. : ) 

Paul, I asked the guy at work. He really doesn't know. Not familiar with the passive electronics in a guitar. 

Got my neck in today. Yep, this is turning into an epic Greek tragedy. First I order two neck plaits. However GuitarFetish decided I only needed one. They only charged me for one. That's fine. Today I get my box in. Guess what. No neck plate. So I order two. They decide one and then don't ship it. 

Thanks for asking your co-worker, I suspect it is the impedance mismatch. But who knows?

GFS is usually good about returns or fixing problems with orders, so it should get worked out. Was the neck good?

As far as I can tell the there's only a few problems with the neck. Most can be fixed with a good sanding down. It's unfinished so that wont be an issue. The small brad like nail hole in the fingerboard is an easy fix too. I may stick this neck into a less paul copy I have. Check it's relief bend and truss rod. It's got a great feel to it. The back is like my 1970. A good satan finish on this will be sweat.

I do plan on giving it a played feel. Going to take 600+ sandpaper. Place it where the fold of my fingers and palm hit the neck. And run my hand up and down. Frets, fingerboard, binding and all. Then do the same with my thumb and the low E side of the neck. 

Today I learned how to fix problems with rosewood. Not that hard of a fix. I also got an email from GF. They'll be shipping out my missing plate. 

The only way I can get good pots on the cheap is if I buy them in bulk. Drops the price down from $5 to $7. Depending on the store. To around $3.5 for the same part. But I'll have lots of parts. Choosing to by five for $25 or ten for $35. Be nice if I only needed one kind of pot. I need three kinds. Some A250Ks, B250Ks and A500Ks. Or the five I need for $25 or $105 for pots-O-rama. 

this guitar has gone through a few changes. Decided it's going to be a one pickup electric. I'm dropping the piezo idea for this build. Still working with them, just not for this build.

First the major mistake will be on the back of the guitar. There will be a gap between the recessed plate and the inside of the guitar. It's going to be a small hole. May patch it with wood putty. 

The first pic is of the two part inside. The second is with both together. There will be an added piece of 1/2 for the center pickup and bridge. 

The 'hook' at the bottom right is to give the output jack a bit more support. This will be covered on both front and back with 1/4 ply.

My next step is to mark all the holes and pickup slot, sound hole and recessed pickup plate on the top piece. Then glue both the top and mid piece together. I'll then make a jig and cut out the neck pocket. Then cut the hole and recessed back plate on the back 1/4 ply. I'll glue it all together. Then cut the final outside shape.

this is a faked semi hollow body guitar. 

One project develops into needing more things. Spindle sander. Now that I'll be working with shapes I'll need one. Went on line and found lots of ideas. Some of them are really good. Some folks are going to kill themselves. But that's Youtube. Maintenance guy at work needs to borrow a spindle sander. I need to make a few. So he's going to see if I can get permission to barrow works hold cutter set. I'll make lots of extras in three sizes. 

Your right about youtube, funny stuff.

Ya, there's some crazy stuff on youtube. Some of these folks really shouldn't be operating power tools. 

Got the hole cutters! Got them home tonight. Set up my drill press with a scrap table. Got my 3/4 inch ply all lined up. Put the hole saw together. And it wont fit in my drill shank....... It's 1/2. My drill press only goes to 3/8. I know the guy at work really wants to get his coffee table done. So maybe, just maybe, I can ask really nicely. See if I can cut all my stuff with the companies drill press. 

Ironic. He's building a coffee table. I just cut one apart. : )

After coming up with the idea of making a guitar in layers I thought I was on to something new. Went on line and found lots of plans for guitars. All made the very same way. I'm still proud of my idea. I'm just as smart as they are. : )

Can you change the shank out?

You thought of on your own without help so be proud of that. Most people do a lot looking around instead of thinking, but if you can do both, the world is yours.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
57 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->