#1 resource for Cigar Box Guitars, Free Plans, How-To, Parts & More!
Cigar Box Nation is sponsored by C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply, your one-stop-shop for Cigar Box Guitar parts and accessories!
Keeping it simple. Using an Oliva box and a red oak neck. Will probably keep it fretless. 24.5" scale.
Closet thing to this is a bass refinish I did last summer. Have another refinish in the works, but my air compressor decided to crap out on me. The bass was a black Peavey Fury. I did a single color burst finish. [IMG]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/oldrookie_2008/Peavey%20Fu...[/IMG]
Cut the neck 1x3 in half to get two necks out of it. Have cut the box and have begun cutting down the oak to fit inside the box.
Tailpiece is too long and I'll cut that back down.
Classical guitar tuners, so I plan to route out the headstock. Haven't decided on a nut, or the bridge either for that matter, but have some brass hinge pins I may use. May use screws instead so I an adjust the string position and string spacing easily.
Made some progress today. Have the neck trimmed down so the lid will close and have cut the channel for the inline tuners.
Lots of clean up sanding to do, but it's coming along.
I picked up some brass hinge pins at Lowes. I cut the end off and have a nearly perfect round pin to use as the bridge and the nut. I cut the pin to fit the width of the neck and will use the remainder for the bridge
I'm not planning to fret this one so I don't need the strings to be real high off the lid.
I was looking at kitchen cabinet handles and thinking that the right one might make an excellent bridge at some point.
Got some more done this a.m., but no pics. My camera battery is out of charge, so pics will have to wait until later.
Did some shaping of the neck to make it more comfortable to play. Also did the grain-filling on neck to get it ready to put a finish on it.
Mixed black Mixol with wallboard joint compound and rubbed it into the neck, let it dry and sanded it back off. Looks pretty good at the moment. Fretlines will be marked, shellac next, then stain coat, then more shellac. Finally, several coats of lacquer to seal it up.
Will cut the nut slot prior to finishing. Bought a bone nut blank the other day for it.
Will likely drill the string holes and insert ferrules at that point.
I finished the neck with five coats of clear enamel and figured out some ferrules. I'll go with lacquer on the neck next time. Just easier to work with since it melts into itself and enamel doesn't.
I did a rough assembly tonight. Drilled two small holes in it and put some leftover strings on it just to see if it made noise. It does. Mild yea!
Haven't got the right strings...in fact, I have no idea what the right strings are. A bit more reading seems necessary.
Getting close to the end now.
Yup, thanks for asking.
Got it done. Learned a lot and have things I'll do differently already lined up.
Plan to build a four-string baritone next time and I'll use standard machine tuners instead of the in-line tuners I had for this one.
I screwed up the string spacing on the tail piece and I need to figure out something other than free hand drilling for the next one.
Think I'd like to try a three piece laminate neck for the next one. I'll also fret the next one.
For now, it really sounds good strung GDG and it intonated nicely.
I do need to learn how to play the things.
Here are the pics