EASY TO BUILD CIGAR BOX GUITAR: AN UNCLE CROW STYLE CBG IN ONE HOUR!!

Today we're going to have a step-by-step cigar box guitar building class!  The total time to build is about one hour, not including the introduction video, or video 8, where we're just playing the guitar.

Build a three string, slide cigar box guitar with the following items:

Materials

• wooden cigar box - $3
  • 1x2  - $1
  • three eye bolts, 3/16" x 3" , 24 thread - $1.50
  • six #8 washers - $.98
  • three wing nuts, 3/16", 24 thread - $.98
  • three 6/32 machine screws with matching nuts - $.98
  • machine bolt, 1/4" x 2" long - $.98
  • guitar strings, one pack - $5
  • three wood screws - 1 1/2" long - $.98

These items are really much cheaper than i list here. most of them are bought in bulk, so for just a little more money you could build a LOT of guitars. The prices listed above are the average hardware store price, if you were to buy the item in small numbers in individual bags from the pegs in the fasteners section.

Tools

• drill
  • 1/2" paddle bit for three sound holes (you could use 1/4 bit with six holes)
  • regular smaller drill bits
  • phillips bit
  • hand saw (box saw is best)
  • sand paper

Additional items

• guitar picks can be bought at most box stores
  • slides can be bought at home depot. go to the cabinet section, and ask for a 2" long 3/4" steel spacer. they cost $1.50, and are the best slides i've ever used!!

WORKSPACE, SUPPLIES AND TOOLS

NECK

NECK, EYE BOLT TUNER INSTALLATION AND BODY BLOCK

MOUNTING THE NECK AND SOUND HOLES

FRET CALCULATION AND FRET MARKERS

Fret Markings:  THANKS TO DAZEDLEMONPIE, the following fret measurements have been transcribed for us, and i've copied and pasted them here.

"i just written down all the fret measurement from part 5 of the video, I thought I would share it with those interested in building one.

The following are based on scale length of 59cm

59cm multiply .9439 (or any other scale length) equals your first fret location.  It should be marked as follows: 

1. 55.6cm   
  2. 52.5cm   
  3. 49.6cm   0
  4. 46.8cm  
  5. 44.2cm  0
  6. 41.7cm  
  7. 39.3cm   0
  8. 37.1cm  
  9. 35cm     
  10. 33.1cm 0 (G chord)
  11. 31.2cm
  12. 29.5cm 00
  13. 27.8cm
  14. 26.2cm
  15. 24.8cm
  16. 23.4cm
  17. 22.1cm
  18. 20.8cm
  19. 19.6cm"

STRINGING IT UP, STRINGS AND EYE BOLT TUNERS

TUNE IT UP AN PLAY!

PLAYING THE CIGAR BOX GUITAR : COLLECTIVE SOUL - "SHINE"

Views: 50708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That brings up another question.  I think you mentioned in your videos that this is the same build that you use on stage; how do you think it compares to other "stage worthy" instruments?  I mean I think the one I built is definitely far superior to any imported 6 string "beginner" guitar - but I'm not a professional musician yet.  I just play for kicks.

So how does the uncle crow style hold up in live performance?  Also does it have anything like a "life expectancy?"  Do you have to build a new one every couple weeks, months, years?

Thanks again,

Michael

Wichita Sam said:

Uncle Crow,

Since I have time on my hands (part of my convolesence), I finally watched the full set of your tutorials... Well done sir!

A couple questions.....

1. Have you ever just crazy glued the necks onto the box (especially cardboard)?

2.  Have you had any interested in 4 string, or fretted or dulci-strummer variations?

3.  Have you gone craft show, music festival sales with these?  If so, how were they received?

I've going to be busy in the Ozarks as part of my retirement and an Old Crow style CBG might be a fun thing to try out.

Again, thanks for sharing,

the best,

Wichita Sam

Yeah, I'd be happy do that.  It might take a day or two to get it worked out.  (I used to be a Navy journalist, and I'm still kind of a perfectionist when it comes to writing stuff like that.)  Do you want me to message you when I'm done, and you can check it for errors or omissions?

Crow said:

@michael glenn

you know, it seems i keep telling myself i'll sit down and do a full write up, but like i said in the videos, it seems like it takes less time to just build the guitar than it would take to write it all out LOL

michael, if you would have the time and would be so inclined to do a write up, i'd be more than happy to accept your help. if you would like to start with the notes you have, i'd be glad to do the final formatting and fill in any additional information that i may have been unclear about.

i'm getting so excited, i'm so happy to see others take so much interest in my method, this is exactly what i set out to do, discover and share!

Michael Glenn said:

I was actually thinking of doing a write up myself.  I've still got all my notes handy, I just hadn't got around to writing everything out in an easy to read format.  If that's something people are wanting, then definitely somebody should do it.

@wichita sam

man im honored to see you have interest in my builds, i've seen the incredible stuff you've made! i'll answer your questions below:

1. Have you ever just crazy glued the necks onto the box (especially cardboard)?

crazy glue? no. white elmers glue worked just fine, but took a while to dry. worked especially well with cardboard body. i expect crazy glue would work fantastically, so long as it was spread evenly on the primary surface.

2.  Have you had any interested in 4 string, or fretted or dulci-strummer variations?

actually the very first instruments i built were four string fretted, but were very complicated builds, and i wanted to keep whittling away until the final instrument was more basic and easier for everyone after me to reproduce. my first frets were square wooden toothpicks glued down and sanded, and later tried bent heavy wire. eventually i decided fretting instrument is more difficult and time consuming than i liked, considering the infinite accuracy and care that must go in to them to have a good sounding instrument. and i have made a handful of single string dulci-tuned instruments which used common staples for frets, used fishing line for string, worked out very well! i have considered a hybrid instrument which would have slide strings for chording and staple frets under the first and last string for noting leads and bass notes, but ultimately i like slide instruments to have a very high action, as they sound best this way, and does not work well for noting the string against the neck.

3.  Have you gone craft show, music festival sales with these?  If so, how were they received?

i have actually never taken any to a craft show or festival, and i want to BADLY, but i never have the resources to build many at once, nor the time to go to festivals.. which is a large regret of mine.

@michael glenn

about life expectancy and on-stage performance:

performance:

you simply have to see it in person. there's no way to say in an email what it's like, but it completely blows them away when i plug my guitar in, and get that thick, roaring powerhouse sound.  the quality of sound i achieve with my simple build sounds better than most expensive acoustic/electric guitars, and for a variety of reasons, but mostly because i PLAY it better. it has a clear, loud, beautiful tone that really comes through when plugged in.  you simply HAVE to hear it in person, plugged in to a huge full sized stage setup. there's no other guitar like it, and i only play my own builds on stage.

life expectancy:

if anyone recalls, there is a series of pictures from over a year ago, where NOX and i built like 6 of these guitars in the same night. the guitar that i perform with on stage now is one of that very series, completely original. every single show i perform at has been with this guitar. this guitar has been battered, dragged, soiled, and even left OUTSIDE OVERNIGHT IN THE GRASS on several occasions when i've been out camping, and the night time dew settles on it, and i shake it off in the morning, re-tune, and plug it in later that day to perform at the festival. this build, with its single-stick body, it practically fool proof. you just can't mess it up. i'll make a video of my axe this evening to show you how it has aged.  i would shudder to think of abusing any store bought instrument as i have my own, and it still sings as sweetly and growls as deeply as the day it was first built, and the stains, marks, and age that shows on it just gives it more character and "street cred".. the more i use it, the more i think it deserves to be used, lol

Crow,

First thanks for the kind words.  I have always believed that the CBG universe would grow to be big enough to have room for all  her children.....  And,  thanks for the response... I build a similar (?) instrument last summer when doing a workshop for kids building "cardboard guitars".... It ended up being a 4 string fretted on a medium sized Priority Mailer.  It's amazing how good cardboard can sound.  Anyway, thanks for being another port of entry into the CBG world for beginners and others....

the best,

Wichita Sam

Crow said:

@wichita sam

man im honored to see you have interest in my builds, i've seen the incredible stuff you've made! i'll answer your questions below:

crazy glue? no. white elmers glue worked just fine, but took a while to dry. worked especially well with cardboard body. i expect crazy glue would work fantastically, so long as it was spread evenly on the primary surface.

actually the very first instruments i built were four string fretted, but were very complicated builds, and i wanted to keep whittling away until the final instrument was more basic and easier for everyone after me to reproduce. my first frets were square wooden toothpicks glued down and sanded, and later tried bent heavy wire. eventually i decided fretting instrument is more difficult and time consuming than i liked, considering the infinite accuracy and care that must go in to them to have a good sounding instrument. and i have made a handful of single string dulci-tuned instruments which used common staples for frets, used fishing line for string, worked out very well! i have considered a hybrid instrument which would have slide strings for chording and staple frets under the first and last string for noting leads and bass notes, but ultimately i like slide instruments to have a very high action, as they sound best this way, and does not work well for noting the string against the neck.

i have actually never taken any to a craft show or festival, and i want to BADLY, but i never have the resources to build many at once, nor the time to go to festivals.. which is a large regret of mine.

sweet man! that mailer looks like the perfect platform for an instrument, it's always difficult finding a reliable source to aquire the same sized/make of box repeatedly for multiple builds, i'll get one myself and see how it sounds with a three string slide.. keep up the good work man!!!! thanks for the video!

Wichita Sam said:

Crow,

First thanks for the kind words.  I have always believed that the CBG universe would grow to be big enough to have room for all  her children.....  And,  thanks for the response... I build a similar (?) instrument last summer when doing a workshop for kids building "cardboard guitars".... It ended up being a 4 string fretted on a medium sized Priority Mailer.  It's amazing how good cardboard can sound.  Anyway, thanks for being another port of entry into the CBG world for beginners and others....

the best,

Wichita Sam

Crow said:

@wichita sam

These videos sort of opened my eyes to new ways to build a guitar. Thank you uncle crow for putting in the time to post these vids. Your hard work and caring is very much appreciated by a CBG nutball like me!!!!
I just did a write-up of my experience with building an Uncle Crow guitar.  It's a five-parter on my blog, and parts four and five deal with mistakes I made, and my overall impression of the design.  Check it out: http://www.cigarbox101.com/my-build-blog.html
Great read, Michael.
I notice that Uncle Crow never did post a video of how he turns his design electric. I would be interested to know where he places the piezo, if that's what he uses. Did you make yours electric, Michael? I will definitely check out your blog! Thanks!
Michael, I loved the blog. I am definitely going to attempt an Uncle Crow build. What did you think of the final sound? And, like I said above, I am eager to know if you added a pickup? Thanks again! Very helpful. I knew when I watched the videos that the eye bolt tuners were tricky; I just couldn't figure out what he was doing. So thanks for explaining that a little better,

I did not include a pickup.  I think I mentioned in my blog I've hardly ever used a power tool before - I'm even more behind the curve when it comes to electronics.  C. B. Gitty sells a piezo kit though that I want to order.  I'd love to have an electric guitar.  Of course, that also means building an amp...

I'm sure there are threads here that talk about how to install a piezo.  It's just so dang hard to find exactly what you're looking for...  You just have to keep digging until you find gold.  I know I've seen a good description somewhere.  Just like building a CBG, I imagine installing a pickup is simple once you know how to do it.

For final sound, check my video of "build 2" on my profile page.  I like the sound - it's loud enough that I can just hear when my nephew picks it up even if I'm at the other end of the house.

Also you should know that this build only sets you up to play slide guitar!  Not an issue, because it's so quick and easy to build and it is a lot of fun to play - just something to be aware of.  So when you buy your parts, get a 2 inch length of copper pipe.  Home Depot and Lowe's sell a 3/4" NIBCO copper coupling that makes a great slide.  The other thing Crow mentioned for a slide - I couldn't find it at my Home Depot.  The guy I asked looked at me like I was stoned or something and said "I don't think we have anything like that."  Oh well.

I also just finished a write up of my notes as kind of a supplement to the video.  (I had to write everything down and refer to my notes and the videos as I built.)  I should have a link to the write-up later today or tomorrow.

jim Kasmir said:

Michael, I loved the blog. I am definitely going to attempt an Uncle Crow build. What did you think of the final sound? And, like I said above, I am eager to know if you added a pickup? Thanks again! Very helpful. I knew when I watched the videos that the eye bolt tuners were tricky; I just couldn't figure out what he was doing. So thanks for explaining that a little better,

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
1 hour ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
2 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
2 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
2 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
2 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
4 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
7 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
11 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
12 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->