CONTEST OVERVIEW:

What instrument can you build that starts with a 2x4 plank?  We're looking for the most spectacular, innovative, interesting and artistic creations.  Note:  This contest will also include all instruments, whether stringed, wind, percussion or keyboard.  

We're challenging you to create new and exciting instruments starting with common 2x4 planks!  You should build to impress!

SUBMISSION RULES - NO EXCEPTIONS:

1. You must build a playable musical instrument using a common 2x4 plank* as the main component of the construction.
  2. Submit your entry by uploading two (2) different photos in the COMMENTS section below.  
  3. Add a 1 paragraph description of your instrument (parts used,building techniques, inspiration yadda yadda yadda)
  4. All submissions must be built by the person submitting them.
  5. Contest submissions end Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time US)

*Common 2x4 dimensional lumber, aka framing stud.  The 2x4 can be construction grade or top choice quality.

YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY THE STAFF OF CIGAR BOX NATION

PRIZES:

First place:  $100 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Second place: $50 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Third place:  $25 Gift Certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

THIS PAGE IS FOR CONTEST SUBMISSIONS ONLY.  

Views: 9045

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

2010 relic build, before I had heard of anyone building with a 2x5.   The White Owl, fretted (poorly) and tuned DGB.  This is an old fave and was in a lot of videos and was played in 3 KC fests.  Originally had a disc piezo and later changed to a Gitty rod piezo and equalizer.   Features 3 non matching tuners and a mildly crushed top.  Never played by Micheal Jackson.  Entry in the handsomest builder category.

2010 relic build, before I had heard of anyone building with a 2x5.   The White Owl, fretted (poorly) and tuned DGB.  This is an old fave and was in a lot of videos and was played in 3 KC fests.  Originally had a disc piezo and later changed to a Gitty rod piezo and equalizer.   Features 3 non matching tuners and a mildly crushed top.  Never played by Micheal Jackson.  Entry in the handsomest builder category.

Ok, I know I've got an entry in already but hey, I had apiece of 2x4 left over so I went with this. I'm calling it the fast and funky  2x4 fiddle since I made it in one day and didn't do much in the way of sanding or other niceties. It's based on pochette or travel fiddles I've seen. It's got a thin body and a pretty thin tone too. All the wood parts except the nut and tailpiece come from the 2x4. I'll have to replace the pine bridge soon since the strings are digging in pretty bad. 

My first lap steel, zebra humbucker , gold corners, plumbing drain sound hole, gold screws for nut and bridge, 3 strings, tuned to open G. Sounds great acousticly and electric. Please upload my pictures.....

Attachments:

Dang, you guys went all fancy on me...  I just took a Gitty 4-pole pickup, a fender jackplate, cut an old bass bridge in half and made a (2x3) diddly bow bass...

Of course, it sounds awesome...

https://soundcloud.com/john-sawyer-11/bass-34-scale-2x4

Maple neck, red oak fretboard, 2X4 body, sealed tuners, blues strings,bass pick up,plexi glass top, nickel frets, hardtail

"Everything you need, nothing you don't." I like it.

Papa D >  Clever, nicely done.

Plus, to use during the inevitable zombie apocalypse, a very effective-looking weapon! ^^

Here is my entry. When I saw Shane's video I thought it was great but too much work. I decided not to do any notching or cutting out of cavity sections. All the wood is from Home Depot and only length cuts were used.

I cut my 2x4 to Shane's specs without the head stock. I used a red oak plank 1/2 by 4 and cut it to length  leaving out a section for my pick up. I cut an angled head stock caused I liked the look but did not need to. All I had to do was Drill holes for the tuners and glue it together. After it set I gave it a coat of poly and went to bed. The next day I Added the tuners  and pickup and a jack on the side. I had to add a washer to the tuners but no big deal. It sounded great. All the parts were from my "junk" draw. I used a banjo bridge for the nut and an electric guitar bridge for the stop. I had 3 ferrules so I threw them on. Tuners, bridge from Gitty.

I downloaded multiple lap steel fret boards from the web and tries sizes from 22.5, 23, 24. 24.25 just by moving the banjo bridge/nut. Iended up with 24 as my favorite.

Things were going so well I decided to spruce it up. I used another red oak board from home depot (1/4 by 3 to make a fret board?). I used my miter box to saw the lines and used floor board crack filler to make the lines. It is held down with upholstery tacks so I can change it easily if  I want.  Bridge height is by 2 nuts and a bolt.

Great, I then  thought " why not add a volume and tone control?". So I had some junk pieces from my CBG builds (again HD) and made a box to put where the jack was. I was going to solder the controls on when I picked up my soldering iron from the wrong end. After the swearing stop I decided to leave well enough alone.

All done in a weekend with time here and there. A lot of fun (except the 3rd degree burns)Thanks Shane for the ideas.

Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
37 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
41 minutes ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->