CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017

CONTEST OVERVIEW:

We're challenging you to create new and exciting resonator instruments using paint can lids!  Whether its sinking a lid into your favorite cigar box guitar design or coming up with some new and wild musical invention, you should build to impress!  

The contest is for stringed instruments using a paint lid as a resonator.  The rest of the body can be cigar box or anything else.  

SUBMISSION RULES - NO EXCEPTIONS:

1. You must build a playable stringed instrument using at least one paint can lid as a resonator.
  2. Submit your entry by uploading two (2) different photos in the COMMENTS section below.  
  3. Add a 1 paragraph description of your instrument (parts used,building techniques, inspiration yadda yadda yadda)
  4. All submissions must be built by the person submitting them.
  5. Contest submissions end Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time US)

YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY GUITAR WORLD!!!

All submissions will be judged by our friends at Guitar World magazine!  Winners will be featured in an online column at GuitarWorld.com.

PRIZES:

First place:  $100 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Second place: $50 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Third place:  $25 Gift Certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

THIS PAGE IS FOR CONTEST SUBMISSIONS ONLY.  To discuss paint lid resonators and other homemade dobros, join our brand new group, Homemade Dobros!

Views: 5203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was my 2nd build !! I built this from left over wood / parts. 25 inch scale, with stain can lid resonator, peizo,  old yard stick from the antique store, and a box i was originally going to scrap or use to hold parts. The neck is maple, and is covered with Rub - Buf (copper color)   which acts as a great sealer !. I put a low  "E" string on, and tune to a low B for "growl".

Attachments:

It's usually due to the method you used to attach the pics Mike,no one edits the posts as far as i'm aware

Only talking from my own experience, different ways of attaching pics results in different displays, and i'm almost positive there is no one sitting there 24/7 editing posts

I am having a hard time with getting 2 images sent.  At any rate, all CBG builders should have a "beater" that they carry with them in their truck.  This is my beater.  The neck is the first neck I ever built.  I have had several bodies on it.  This one is home made of exotic wood that I call "van wood".  It is wood that I found in the back of my van.  I wanted a rather large body.  I tried several schemes for a resonator and found the paint can lid to be the most pleasing.  However, I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound.  So I "stressed"  it by going around the lip with a ball pein hammer.  I like the sound now.  I'll try to get the 2nd photo uploaded.  

Neck is Oak as is the fretboard.  Finish on neck is Tung oil.  Sounds good and is holding up well.

Gary

it's a three string fretless tuned gdg , the body is a box of a great italian red wine from tuscany and has two piezo pickups. initially i didn't want to make a resonator guitar but i discovered it did not sound good so i chenged my mind, now the sound is terrific!

Attachments:

This is my latest build and my first Paint Can Lid Reso CBG

I built my own cigar box, the neck is bolt in and fully adjustable. I used poplar for the neck and oak for the fretboard. I installed a Teisco Del Rey(TM)-style "Gold Foil" Magnetic Pickup with Volume & Tone controls, mono jack. Tuned to GDG on guitar strings 3,4,5, electric strings. Very nice sound. Bridge is movable. Has Sealed tuners. I stained the box a dark color and painted the can lid black  I also painted the sound hole covers black. The sound hole covers and the Pick up were purchased from CB Gitty :-)  See at www.clmcd.net

I don't think Paint Can Joe plays well with others.Just look what he did over a little spilled paint! Impaled that paint can with his paint roller,put a screen door spring inside,an then strung the dang thing up [with C.B.Gitty strings and tuners of course]. Well he was using RedRum paint though !!!!!! Guess I'll get it from Joe and keep it in the Skeleton Key Guitars collection .

Attachments:

Looks more like a two string diddley bow to me. I do wonder what it sounds like :-)

There's a video of it in the video section.It's electric!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Weird buzz as I turn volume knob

Started by Jerryrig240 in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Scavanged Sound (Pete) 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

2 unrelated questions

Started by Dustin Aurand in Cool gear discussion - that's not cigar box related. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 5 hours ago. 1 Reply

MYSTERY INSTRUMENT: What are these antique dulcimer things?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 7 hours ago. 45 Replies

Building with Aspen?

Started by Hal Robertson in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Rose Ericson yesterday. 2 Replies

Artistic Lap Steels Made from 2x4's (Videos + Pics)

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Steve Tucker yesterday. 22 Replies

Odd vibration

Started by David Blackburn in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by David Blackburn on Saturday. 5 Replies

Songs inAm

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Lane Martin on Thursday. 31 Replies

Latest Activity

John posted a video

Missouri Flood 2017 by John Seabaugh - Cigar Box Guitar Blues

I wrote and recorded this simple chorus today after driving around and looking at some of the flooding in the area. In case you didn't know, Missouri has bee...
36 minutes ago
Crowdaddy liked Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
1 hour ago
Crowdaddy posted photos
1 hour ago
Sharon Litwak posted a video

Diddley Bow Fun

I ordered a Deadly Bow from Shane Speal and it sounds awesome! Thanks Shane. I filmed the arrival with my GoPro and did my first video edit with Adobe Premie...
1 hour ago
Gary Wiese commented on Tom Talarico's photo
Thumbnail

new dulcimer 004

"Love it. Great design and craftmanship."
2 hours ago
Crowdaddy replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"The body is a spanish cedar cigar box.I removed the bottom and replaced it with a piece of book…"
2 hours ago
John Rivers commented on ChickenboneJohn's photo
Thumbnail

New guitar with Lace Alumitone pickup

"John your madness has no borders."
2 hours ago
JD Moor replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"That is fantastic, looks incredible"
3 hours ago
Blind Lemon Cello commented on Blind Lemon Cello's photo
3 hours ago
Wade replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"Thanks Darryl!"
3 hours ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"Great homemade effort Wade, ticks all the boxes for me"
3 hours ago
Wade posted photos
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service