In 2017, we challenged you to create new and exciting resonator instruments using paint can lids!  Whether its sinking a lid into your favorite cigar box guitar design or coming up with some new and wild musical invention, you built to impress!  

The comments below represent the submissions by Cigar Box Nation members.  Dig through 'em and get some inspiration for your own next project.

sponsor:  C. B. Gitty Tin Pan Alley Kit

The winners were...

The contest was judged by Damian Fanelli, online editor of Guitar World Magazine based on the photos you provided. 

The paint lid reso concept was the idea of North Hollywood, CA luthier, Matty Baratto.  He’s been building these ResoFiddles (the resonator version of his CigFiddles) since 1995 and has made them for Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl, Johnny Depp and others.  Not only was it amazing to see Baratto actually enter his #250 guitar in the contest, it was even more mind blowing that he was edged out of the #1 slot.  Here’s the top three winners:

Crowdaddy gets first prize, a $100 C. B. Gitty Gift Certificate and bragging rights.  Guitar World comments, “(this is) the one I’d most like to own.  I love the controls being on top… it’s nice and traditional with some extras.”

Matty Baratto comes in second place with his ResoFiddle #250.  He will receive a $50 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply.

Third place goes to Alberto Magotti.  Guitar World comments, “(this is) a very attractive box…cool looking.”  Magotti receives a $25 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply.

Views: 7447

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I am having a hard time with getting 2 images sent.  At any rate, all CBG builders should have a "beater" that they carry with them in their truck.  This is my beater.  The neck is the first neck I ever built.  I have had several bodies on it.  This one is home made of exotic wood that I call "van wood".  It is wood that I found in the back of my van.  I wanted a rather large body.  I tried several schemes for a resonator and found the paint can lid to be the most pleasing.  However, I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound.  So I "stressed"  it by going around the lip with a ball pein hammer.  I like the sound now.  I'll try to get the 2nd photo uploaded.  

Neck is Oak as is the fretboard.  Finish on neck is Tung oil.  Sounds good and is holding up well.

Gary

it's a three string fretless tuned gdg , the body is a box of a great italian red wine from tuscany and has two piezo pickups. initially i didn't want to make a resonator guitar but i discovered it did not sound good so i chenged my mind, now the sound is terrific!

Attachments:

This is my latest build and my first Paint Can Lid Reso CBG

I built my own cigar box, the neck is bolt in and fully adjustable. I used poplar for the neck and oak for the fretboard. I installed a Teisco Del Rey(TM)-style "Gold Foil" Magnetic Pickup with Volume & Tone controls, mono jack. Tuned to GDG on guitar strings 3,4,5, electric strings. Very nice sound. Bridge is movable. Has Sealed tuners. I stained the box a dark color and painted the can lid black  I also painted the sound hole covers black. The sound hole covers and the Pick up were purchased from CB Gitty :-)  See at www.clmcd.net

I don't think Paint Can Joe plays well with others.Just look what he did over a little spilled paint! Impaled that paint can with his paint roller,put a screen door spring inside,an then strung the dang thing up [with C.B.Gitty strings and tuners of course]. Well he was using RedRum paint though !!!!!! Guess I'll get it from Joe and keep it in the Skeleton Key Guitars collection .

Attachments:

Here's my paint lid reso banjo. Pretty much the same as my usual banjos except the lid is where I'd usually put a calf skin. Recycled banjo pot with a walnut neck and mahogany fretboard.

Inspiring.  A great build.  What is the material between the lid and the rim?

Hey Gary, If you're asking about the banjo, the black part is 1/8" baltic birch plyywood and the main body is a recycled banjo pot made from birds eye maple.

These two "Do-brothers" (just a couple of WILD and FRETLESS guys. . . ;-) are my 9th and latest build and are my first paint can lid Do-bro's (no one can build just one, you know . . .).

The "WILD" Brother (left side) is made from an all wood Olivia Serie-O 6x60 cigar box while his "FRETLESS" Brother (right side) is made with an all wood Olivia Connecticut reserve 7x50 cigar box.  Both these brothers feature oak through necks, sealed tuners, oak fret boards with burned in fret markers and side markers as well, floating bridges, piezo pickups routed directly to the 1/4 inch amp jack located on the front lower right side of each Do-bro guitar.  Both are tuned to an open GDG tuning and have "THAT" much sought after dobro sound when played.  The neck and tailstock on each CB guitar was protected with 4 coats of Tung oil for long lasting protection.

Additional photos of this newly completed "WILD and FRETLESS" "Do-Brothers" build will be posted to my profile in the photos section shortly. 

Attachments:
So here it is! Build #78 The Rat DeVil. This is a CBGitty paint can lid resonator challenge build. I started off with a stick of poplar, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head cigar box and a paint can lid. Half thru the build I decided I wanted it to be a "rat rod" build, my first! I had an almost empty spray can of flat black, and it did a perfectly piss poor paint job. Hand drawn rat, skulls, bass tuning peg and string, piezo disc and volume, and a double thick "live edge" black walnut fingerboard. It's a diddley-bass resonator! CBGitty parts used...Box corners, piezo disc, black ovoid jack plate X2.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
12 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
12 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
13 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
14 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
16 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
19 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
22 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
22 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->