CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017

CONTEST OVERVIEW:

We're challenging you to create new and exciting resonator instruments using paint can lids!  Whether its sinking a lid into your favorite cigar box guitar design or coming up with some new and wild musical invention, you should build to impress!  

The contest is for stringed instruments using a paint lid as a resonator.  The rest of the body can be cigar box or anything else.  

SUBMISSION RULES - NO EXCEPTIONS:

1. You must build a playable stringed instrument using at least one paint can lid as a resonator.
  2. Submit your entry by uploading two (2) different photos in the COMMENTS section below.  
  3. Add a 1 paragraph description of your instrument (parts used,building techniques, inspiration yadda yadda yadda)
  4. All submissions must be built by the person submitting them.
  5. Contest submissions end Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time US)

YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY GUITAR WORLD!!!

All submissions will be judged by our friends at Guitar World magazine!  Winners will be featured in an online column at GuitarWorld.com.

PRIZES:

First place:  $100 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Second place: $50 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Third place:  $25 Gift Certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

THIS PAGE IS FOR CONTEST SUBMISSIONS ONLY.  To discuss paint lid resonators and other homemade dobros, join our brand new group, Homemade Dobros!

Views: 5203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't figure out how to upload my pics

when replying  . click  this .  if saved  in your computer  .  (my documents s etc  ) you can select them from there . : example.

yeah i figured it was something to do with my not so smart phone. i dont get all these options on my phone. the browser software i guess

yeah   .. some phone formats  clash with it  .  try "desktop view"   in  your  phone  . 

or   can you see  "add attachments " ?  or "upload files " you can do it there too  , but it  just shows up as a link  to  the photo  .and  wont post  the actual photo on the  page . 

edit : i see you got it  //  nice  ;-)

Ok, 1 gallon lid with nut and bolt bridge and penny risers,fancy cabinet hinge tailpiece, Cuesta Ray box, maple neck with sorta classical style headstock. I love resonators and needed a new 4 string to play so I'm a painter by trade and said hell yeah paint can lid Reso!!
Attachments:

Had a bit of time so I decided to join the contest. Pine body, tapered and back angled oak neck. Walnut bridge and fretboard with medium frets. Fretwork is done and the action is real nice, Sealed machine heads. Handmade tailpiece, volume pot, and Fender single coil. 25" scale tuned to GDG with heavy strings. One liter paint can lids and that's about it. 

Cool build Milt!

Thanks Jim

Been awhile since I built guitars one at a time, so I took it slow and tried to do my best. It was a lot of fun.

Too freakin' cool!

Go Riders Go!

AGP #236, “Rűfűs - Gűts”, 3 String 10½” Block Rim Guitar, Scale: 584.2mm / 23 inches, Strings .046NW / .032NW / .022NW /, Tuning A / E  / a  /, built 10 months ago, this ‘Relic Style’ build was constructed using unknown recycled scrap Hardwood, and an old used cut down 20-litre/5-gallon ‘Paint Can Lid’, which was hand hammered and tempered by myself, an 8.8k Single Coil Foil Pickup is hardwired to the Output Jack.

No automatic alt text available.

Awesome AGP! Eye candy!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Weird buzz as I turn volume knob

Started by Jerryrig240 in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Scavanged Sound (Pete) 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

2 unrelated questions

Started by Dustin Aurand in Cool gear discussion - that's not cigar box related. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 5 hours ago. 1 Reply

MYSTERY INSTRUMENT: What are these antique dulcimer things?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 7 hours ago. 45 Replies

Building with Aspen?

Started by Hal Robertson in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Rose Ericson yesterday. 2 Replies

Artistic Lap Steels Made from 2x4's (Videos + Pics)

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Steve Tucker yesterday. 22 Replies

Odd vibration

Started by David Blackburn in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by David Blackburn on Saturday. 5 Replies

Songs inAm

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Lane Martin on Thursday. 31 Replies

Latest Activity

John posted a video

Missouri Flood 2017 by John Seabaugh - Cigar Box Guitar Blues

I wrote and recorded this simple chorus today after driving around and looking at some of the flooding in the area. In case you didn't know, Missouri has bee...
41 minutes ago
Crowdaddy liked Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
1 hour ago
Crowdaddy posted photos
1 hour ago
Sharon Litwak posted a video

Diddley Bow Fun

I ordered a Deadly Bow from Shane Speal and it sounds awesome! Thanks Shane. I filmed the arrival with my GoPro and did my first video edit with Adobe Premie...
1 hour ago
Gary Wiese commented on Tom Talarico's photo
Thumbnail

new dulcimer 004

"Love it. Great design and craftmanship."
2 hours ago
Crowdaddy replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"The body is a spanish cedar cigar box.I removed the bottom and replaced it with a piece of book…"
2 hours ago
John Rivers commented on ChickenboneJohn's photo
Thumbnail

New guitar with Lace Alumitone pickup

"John your madness has no borders."
2 hours ago
JD Moor replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"That is fantastic, looks incredible"
3 hours ago
Blind Lemon Cello commented on Blind Lemon Cello's photo
3 hours ago
Wade replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"Thanks Darryl!"
3 hours ago
darryl kernaghan replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"Great homemade effort Wade, ticks all the boxes for me"
3 hours ago
Wade posted photos
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service