CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017

CONTEST OVERVIEW:

We're challenging you to create new and exciting resonator instruments using paint can lids!  Whether its sinking a lid into your favorite cigar box guitar design or coming up with some new and wild musical invention, you should build to impress!  

The contest is for stringed instruments using a paint lid as a resonator.  The rest of the body can be cigar box or anything else.  

SUBMISSION RULES - NO EXCEPTIONS:

1. You must build a playable stringed instrument using at least one paint can lid as a resonator.
  2. Submit your entry by uploading two (2) different photos in the COMMENTS section below.  
  3. Add a 1 paragraph description of your instrument (parts used,building techniques, inspiration yadda yadda yadda)
  4. All submissions must be built by the person submitting them.
  5. Contest submissions end Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time US)

YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY GUITAR WORLD!!!

All submissions will be judged by our friends at Guitar World magazine!  Winners will be featured in an online column at GuitarWorld.com.

PRIZES:

First place:  $100 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Second place: $50 gift certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

Third place:  $25 Gift Certificate from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

THIS PAGE IS FOR CONTEST SUBMISSIONS ONLY.  To discuss paint lid resonators and other homemade dobros, join our brand new group, Homemade Dobros!

Views: 5856

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So here it is! Build #78 The Rat DeVil. This is a CBGitty paint can lid resonator challenge build. I started off with a stick of poplar, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head cigar box and a paint can lid. Half thru the build I decided I wanted it to be a "rat rod" build, my first! I had an almost empty spray can of flat black, and it did a perfectly piss poor paint job. Hand drawn rat, skulls, bass tuning peg and string, piezo disc and volume, and a double thick "live edge" black walnut fingerboard. It's a diddley-bass resonator! CBGitty parts used...Box corners, piezo disc, black ovoid jack plate X2.

here are my pics

Ok, 1 gallon lid with nut and bolt bridge and penny risers,fancy cabinet hinge tailpiece, Cuesta Ray box, maple neck with sorta classical style headstock. I love resonators and needed a new 4 string to play so I'm a painter by trade and said hell yeah paint can lid Reso!!

Attachments:

Had a bit of time so I decided to join the contest. Pine body, tapered and back angled oak neck. Walnut bridge and fretboard with medium frets. Fretwork is done and the action is real nice, Sealed machine heads. Handmade tailpiece, volume pot, and Fender single coil. 25" scale tuned to GDG with heavy strings. One liter paint can lids and that's about it. 

AGP #236, “Rűfűs - Gűts”, 3 String 10½” Block Rim Guitar, Scale: 584.2mm / 23 inches, Strings .046NW / .032NW / .022NW /, Tuning A / E  / a  /, built 10 months ago, this ‘Relic Style’ build was constructed using unknown recycled scrap Hardwood, and an old used cut down 20-litre/5-gallon ‘Paint Can Lid’, which was hand hammered and tempered by myself, an 8.8k Single Coil Foil Pickup is hardwired to the Output Jack.

No automatic alt text available.

For your consideration:  

Resofiddle, Cigfiddle #250. Spanish Cedar cigar box:  Replaced top with 5/16" Book matched Koa. 

Hand pressed brass screen hole covers.

Neck: Koa fret board and head plate.  Fiddleback Maple with Mahogany runners. Gold Grover Sta-Tite tuners, Gold Jascar fretwire and polished brass nut.

Resonator: Paint can lid. Waterjet cut/hand finished, spider and tailpiece plated in 24 carat gold. 

The resonator has several important modifications to improve sound and add "zing". 

One screw goes through the bridge, spider and lid into a 1 oz threaded brass slug soldered onto the lid.

This allows you to "tune" the resonators, resonate frequencies, just like the big boys!  

There is also a brass ring pressed and soldered around the inside perimeter of the lid to add rigidity and focus the sound to the arched back. Sorry, no pics...

Attachments:

Forgot the Fiddleback Maple binding on the neck...

…Fiddleback Maple binding and fretted, polished Cocobolo bridge.. I digress

Just finished this up as the nighttime bugs started swarming my shop lights.

#79 The S.O.B. (think SOS, change shingle to box!) This 22.5 inch scale diddley-bow resonator started life as an Arturo Fuente Double Chateau box, a neck I thought I killed when I first started doing this a couple years ago, a short scrap of yard stick, wire mesh waste basket cut up for soundhole screens, some old zinc coated screws, a paint can lid, some electrical nonsense and a 54 gauge low E string. There ya go! The S.O.B.

Attachments:

Hi , My Entry for the paint lid rezonator competition. Greeeeettsszzz A.D.

had the rong pic ! these are the right ones!

Attachments:

righto then.  drift wood from Whiritoa beach NZ after the last storm. 18 inch scale tuned Dad. 65mm paint lid. 5 loads of Danish oil.  no idea of the type of wood.  first fretboard that's not straight. ;) playable of course! but sounds a bit tinny.......

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Sound hole cover help

Started by LC in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jeff 'Bones' Reilly 37 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Homemade amp

Started by Joe Williams in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by RTZGUITARS 48 minutes ago. 12 Replies

How do I stop?

Started by Paul Cezanne in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Scavanged Sound (Pete) 3 hours ago. 3 Replies

2017 "Kick The Can" Build-Off contest - Canjos, Tin Can Guitars

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Richard Dean 4 hours ago. 120 Replies

Pig Nose Amp

Started by CboxGypsy in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by BeetleJuice! 8 hours ago. 11 Replies

Neil Young

Started by 43rd Shamrock in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Richard Dean 12 hours ago. 1 Reply

Shipping a CBG

Started by Ducati Scotty in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Ducati Scotty 13 hours ago. 35 Replies

Buzzing... I pickup 1 volume 1 jack.

Started by Jon Leslie/Runaway Veal Music in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by John Sawyer yesterday. 6 Replies

Cigars

Started by CboxGypsy in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by CboxGypsy yesterday. 22 Replies

Stroh guitar anyone? halp?

Started by Br Harold F Stubbs III in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Br Harold F Stubbs III yesterday. 9 Replies

Tools Question

Started by Shawn Doyle in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter yesterday. 29 Replies

20" scale string gauge

Started by Angry Rooster Guitars in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Timothy Hunter on Saturday. 31 Replies

Latest Activity

Jeff 'Bones' Reilly replied to LC's discussion Sound hole cover help
"hardwhear store its a shower drain cover or a pool shop spar shop . "
37 minutes ago
RTZGUITARS replied to Joe Williams's discussion Homemade amp
"detail detail"
48 minutes ago
RTZGUITARS posted a video

Rainbow Stew

Merle Haggard song except the first part RTZ Parlor guitar. 25 in. 12deg. rosewood fretboard mahogany body and neck Bear claw Spruce top groovers
54 minutes ago
Chris Lyons commented on Chris Lyons's photo
Thumbnail

6 string

"Thanks everybody. This one I slapped together from parts I had laying around. I doctored it a…"
59 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's video
Thumbnail

Bonesy plays Revers cutaway Diddley bow

"Thank you very much Richard for the nice coments mate always appreciated. "
1 hour ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

Wagon Wheel/ When I Look Up To Heaven

"Thanks Dennis! It’s the Cadillac of CBGs Mr. DMR Guitars, a shameless promotion there. I have…"
1 hour ago
Taffy Evans replied to Mark Taylor's discussion Looking for a Wiring Diagram
"Hi, I cant tell by just looking at a diagram, I'd have to wire it up and see. Just one…"
2 hours ago
Downtown Vinnie commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

That Old Dog -A different way -Lyrics by Unca John

"Thanks, hoss,you are far too kind.This riff been floatin round the banjo just lookin for somethin…"
2 hours ago
Richard Sundberg liked Uncle John's video
2 hours ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Vinnie & John Collaboration - co writing a song

"That phone call with Vinnie didn’t sound all that friendly , but it sure makes for a nice…"
2 hours ago
LC posted a discussion

Sound hole cover help

Can anyone tell me where I can find this kind of sound hole covers?…See More
2 hours ago
Richard Sundberg liked Downtown Vinnie's video
2 hours ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service