Did you know there is a fast-growing collection of FREE tablature for 3-string cigar box guitars over at CBN's sister site www.CigarBoxGuitar.com? It's true!

For those of you who aren't sure what tablature is, it is a way of writing out songs that shows you exactly where to put your fingers on the instrument to make the notes. There's even a video lesson by Glenn Watt to show you how to read the tablature and play it on a 3-string CBG.

The tab collection is up to about 45 songs, with 3 new ones just added in the last couple of days:

Here are some of the other categories of song tabs that have been posted:

Views: 3932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just wondering is there, or will there be, a selection of tabs for fret-less slide CBGs?

There's a real need for slide tabs. It takes a little practice to get the finesse to play lead with just a slide, but it can be done. When Glenn first started publishing fretted tabs, he and I had some communication over on another discussion area. Here are a couple of my responses (excerpted):

Oct. 18, 2014

"...I can make everything work on an unfretted, slide 3-string except for the 2-0-2 pattern 4 measures before the end. For that I need to put the slide on the 7th fret position and strum just the middle and bass strings--leaving the treble string silent. (I guess the tab would be x-7-7.)"

Later, Oct. 25, I got a little smarter (?)

"...After pondering some, I realized that I CAN play your "2-0-2" tab with the slide if I don't actually play the bass string. That way I can play both your tabs so far and the "2-0-2" just becomes "X-0-2" because I put the slide against the top string, second fret; play the middle string open; and don't play the bass string."

Meanwhile, in December,  I got a copy of Justin Johnson's tutorial DVD for slide guitar. He doesn't use tabs, but offers some excellent rote-learning lessons on a 4 string. For 3 strings, when he tunes D-F-a-d, leave out the F; when he tunes A-C#-E-a, leave off the low A; when he tunes A-E-a-c#, also leave off the low A.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/attachment/download?id=2592684%...

Here's a sample of what I've been trying to do with slide-only.

I can´t see any tablature :-(

Yeah! Took me a few minutes to figure it out. It's been a while since I looked at this.

1) Go to Ben's message at the top of this thread and click on a category: "Americana," "Spirituals," or whatever you want.

2) You'll get a page listing titles and part of their descriptions.

3) After choosing a title, click on the "Read More" button for that entry. Then (and only then) will a small version of the tablature appear--which you can click to download a full-sized PDF.

In short, the handy-dandy shortening of the descriptions causes the tabs to be hidden unless you click on the "Read More" button for a particular title. Possibly a bad design feature, but it makes the pages load faster because you don't pull down all of those images that you are not interested in.

I've started to make/translate some songs from either 6 string or 3 string into 4 string. Can I submit them? Is there anyway to get more 4 string tabs?

Are they blues songs? I would like to see them if you put them up anywhere. You probably can just post them on this thread.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

My music partner

Started by Richard Dean in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jim Morris on Wednesday. 2 Replies

To much HOLE

Started by Matt in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan on Tuesday. 10 Replies

VIDEO: The World's Most Irritating Instrument

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig on Sunday. 17 Replies

Latest Activity

Darwin Gentry updated their profile
21 minutes ago
Anders Kjærgaard posted photos
30 minutes ago
Anders Kjærgaard posted photos
51 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Ronald Hanes's discussion Question about 5 stringer guitar
"That's really nice Sparky. How are you liking the Gold Foil?"
57 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Paul Craig's discussion Short Scale Resonator Bass Build in the group Baritone Guitar (cbg)
"I lower the strings some to take advantage of the fretless finger board. Still high enough for…"
1 hour ago
Paul Craig commented on Richard Sundberg's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_3937

"If I had the money, I would be all over that. Good luck with your build. Dry fit everything to…"
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

SWAMP WITCH GUITARS ALBUM NUMBER 3 2017 PLAYERS PICK

"Thanks for  being a part of it man ;-) already got your other tunes reserved for #4  …"
2 hours ago
Erasmo Coco commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

Fall Whiskey Drinking Country Blues (2string cookie tin )

"Flaming Sambuca , warm the hands . Thanks Richard."
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Still Raining Winter Coming Blues

"Thanks Derek, Appreciate it . Mother natures sound effect.(-:"
2 hours ago
Kevin Perlic commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

SWAMP WITCH GUITARS ALBUM NUMBER 3 2017 PLAYERS PICK

"This is so dang cool! What a bunch of talented chaps! I'm just glad to be a part of it all.…"
2 hours ago
Snuffy Smith commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

Good Mornin Blues L .Johnson - A. D .Eker 1938-2017

"This is really nice. You sound great...voice too. Very relaxed and enjoyable."
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service