Just need a good confidence boost here chaps.

This is my project, I have put a maple centre block in a cut my neck joint which I am worried it too shallow? 

I have a cone to put in place and a gibson style bridge to go towards the back.

My electrical plan is to have a blending pot betweena  p90 and a piezo on the cone; tone and volume too.

Paint job, thinking high gloss Pelham blue apart from the back of the box where the origional cigar details are... Painted headstock too to match.

Can you guys have a look? Let me know your thoughts? I am worried about setting out with a poor chance of a good action... but I am trying.

Views: 1586

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rob,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the discussion.

How many strings are you having?

For a tail piece I tend to use a hardtail from eBay (China) which cost around £2.80 - you remove the saddles and use the base as in photo 1.

Previously on a 3 string CBG I have used a snake hinge and sawn off parts of one side of the hinge to give a hardtail for the strings (next photo).

Regarding your neck pocket - much depends on what height you want the strings ie low for fingerpicking, high for slide, or somewhere between for both.  In the final photo you can see the height my neck sits in the pocket and this is great for a low height for fingerpicking.

Regards,

David L.

Attachments:

Great only the last photo was posted.

Cut down snake hinge for 3 string

Attachments:

And the photo of the hardtail base as a tail piece

Attachments:

That last pic is a really great idea for his 6 string, and I love the fact you used a compensated saddle, makes positioning the reso cone a lot easier, probably a lot less adjusting the biscuit

here's what my neck/fretboard looks like with back angle, aids in finger-picking and bridge height adjustment.

I like the back angle

I dont think its all the way down in the pocket quite yet... I just pushed it in qickly to ask your opinion ;)

Do you think I need to make it lower? I was worried the whole thing needed to drop a further few mill....

it's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It will allow for a taller bridge for good finger picking

Hi, I normally place a straight edge along the fingerboard and measure the projected height  at the saddle position. Then add the string height and thats the ball park saddle/bridge height prior to fine tuning. 

Its hard to judge if the back angle is correct unless the neck is in its lowest fit in the neck pocket.

Also, and I could be reading the photo wrong, but there does not appear to be enough of the neck in its pocket to allow for the normal spacing of the four neck screws. I put a heal on the outside of the box if this the case for me.

I can show with photo if you want.

cheers Taff

Thanks taff!

Tomorrow I was planning on measuring the scale and finding where to cut out for the cone. So I will do as you suggest and use a straight edge and work out where the bridge will be. I hope I get it right!!!!! Still use the stewmac calculations?

As for the idea of a heel piece.... sadly you're right and I do need to sort that. I have a piece of maple left over from my huge oversized block in the box. I'll carve something fancy with that :) a shame really as I reckon I could have had space if I was more cautious.

See what you did Rob, ya went and got me starting back on my reso.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

smilingdog1 commented on 3 String Blues's video
19 minutes ago
smilingdog1 liked 3 String Blues's video
20 minutes ago
smilingdog1 liked Glenn Kaiser's video
22 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
18 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
18 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
20 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
22 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
22 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->