Hey all,

I got my first "resonator" CBG today. My builder used the higher strings from a 6-string set so that I would get more of a banjo sound, and that is why this new git is tuned to DGB. I've only been playing CBG for less than a year, and my first CBG is tuned to GDG. I am totally use to that tuning, so this new DGB tuning is throwing me off. LOL, I can't play any of my GDG songs on this new git.

Months back I downloaded the GDG chord sheets from CB Gitty, but now I am wondering how to play chords with this new DGB tuning. Does anyone know where I can find them? Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 4995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the other half of this chart

Thanks Richard. I'm working on creating a new one for us, with everything on it, for us 3-string players.

Snuffy, that DGB chart looks pretty good.  The B7 looks suspect to me.   That chart has a lot more than most players would ever use or need.   My advice is to learn some songs you already know on your GDG 3 strings.  Learn and practice in one key at a time and the easy and natural key to play is G with just 3 or 4 chords: G, C, D7 or D (your choice - on DGB, D7 sounds better to me) and Em.  

Get competent at those chords and chord changes then learn another key if you want.  My voice most often works in best in G, so that is what I play for the most part.  You learned the GDG type remarkably fast and well.

Remember the goal should be to have fun.

And, if all else fails, you don't like the DGB tuning, replace the strings and go back to what you've learned with GDg tuning.

Yup.  A second on that, Richard. 

I've been playing GDG for almost a year now. I want to learn a new tuning because it just adds so much more to explore - sound-wise. I really like the sound of this new DGB tuning. All I need is the chord charts for it - that is all. I am surprised as popular as CBG's are that we only have one chord set available online (Open G - GDG tuning), when there are so many other tunings. I'm an illustrator/graphics guy. I could put these sheets together very easily, but I don't know the chords, LOL. Somebody has to have mapped these out. I guess I just have to keep looking. It seems logical that I'd find them here. I'm surprised someone hasn't put a book of different tunings together. It would be a great resource.

I find it easier to work out the chords using the following (rather than learn loads of random chords).

Notes change as you go up the neck in the order
A _ BC_ D_ EF _ G _ A _ BC_ D.....

You can start at any letter and the progression is the same.

Notes B C   and   E  F run next to each other.
Between the rest is a space denoted above as "_"
This same position can be called for example in  A _ B  Asharp or Bflat ie each "_ " has two names.

The nut counts as a zero fret position so for your D string the notes run
D_ EF _ G _ A _ BC_ D
Or putting in the fret positions

0 1  23 4 5  6  7 8  910 11 12
D _  EF _ G  _  A  _  BC   _   D

Chord positions follows the same rules.

For DGB tuning, strumming all strings open gives you a G major chord. Following the rule

Chord    fret position

G             000
G#/Ab    111   
A             222
A#Bb      333
B             444
C            555
C#Db     666
D            777
D#Eb     888
E            999
F            10 10 10
F#Gb     11 11 11
G            12 12 12

The pattern repeats for the next octave.

Now for Am, Bm, Cm etc... omitting sharps and flats for simplicity

Am           221
Bm           443
Cm           554
Dm           776
Em           998
Fm           10 10 9
Gm           12 12 11

Again no extra space between BmCm and EmFm

For A7
A7           202
B7           424
C7           535
D7           757
E7           979
F7           10 8 10
G7          12 10 12

With a guitar due to the strings covering several octaves you can get the same named chords in a different position on the neck.

On a six string E is first learnt as
022100 or for DGB 210 so moving up the neck

E           210
F           321
G          543
Etc....

Em        200
Fm        311
Gm       522
Etc....

E7         010
F7         121
G7         343
Etc...

As you are using part chords from a six string 3 note chords may have different names if you use a reverse chord finder app.  This is because they are  based on six strings and make the best guess for the limited chord notes it has to work with.

I think the reason DGB has no chord chart us because you can use a regular six string chart and omit the EA e strings.

If you have the time it would be useful to make a diagram of the above for others to use.  The best simple diagrams I have seen for six string open tunings were produced by Alan Horvath

http://www.alanhorvath.com/Gchart.php

http://www.alanhorvath.com/Dchart.php

Best wishes,

David L.

I'm a former drummer. Tuned notation is Chinese to me. I play everything by ear on my Open-G tuned CBG. I couldn't even tell you what notes I'm playing or what the notes on the neck are...seriously. I pick the instrument up and feel my way around the neck randomly for notes that sound well together, and I memorize the order I need to play them in. If you were jamming with me and asked me what notes I was playing or what key I was playing, I'd say "I have no clue. You tell me, LOL". CB Gitty has chord sheets for Open G tuning - which shows all the chord fingerings for chords that are not power bar chords. I found that extremely resourceful in writing my own ditties, as sometimes I'm not crazy about the way a power chord sounds, so I just look up it's fingered counterpart, try it out, and toss it if it doesn't work.

Dave L. I read your post, but it doesn't make sense to me because I'm not trained AT ALL in tuned notation. Maybe if I was a 6-string guitarist it would all make sense, but to an old drummer it's Chinese, LOL. That's why I just need the chord charts. Those I understand, as I can see them visually, and try them out. But figuring it out based upon other tunings? It's not happening here. I can tell you all about drum music though...flams, paradiddle, ratamacues, various stroke rolls, etc, etc...but tuned notes? A, B, C, D, etc...I don't get it. I just pick up and play, and whatever sounds good I keep and work out.

I need chord sheets. I'll find them somewhere. I'm just surprised the only thing around is for Open G and nothing else.

Hi Snuffy,

It isn't so difficult if you just remember that you can start at any open note (what the string is tuned to) and after that for every fret you move up the progression follows the sequence from that open note with the sequence described

above (A_BC_D_EF_G_A_BC_D_EF_G_A_BC_D_EF_G_A......).

Pick a string and with a tuner in place run up the string neck fretting each note to observe the above sequence.  Repeat for all strings.

D string will run D_EF_G_A_BC_D_EF_G_A_BC_D

G string will run G_A_BC_D_EF_G_A_BC_D_EF_G

B string will run BC_D_EF_G_A_BC_D_EF_G_A_B

It will only make sense when you see it for yourself.

Sorry to labour the point but once this idea clicks it opens up moving chord shapes to you and then you

can work out most chords. .

Chords follow this rule too so strumming the DGB strings plays a G chord.

For the first 12 frets the chord will change as you go up the neck in the order

G_A_BC_D_EF_G

Putting this as a chord diagram you get

Does this help you follow what I am trying to say?

Regards,

David L

Yes, I understand your neck drawing diagram above. But aren't those the power chords? One finger across 3 strings? I get that. What I want to see is the other way of playing those chords on DGB tuning...you know, when the power chord just isn't cutting it and you need the other version of the chord (I don't know the terminology here). I have found with GDG tuning, that the power chord isn't always what I want, so I have to reference my CB Gitty Open G chord sheet set to see how the chord is played in another fingering. Those sheets have proven to be invaluable to me...I just wish I could find them for DGB.

Is the chart I edited down from banjo chords accurate for DGB tuning?

Hi Snuffy,

The same chord can be played using different strings on the guitar neck.  Keeping it as a simple concept with a six string guitar on the treble side you have the chord running from A down the neck (as shown previously) and on the bass side E running down the neck so if you concentrate on the DGB strings you get the following pattern

and taking it a step further these chord shapes can be used

To check out other chord options for a particular song this site offers several positions for the common chords

http://www.guitarchordsworld.com/a-variations/

Just chop off the EA e strings to get the chord for your guitar.

As you can play by ear you have a huge advantage - if a song doesn't sound right with the above chord progressions then check out alternate chord shapes for the chord that sounds wrong to you and see how the alternative 3 string version checks out.

I live in the UK and it is 2:40 am so I need to get some zzzzz.  I will look at the banjo chords tomorrow .

Regards,

David L.

PS if your computer chops off a bit of the photo (like my iPad) just tap on the photo for the full view.

That's so friggin' weird how the alternate for those power chords ends up being perfect looking identical patterns along the neck...the diagonals and the chords shapes on that 2nd photo. I'm use to seeing alternate finger patterns every which way, LOL.

Let me know what you think of my banjo chart. Why are A major, A sharp and B major looking the same??? Thanks Dave!!

PS - Justin Johnson has this booklet:

http://www.justinjohnsonlive.com/scales-and-chords-book.html

This might be what I am looking. I'm seeing scales in the photo, but not chord charts. And I'd kinda like to know what tunings are in his book. I just emailed him to find out.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter on Wednesday. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"www.cbguitars.ch auf FB This Bichsel"
9 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"Hallo, ich bin aus Solothurn. Lisa Stearns hat mich gefragt ob ich Dich kenne. Ich baue cbg. Gruss…"
9 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel liked Moritz Voegeli's profile
9 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for John Herrick
9 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Daniel Cook
9 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Skip Novakovich
9 hours ago
T-Gripped liked David Woodman 's photo
10 hours ago
Profile IconJohn Herrick, Daniel Cook and Skip Novakovich joined Cigar Box Nation
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

The Blues riff a Tutorial BCB 2024

"Yup Doug ! standart tuning for the four that el be missing the E's ADGB ,on the 3 Tree String…"
13 hours ago
Max commented on Max's video
Thumbnail

My second guitar

"Thanks everyone, yes well and truly hooked haha. If I ever put this one down it's to make…"
22 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Moritz Voegeli's discussion Joseph J. Rogowski about Current Based Pickup Design
" A few years later... Thank you."
22 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Jesus Thank You: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Monday was Faith Night; today was Faith Afternoon at the church (a 90 minute jam with some…"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->